Trade for Josh Gordon???

Shocked someone hasn't already put this out there.  What does everyone think?  From the sound of it this season won't count towards his contract, so for me, this is low risk, high reward. 

If he doesn't lose that contract year, you are basically looking at a 2-year, 1.9 million dollar contract.

I'd have no problem offering a 4th or 5th rounder for him and taking that risk...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shocked someone hasn't already put this out there.  What does everyone think?  From the sound of it this season won't count towards his contract, so for me, this is low risk, high reward. 

If he doesn't lose that contract year, you are basically looking at a 2-year, 1.9 million dollar contract.

I'd have no problem offering a 4th or 5th rounder for him and taking that risk...

There's just too much baggage with him. Some other team will make the mistake of giving away a fourth-round pick for Josh Gordon. It doesn't have the be the Chiefs.

I'll defer to resident cynic oldtimer's assessment:

he will be out of football by the end of next year

Josh Gordon failed to accrue a year of eligibility toward free agency in the NFL, but there will only be one year left on his contract with the Browns. If Gordon were to keep his nose clean, the team holding his contract might be able to tender him as a Restricted Free Agent, but those sorts of arrangements can quickly become acrimonious when you're talking about a player of Gordon's talent. If a team plans on anything more than a rental, they could be staring down a player demanding a massive contract even though encumbered by numerous off-field issues.

The Chiefs don't need that.

Mentally he's a nut job. Physically he's too talented for any QB on the current roster.

I really don't care about him being a nut job, I care about losing him for year if we get them and he does something stupid. If we could sign him off the street at that amount, of course, I would want him, regardless of any quarterback we have or will get. However, if we have to trade for him and he's likely to get suspended again, I don't trust him. The suspensions get successively longer.

I really don't care about him being a nut job, I care about losing him for year if we get them and he does something stupid. If we could sign him off the street at that amount, of course, I would want him, regardless of any quarterback we have or will get. However, if we have to trade for him and he's likely to get suspended again, I don't trust him. The suspensions get successively longer.

He needs to fix his career. He's not going to play with Alex Smith to fix his career. Thats to make him a non factor.  A guy like him needs to go to a team like the Patriots or the Colts a team that will let his talent shine not hold him back.  He has held himself back alot, he cant afford to come to a team like the Chiefs.  His Agent wont let him.

Guest shadow

I'm so tired of the Alex Smith bashing, we had the worst collection of WRs in the history of the NFL and a sieve of an offensive line but somehow that's Smith fault not Dorsey and Reid's!! So Gordon's talents would be wasted with Smith please give him a legit WR maybe he could really do something!! But I don't want Gordon because he can't keep his nose clean or head on straight!!!

I'm so tired of the Alex Smith bashing, we had the worst collection of WRs in the history of the NFL and a sieve of an offensive line but somehow that's Smith fault not Dorsey and Reid's!! So Gordon's talents would be wasted with Smith please give him a legit WR maybe he could really do something!! But I don't want Gordon because he can't keep his nose clean or head on straight!!!

Remember when  Dorsey tried to sign a legit WR last offseason? remember what happened? do you remember Dorsey crying talking about they h ad agree'd and Sanders and his Agent said no we didnt. They were never serious about playing in KC even coming off an 11-5 season with the Oline playing really well to end the season.  Sanders never ever wanted to come to KC, KC was just use as leverage and nothing more.  Saunders had 1500 yards, so he did the right thing.  

Its too risky for a WR to come to play with KC with so many question marks in the passing game. They just came off a season when no WR had a TD. Their Oline is in shambles. Ask yourself without being a Chiefs fan, would you want to play with Alex Smith after a season like this?   Or would you look for a team that has an established qb that will get you the ball?  

I bash Smith all the time, because i dont believe he's the right man to get the Chiefs to that next level, but what i stated are known facts.

Remember when  Dorsey tried to sign a legit WR last offseason? remember what happened? do you remember Dorsey crying talking about they h ad agree'd and Sanders and his Agent said no we didnt. They were never serious about playing in KC even coming off an 11-5 season with the Oline playing really well to end the season.  Sanders never ever wanted to come to KC, KC was just use as leverage and nothing more.  Saunders had 1500 yards, so he did the right thing.  

