What's your perfect offseason?

Yes, now that the season is almost over, I'm back with all my "what if" threads.  I thought it would be fun to see what would make everyone happy.  He's my first draft:

Current estimated cap space: approx 4 million

Cut Chase Daniel:  3.8 million cap space saved

Cut Donnie Avery:  3.5 million cap space saved

Trade Dwayne Bowe:  11 million cap space saved and I don't care what the compensation is LOL

Eric Berry Doesn't play in 2015:  5.5 million given back due to non-football injury inactive

New Cap:  approx. 28 million

Free Agents to Retain:

Parker - 500k

Avant - 500k

Hudson - 3 million

4 others at estimated 500k each....

Justin Houston - Backloaded contract that gets him 7 million this year

New Cap:  approx. 15 million

Get Tamba Hali to restructure/extend his contract.  3/yr 15 million.  He retires a Chiefs gets paid well to stay, the fans are happy, and we save money. 

New Cap:  approx. 22 million

Free Agency:

Sign Demaryius Thomas:  Backloaded contract that gives him 10 million this year

Sign Mike Lupati:  average contract 5 million a year

New Cap:  Approx 7 million

Draft: 

AQUIRE AMARI COOPER:  Use Bowe compensation, swap 1st round, 3rd, round, and whatever it takes to jump up and get Amari Cooper

2nd round:  Draft a Right Tackle

Comp 3rd Pick #1:  Draft Safety

Comp 3rd Pick #2:  Draft Corner

All other remaining draft picks:  BPA(would like Lockett if he's available in the 5th or later)

Cap after signing players:  approx. 2 million

Keep in mind that the chiefs have around 75 million in cap space come 2016, so future free agency/player retention has tons of wiggle room. 

I THINK that this is realistic in terms of contract costs, draft compensation, etc.  Just IMAGINE our future with Amari Cooper and Demaryius Thomas at WR.  We would know very quickly if Alex Smith is worth a damn or not if he has those weapons along with Avant and Wilson at WR, Fasano, Kelce, and Harris at TE, plus Charles/K. Davis/DAT at RB.  Our Oline would be infused with a veteran presence as well as rebuilding the RT position.  Our defense would get depth and have DJ and DeVito returning from injury, which would allow Poe to get some rest and have more presence as well.   

Thoughts and your own scenarios everyone?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In your scenario, there is way too much invested in the WRs with Smith as the QB. They would be wasted.

Smith has never had that type of WR, so while we wouldn't make Smith into a gunslinger, we'd get better production from him because 1) a great receiver would open up Kelce, Bowe, and Charles when defenses now limit, 2) the offensive line will be better next year, 3.) There will be more intermediate passes in such a system, 4) and while not expecting great difference, a few more deep balls to the added receiver.

So the question is, can Cooper be that great WR? When I say great, I'm not talking about production - I'm talking about great hands, fast, good reliable route running, work ethic to get going, etc.

Smith has 901 yards in the last three games. With 114 passes make that out to be 7.9 YPA. That's without a great WR. Before anyone says anything, Smith has his flaws and limitations, just saying that better #1 would help any QB, even Smith.

They better get a LG. They need a RT. I am not too sure the Chiefs need Fisher at LT. Perhaps they need a LT, and send Fisher back to RT. He hasn't accomplished much since moving to his position of choice. 

The problem I have with moving up to get Cooper at WR is it may be wasted. Wilson has been wide open, and either Smith cannot get it to him consistently or he cannot get it to him under pressure. I prefer to think of it as the later rather than the former. I still believe Alex Smith can be successful in this offense, but he needs the get better protection, and he needs to quick cutting the field in half. Smith always goes to his right, and he often scrambles too far to the right. This makes passing lanes more difficult. I would like to see what happens when Smith gets some support from the line. If he still scrambles then we have to figure something out. 

I say keep Bowe, but try to get him to lower his number. He is a team player, but his production is not as high as his salary would call for. He needs to give back some of that money. Bowe has kept himself in excellent shape. He can be a decent receiver for many years. 

I like your take Wichita. However, I think we should draft the best LT in the draft, and move Fisher's ass back to the right side.

I'm a firm believer in the 3 year rule for O-Linemen.  Minus the False starts Albert was about on the same level as Fisher his first two years....even arguably his 3rd year.  I still believe he'll be a serviceable lineman eventually.  Will he live up to his #1 pick?  No...will he be an above average LT?  I think so. 

I also believe that him being next to the McGlynn/Linkenbach disaster has been bad for him as well.  He's already trying to learn the position.  Try doing it while your side of the line is constantly loaded up on due to the weakness over there. 

Getting Multiple top tier receivers on this team will have a domino affect on this team in regards to the o-line.  Alex Smith can get rid of the ball faster when receivers get open, leading to defenses being forced to put more players in coverage, leading to Charles/Davis being able to get more carries with a line that isn't stacked against them.  In both scenarios, you don't need to have an extraordinary line.  If Alex Smith's average snap to release time is under 2.5 seconds, its damn near impossible to get sacked.  If the defense has to put more men in coverage to defend the pass, there will only be 4-5 on the line, allowing Charles/Davis to not need superior blocking, especially when running outside the tackles, where Charles is at his best.

Team is sold to a local wealthy buyer, keeps the team in Kc and understands what winning football is really about. Hopefully actually played the game.

As much as I would love to see someone pull a Mark Cuban with the Chiefs, the corporate marketing would be next.  Above all, I'd HATE that we'd end up playing our games at Sprint Stadium instead of Arrowhead....

Nobody takes on Bowe's contract. He will restructure or be cut.

First, the Chiefs would still be on the hook for his 3 million a year signing bonus even in a trade.  For another team, this makes him a much more manageable 8mil/7mil/7 mil cap hit the next three years.

