What do we take from last night?

Exhibition games are hard to evaluate.   The Bengals didn't have their starter in at quarterback.   We didn't have Eric Berry either.  I wanted to see what the first team looked like and I have to tell you I was less than thrilled.  The offensive line after the first run by Charles got zero push.   Eric Fisher gives up a sack.  I watched Fulton and he was lost.   Our vaunted pass rush did little and Ron Parker,  coincidentally a star at my hometown community college,  may not make the football team if he has any more nights like last night.  

Special teams were awesome.  Chase Daniel,  despite the miscues,  looks like he will be our solid #2 qb.  Kelce, if he stays healthy,  looks to be the player advertised.   Bowe was invisible.   Another player that I thought played pretty well in limited action was John Henry Johnson our ILB. 

I know this is the first game of the season.  I cannot remember in the last 20 years a preseason game with so many points scored.  But we have to look at two areas of concern,   our offensive line and our defensive backfield.   We got no push against Cincinatti's first team.   And we looked lost in the secondary.     Best thing about having #1 in the books...no significant injuries.   But I think we have a lot of work to do and 30 days to get it done.

Running backs are a VERY solid unit to this team.  

Some shaky play on the O line and Secondary.

They got some great speed in the return game.  I don't know what it is, but Toub seems to have that magic!!  

Might just be more weapons on this team than people realize.

P.S.  My 7 year old son got out of bed and instead of turning on cartoons like he usually does, turned on the recorded game.  Puts a big ol grin on my face!!   

Sean Smith probably earned his starter job back, maybe by default.  Didn't see much of Cooper but maybe that's a good thing.  Parker better show more or he's not even on the 53.  Berry will make the secondary better, but the Chiefs will surely pick up a D-back off the waiver wire.

Special teams could be special again.  DAT is already an upgrade over McCluster.

Need to see more of the O-line but Fisher giving up a sack didn't bother me that much considering Smith held the ball too long and it's Fisher's first game back at LT.  I'm more worried about the interior of the line.

Gotta love the RBs, even Grey.  If Kelce stays healthy the TE position is no longer much of a worry in a pass happy offense.  I'd like to see DAT receive a few just to loosen up the opposing defense.

Summary:  I don't think the Chiefs are any better than average and with their schedule, they'll be lucky to win 8 games.  But with Reid in control and if a few second years players step up and if the Chiefs find a solid CB and if injuries don't pop up and if Manning sprains his neck and if Rivers goes into severe depression over an interception,...........then who knows?

Guest TomahawkChop

Here's what I came away with...

• Dee Ford is freaking fast off the ball.  He's got a chance to be special.
  • DAT looked every bit as good as advertised.  He's going to add a spark to the offense that McCluster never could and is equally as spectacular (if not better) on special teams.
  • Gaines played well - probably better than I expected.
  • O-line didn't look too hot.  If they don't come together fast they could be the downfall of what I believe has a chance to be one of the best offenses the Chiefs have had in a decade.  A saving grace might be that they're all very young and can learn and gel together (hopefully).
  • Chief RB's might be the best in the league from starter to third-string.  J. Charles is a beast and Davis looks like he's taken the next step.
  • The secondary minus Berry looked pedestrian at best.  Sean Smith's interception notwithstanding, they did nothing.  Good news is they're all very young and have a chance to improve.  I suspect there will be at least one waiver wire/FA addition before the regular season kicks off.
  • D-line got pushed around a bit more than I thought they should have early on.  A couple of new starters at end and a very physical Bengals O-line could account for that.
  • TE looks like it could be major strength barring injuries.

The Chiefs had that "it" factor last year in jumping to a 9-0 start and I saw a lot of the same last night with three returns for touch-downs and a 70-yard punt by Colquit.  

I'll make no predictions at this point as too much can happen over the next four weeks.  We shall see, but one thing seems certain and that is that the Chiefs will be an exciting team to watch again in 2014.