Its too risky for a WR to come to play with KC with so many question marks in the passing game. They just came off a season when no WR had a TD. Their Oline is in shambles. Ask yourself without being a Chiefs fan, would you want to play with Alex Smith after a season like this?   Or would you look for a team that has an established qb that will get you the ball?  

I bash Smith all the time, because i dont believe he's the right man to get the Chiefs to that next level, but what i stated are known facts.

Well, it was either Manning or Smith. Can't really blame Sanders here. 

Remember when Dorsey tried to sign a legit WR last offseason? remember what happened? do you remember Dorsey crying talking about they h ad agree'd and Sanders and his Agent said no we didnt. They were never serious about playing in KC even coming off an 11-5 season with the Oline playing really well to end the season. Sanders never ever wanted to come to KC, KC was just use as leverage and nothing more. Saunders had 1500 yards, so he did the right thing.

Its too risky for a WR to come to play with KC with so many question marks in the passing game. They just came off a season when no WR had a TD. Their Oline is in shambles. Ask yourself without being a Chiefs fan, would you want to play with Alex Smith after a season like this? Or would you look for a team that has an established qb that will get you the ball?

Everyone knows that I am a big Alex Smith supporter, but having said that, I agree with you. No receiver unless we severely overpay is going to want to come here. I do think that drafting a great receiver would help more than some people would think it would, but I agree that great free-agent receivers are coming here.

I don't think Sanders is great, but he is definitely about numbers. He doesn't have the confidence in himself to get the separation. Smith won't make throws often to tight windows and he does miss some receivers, but if the receiver can get separation, he could do well here. Not Calvin Johnson good, but Sanders good. Sanders looks better because of Manning and their system. Unless were going to get a Manning, I feel that Smith is sufficient to get Sanders sufficient numbers if Bowe comes back and oline improves, not great.

Drafting a great receiver, will do us good, either for Smith or the next guy or for everyone around that receiver.

To be fair, Kansas City isn't exactly the hub for big-name people to come to even without Smith. We would have to get somebody great to make up for that. We could definitely draft a quarterback, but that's no guarantee. Odds are that he wouldn't be great enough to make up for free agents not wanting to come to Kansas City. I am in support of that if Reid and Dorsey believe in the pick. I don't want it to just be a Dorsey pick.

He needs to fix his career. He's not going to play with Alex Smith to fix his career. Thats to make him a non factor.  A guy like him needs to go to a team like the Patriots or the Colts a team that will let his talent shine not hold him back.  He has held himself back alot, he cant afford to come to a team like the Chiefs.  His Agent wont let him.

Trapped in your own circular logic: Smith never played with the benefit of a quality receiving corps in a pass-first offense, and so Smith has never completed 1,000 yards in receptions to the same receiver in the same season, and so capable receivers don't come to Smith's team in free agency, and therefore Smith never will play with the benefit of a quality receiving corps.

One of Smith's best receivers in San Francisco was tight end Vernon Davis. Smith leaves and Kaepernick takes over. Without checking the stats elsewhere, try guessing what that talented player accomplished in 2014 after being 'freed' from the burdensome arm of Alex Smith:

a) 67 receptions, 792 yards, 6 touchdowns

B) 55 receptions, 697 yards, 10 touchdowns

c) 40 receptions, 588 yards, 6 touchdowns

d) 26 receptions, 245 yards, 2 touchdowns

The first three stat lines are actual Smith to Davis lines from various seasons, in none of which did Smith start every game.

The argument that Smith destroys the market value of his receivers holds no real water: Joshua Morgan got a nice contract from the Redskins in 2012 after his 2011 campaign ended prematurely due to injury: $12 million over the first two years of the contract with $7.5 million guaranteed. Emmanuel Sanders spent four years with Ben Roethlisberger, and only got a three year contract for $15 million with $6 million guaranteed (with additional money available in incentives).

If you did even half the homework I do when I post here, you would probably hate Smith a little less. The generalizations and stereotypes spouted by the anti-Smith faction are almost all egregiously incorrect.

you did some damned research for the wrong ass position.   Davis is a Tight End, IT means 0 for WR's wanting to play with Alex.    Kelce had a damned good year too with Alex hardly playing the first 6 games or so.