As is currently stands there are 10 teams in the NFL that have over 29 million in cap space for next year.  This includes reckless teams like Raiders with  52 million, Jaguars with 43 million, Jets with 41 million, Browns with 37 million, and the Bears and Bucs with 29 million.  I would argue that any of these teams' history would make them dumb enough to take on Bowe's contract...lol

In your scenario, there is way too much invested in the WRs with Smith as the QB. They would be wasted.

If anything, my scenario would force Alex Smith to man up or get out.  This would end the Alex Smith argument that has split the Chiefs nation for the last couple years once and for all.   Kinda like the end of Matt Cassel in KC. 

If this backfires, this would lead the way for the Chiefs to finally draft that franchise QB.  Sounds like a win-win to me....lol 

Could probably get Parker or White at our pick and not lose anything.

I agree that one or both of those guys could fall to us and I also think that Green-Beckham's stock is going to skyrocket before the draft and put him in the conversation as well.  There is just something about Cooper to me that screams "Future multi-pro bowl receiver" that will be ROY and an immediate #1 for whatever team he ends up playing for.  I'm putting my talent evaluator hat on and calling him the next great WR and that in the end he will be considerably better than Parker or White...

I agree that one or both of those guys could fall to us and I also think that Green-Beckham's stock is going to skyrocket before the draft and put him in the conversation as well. There is just something about Cooper to me that screams "Future multi-pro bowl receiver" that will be ROY and an immediate #1 for whatever team he ends up playing for. I'm putting my talent evaluator hat on and calling him the next great WR and that in the end he will be considerably better than Parker or White...

He could also be the next Charles Rogers.

Ride,

Put me on your bandwagon...

Hunt is a great owner, he is doing what he can.  Going out and getting Reid and Dorsey was a good move.

He is going to keep the team in KC and keep the Arrowhead Logo.

I like Lupati and I agree with the three year rule on the Oline.  That said, watching DLinemen run right over DeLinker is not cutting it.  Harris is not cutting it.  Keep Hudson, Keep Fulton, Keep Fisher.

w

Ride,

Put me on your bandwagon...

Hunt is a great owner, he is doing what he can.  Going out and getting Reid and Dorsey was a good move.

He is going to keep the team in KC and keep the Arrowhead Logo.

I like Lupati and I agree with the three year rule on the Oline.  That said, watching DLinemen run right over DeLinker is not cutting it.  Harris is not cutting it.  Keep Hudson, Keep Fulton, Keep Fisher.

w

Isn't Alex Boone a FA too? I can't imagine SF keeping both Lupati and Boone..

Sometimes the Chiefs seem so close to being a good team and then they look like bottom feeders on other occasions.  Three things need to happen this off season for them to become contenders IMHO.  First, get another d-back.  Parker cost the Chiefs the playoffs in the OAK game out there and that just can't happen again.  The defensive stats are misleading when one considers the failures to get stops at critical times.  Second, fix the O-line.  Maybe if Stevenson gets out of the dog house, the RT position will be better, but a guard out of FA and some linemen out of the draft are mandatory.  Third, get TWO more WRs and give up on Bowe.  Wilson is a #3 and I hope the Chiefs get Green-Beckum or better out of the draft plus a FA.  I really think Smith can win here with an O-line and average or better WRs.  He has neither this year.

There's lots of other goodies the Chiefs need this off season, such as resigning Houston, getting Ford up to replacing Hali, getting DJ back or replacing the MLB position, etc., but without DB, WR, and O-line repair, this team will be looking at another 8-8 season.

I don't understand the hate on Hunt.  He's hired the best GM/Coach he could find and spent up against the salary cap.  What else is he supposed to do?

I THINK that this is realistic in terms of contract costs, draft compensation, etc.  Just IMAGINE our future with Amari Cooper and Demaryius Thomas at WR.  We would know very quickly if Alex Smith is worth a damn or not if he has those weapons along with Avant and Wilson at WR, Fasano, Kelce, and Harris at TE, plus Charles/K. Davis/DAT at RB.  Our Oline would be infused with a veteran presence as well as rebuilding the RT position.  Our defense would get depth and have DJ and DeVito returning from injury, which would allow Poe to get some rest and have more presence as well.   

Thoughts and your own scenarios everyone?

Keep imagining. The Chiefs will not trade up for Cooper and will not be able to poach Demaryius Thomas from the Broncos. It would also seem to be overkill for a West Coast Offense. 

With that said, while Smith has never had a true WR1 to throw to in all of his ten-year career, his biggest successes have come with modestly talented receiving corps that is capable of getting open when the offensive line regularly gives Smith almost three seconds in the pocket. If the West Coast Offense can be properly executed, separation comes as the game progresses.

Isn't Alex Boone a FA too? I can't imagine SF keeping both Lupati and Boone..

Alex Boone is under contract through 2015. He also held out with two years left on his contract (the 49ers since restructured his contract). While he was underpaid as a lineman for the work he did, I get leery about players that don't play out their contract.

Bowe will not yield 11 million in cap space.  He lost base salary guarantees of 8.75 million in 2014 and 1.5 million in 2015, that doesn't affect prorated signing bonus money.

His scheduled cap hit for 2015 is 14 million. His remaining prorated signing bonus is 9 million. He'll give KC 5 million in cap space. Had he not been suspended, 1.5 million of his 2015 salary would have been fully guaranteed, meaning he would have only yielded 3.5 million in cap space if cut this offseason.

The only alternative is a post-June 1st cut, where he could have his prorated bonus split between 2015 and 2016. In this case, he'd gain the Chiefs 9.5 million in cap space for 2015, but lose them 4.5 million in 2016.

Archived