DAT is blistering fast..it was said on the radio that he was'nt even running his fastest .. man o man

we should expect Fischer to be struggling . last year he was injured and learning a new position..he'll come around  I hope.

DAT and Gaines looked really good. I think Ford has a ways to go. He got some pressure once early, I was hoping he would get a sack against the scrubs. Nice explosion, but he needs some bull rush, spin moves and better use of his hands. Glad they played him the whole game because he can develop into a really good rusher.

Oline struggled as expected. They need some time, but I think will be OK.

Safety is weak. LB looks good. Johnson ( not Nico) was all over.

RBs looked great.

Special teams is special.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. It's amazing how fans seem to get more wrapped up in a preseason game, not to mention the first preseason game then coaches do.

Agree, but it's our first chance to see how some of the new players react to game speed.  It wasn't important whether the Chiefs won or not, but the play of the secondary, line, etc. was worth watching and evaluating.

Agree, but it's our first chance to see how some of the new players react to game speed. It wasn't important whether the Chiefs won or not, but the play of the secondary, line, etc. was worth watching and evaluating.

I agree it was worth watching but what can you really tell about the first preseason game. 2012 KC blew out Arizona and look how they ended up. Last year they were beaten by NO and look who had the better season. I tend to wait for the 3rd game when the starters play longer.

All game one does for me is show me what the depth looks like and gets me anxious for the season.

KC has surprising depth at WR. Wilson, Hemingway, Bowe, Williams, Jenkins, and Hammond. Donnie Avery is on personal leave from camp. Many times this happens immediately before a trade. KC needs a young corner. Dallas has two really good wide receivers, but they have depth problems after that. They are about to cut Morris Claiborne. Morris Claiborne was a #6 pick in the first round of the 2012 draft. He is 5'11", 192 pounds, and runs a 4.5 40. Claiborne was defensive player of the year at LSU. His career has been marked by injuries at Dallas( wrist surgery, MCL sprain, concussion in 2012; dislocated shoulder, knee sprain, hamstring in 2013, will miss preseason 2014 with knee. In addition, Claiborne is a man on man cover corner, and Kiffin moved the defense to a zone. He does not fit their system. He was burned in the few games he played in 2013, and got into a scuffle with Dallas receiver Terrance Williams for playing "too chippy" in practice. He needs a change of place. He could not be this bad, and could become a very good corner if he can get over his injury problems and regain confidence. 

There is talk of the Chiefs trading a veteran. I think it could be Donnie Avery, and the Chiefs need a corner. This is one possibility. 

Fisher isn't showing dominance you would like to see of an overall #1.

Offense will be very good.

Secondary, in a passing league, is going to be a big problem.

Kniles Davis is very very good.

Knile Davis was impressive

The Chiefs need to move Sean Smith back into the starting CB role.  The secondary is bad.

The WR corp is not good, but I did like what I saw from Albert Wilson.

DAT should NOT be compared to DMC.  He's more like Dante Hall.  WOW!

JM Johnson looked good.  Nico may be cut.

Travis Kelce is freakin fast!  He should be a nice toy for Al.

The OL does not look good, as expected.

He hasn't had injury problems. He broke a leg.

That is his third broken bone stemming from football. He has broke both ankles as well.

Edit:

I am pretty sure it was both. I recall being relieved it was not the same one again. We lost him for Ryan Mallett's last year at Arkansas. prior to that he missed a season in high school to his first break.  When he broke the leg last year I felt horrible for him and figured he would need a lot longer to recover. He looks like he has bounced back much better from this one than he did in college.

That is his third broken bone stemming from football. He has broke both ankles as well.

Edit:

I am pretty sure it was both. I recall being relieved it was not the same one again. We lost him for Ryan Mallett's last year at Arkansas. prior to that he missed a season in high school to his first break. When he broke the leg last year I felt horrible for him and figured he would need a lot longer to recover. He looks like he has bounced back much better from this one than he did in college.

Didn't remember that.

Let's hope that trend changes.

Archived