Anyways, all i can say is we will visit Smith Tenure as a Chief when its over and we are still waiting for that play off win.   Anyways, i hope Smith tears up the league and becomes Brady/Manning all in one over night. 

you did some damned research for the wrong ass position.   Davis is a Tight End, IT means 0 for WR's wanting to play with Alex.    Kelce had a damned good year too with Alex hardly playing the first 6 games or so.

Anyways, all i can say is we will visit Smith Tenure as a Chief when its over and we are still waiting for that play off win.   Anyways, i hope Smith tears up the league and becomes Brady/Manning all in one over night. 

It's a love/hate relationship with Smith. He does a lot of things well then he does some things that have you thinking huh? Still premature, but he needs more talent around him to win us a playoff game.

Wuh yeah, Josh Gordon. Such talent, such a waste. He wouldn't be a 2-year investment, he'd be a 1-year investment. He has 1 year remaining on his contract and the salary portion is $1,068,406. If I knew he'd be able to play the entire season, maybe I"d give up a 7th rounder. Then what though? You can't legitimately offer the guy the deal his talent requires after 2015. It would have to be heavy on incentives and voidable guarantees for off-field problems. And he'd have to want to re-sign.

Overall, my answer is No.

Is there really a difference? Seriously? They catch balls. Check the other 49ers that Smith played with: Kyle Williams, Mario Manningham, A.J. Jenkins, Randy Moss, etc. Smith was more effective throwing to them than Kaepernick was. I'm leaving out Michael Crabtree because I can't tell how much of his 2014 season was impacted by defenses figuring out Kaepernick and how much of his 2014 season was impacted by his achilles tear.  Don't tell me that Smith repels wide receiver talent. Your argument doesn't stand up to the facts.

Top wide receivers sign up to play for teams with joke quarterbacks quite often. Vincent Jackson has been running routes for Josh Freeman, Mike Glennon, and Josh McCown, while DeSean Jackson is catching passes from Colt Cousins III.

Is there really a difference? Seriously? They catch balls. Check the other 49ers that Smith played with: Kyle Williams, Mario Manningham, A.J. Jenkins, Randy Moss, etc. Smith was more effective throwing to them than Kaepernick was. I'm leaving out Michael Crabtree because I can't tell how much of his 2014 season was impacted by defenses figuring out Kaepernick and how much of his 2014 season was impacted by his achilles tear.  Don't tell me that Smith repels wide receiver talent. Your argument doesn't stand up to the facts.

Top wide receivers sign up to play for teams with joke quarterbacks quite often. Vincent Jackson has been running routes for Josh Freeman, Mike Glennon, and Josh McCown, while DeSean Jackson is catching passes from Colt Cousins III.

Yeah, V. Jackson has been a waste in Tampa. DeSean will regret going to Washington as well unless they figure out their QB fast.

And their career's are going kaput.   Jackson went to The Redskins thinking RG3 was going to be rookie RG3.   He didnt go there intending to catch passes from Kirk Cousins.  Plus, we dont have the cap room to overspend on a WR.  WE have to sign Houston to an insane contract, then next year they need to Sign Poe to a big contract. 

The Chiefs can get a WR if they overpay and sometimes you have too, but like i said, the Chiefs are limited on cap space. I think i read they can sign 1 good solid free agent and it might be wise to spend that on the Oline. They are going to need to help Smith stay in the pocket as much as they can. 

Dorsey has work to do.

And their career's are going kaput.   Jackson went to The Redskins thinking RG3 was going to be rookie RG3.   He didnt go there intending to catch passes from Kirk Cousins.  Plus, we dont have the cap room to overspend on a WR.  WE have to sign Houston to an insane contract, then next year they need to Sign Poe to a big contract. 

The Chiefs can get a WR if they overpay and sometimes you have too, but like i said, the Chiefs are limited on cap space. I think i read they can sign 1 good solid free agent and it might be wise to spend that on the Oline. They are going to need to help Smith stay in the pocket as much as they can. 

Dorsey has work to do.

I wouldn't be surprise if Dorsey drafts a few DT's to replace Poe after next year. We just don't have that kind of doe now.

Yeah, V. Jackson has been a waste in Tampa. DeSean will regret going to Washington as well unless they figure out their QB fast.

just seen on another website that Alex Smith completed 3 passes over 20 yards ALL SEASON.    He was 3 for 18 on passes over 20 yards. 

fvBvOVm.jpg

just seen on another website that Alex Smith completed 3 passes over 20 yards ALL SEASON.    He was 3 for 18 on passes over 20 yards. 

fvBvOVm.jpg

His weakness is the deep ball. We all know that, the NFL knows that which is why he needs a strong supporting cast to compensate for his inability to stretch the field. His intermediate accuracy is by far above league avg I might add. It can be done, but he needs more help. 

Alex Smith is what he is....a good but not great quarterback. As mentioned, he does some things well. But other things he simply will never be better at. He will never try to air it out. So I wonder what kind of a receiver would we need to get? Certainly not the type that is super fast and stretches the field. We need guys who are quick off the line (different than straightline speed), runs precise routes and has good hands. That really is what we need for a QB like Smith. Bowe is a decent receiver...but not for the money we are paying him. Improve the Oline...develop Albert and get in another receiver that will fit into the system. IMO that is the best case scenario.

fvBvOVm.jpg

And like most of the stats you've posted, that stat (which you misrepresent as "3 passes over 20 yards" when in fact Smith completed 40 such passes, 17th in the league) means absolutely nothing. The referees don't spot the ball where it gets caught; they spot the ball where the receiver gets tackled. Until the rules change, the stats you posted are nothing more than a statistical curiosity that says nothing about Smith's ability as a quarterback in an offense with little talent in the offensive line or wide receiver corps. It also happens to be how you run a West Coast Offense.

The fact that you post something like this proves you don't comprehend the difference between a West Coast Offense as run by Andy Reid with available personnel and a vertical passing offense as run by Norv Turner with the prerequisite offensive line and receiving talent. You're posting stats without context, and they aren't contributing to a legitimate discussion about what sort of quarterback the Chiefs actually do have.

Please do not respond with a senseless post about how YAC is somehow evidence of a quarterback's limitations. There are league coordinators who would kill for a quarterback that could get their talented receiving corps YAC.

And like most of the stats you've posted, that stat (which you misrepresent as "3 passes over 20 yards" when in fact Smith completed 40 such passes, 17th in the league) means absolutely nothing. The referees don't spot the ball where it gets caught; they spot the ball where the receiver gets tackled. Until the rules change, the stats you posted are nothing more than a statistical curiosity that says nothing about Smith's ability as a quarterback in an offense with little talent in the offensive line or wide receiver corps. It also happens to be how you run a West Coast Offense.

The fact that you post something like this proves you don't comprehend the difference between a West Coast Offense as run by Andy Reid with available personnel and a vertical passing offense as run by Norv Turner with the prerequisite offensive line and receiving talent. You're posting stats without context, and they aren't contributing to a legitimate discussion about what sort of quarterback the Chiefs actually do have.

Please do not respond with a senseless post about how YAC is somehow evidence of a quarterback's limitations. There are league coordinators who would kill for a quarterback that could get their talented receiving corps YAC.

This is how the NFL works. In ANY system, when there is 0 threat of something players and coaches will figure it out fast. When they figured out that the Chiefs are NOT going to at least try to stretch the field, the whole defensive gameplan changes.  It happened for us. Remember we were like 3rd in the league in rushing Every week both of our RB's were tearing it up. One would have 100 the other would have about 70 yards. Then  coaches are like, hey, these guys arent going to test us deep. lets bring the extra safety up and run blitz the shit out of these guys.   So defense did and what happened? All of a sudden our  running game went to hell.  

In the NFL you have to stretch the field at least try.  The Chiefs didnt all year until the game like 15 and 16 after the media local and national started drilling Alex for not stretching the field.    YaC yards are great, but they still arent stretching the field passes.    I remember listening to the local broadcast and even Len Dawson saying you gotta take your shot, if not the defense is going to stack the line and shut your running game down.  Well they stacked it and they stopped it.

Denver the last few years runs a dink and dunk offense but Peyton still went deep.     Manning is the king of short WC passes, but he knows you have to make the safeties respect that part of the game.

I think im done on this Site with talking about Alex Smith. We will just come back after his tenure and we will hear some kind of damned excuse why he wasnt successful.  Again, take a look at successful franchises in the NFL 95 percent of the great ones have 1 thing in common, a great QB.

L

Archived