Defensive Backfield Inside: B minus

Special Teams B minus

Coaching: B plus

Secondary has to be an A

Sorry

Guest Tomahawk hop

Secondary has to be an A

Sorry

I disagree. They were very good, but A grades should be reserved for impact players that make game changing plays. The defensive backfield was woefully short at creating turnovers. For that reason alone I could not give them an A rating.

I disagree. They were very good, but A grades should be reserved for impact players that make game changing plays. The defensive backfield was woefully short at creating turnovers. For that reason alone I could not give them an A rating.

And they didn't give up a 300 yard passing game all year with minimal turnovers in a passing league. Rivers twice, manning twice, Brady, Big Ben,.... We also boasted the number 1 red zone defense in football as well as no 30 point games. Sean smith was a star and so was Abdullah. Don't need turnovers to see that.

I can't agree with this. This unit arguably didn't meet the qualifications for a C: It gave up two game-changing fake punt conversions for a first down, gave away an additional first down conversion on a penalty, and hit on less than 80% of field goal attempts inside 40 yards (although hitting 80% on field goal attempts at 50 or more yards out was nice). A punt return and a kick return that each scored six points represented a measurable amount of good that far from outweighed the special teams' deficiencies.

And they didn't give up a 300 yard passing game all year with minimal turnovers in a passing league. Rivers twice, manning twice, Brady, Big Ben,.... We also boasted the number 1 red zone defense in football as well as no 30 point games. Sean smith was a star and so was Abdullah. Don't need turnovers to see that.

It's subjective.  I thought they were very good as a unit, and Smith shined, but this team very much needed turnovers to help them win games and the defensive back-field produced very little.  Furthermore, they were part of a defensive unit that, as a whole, gave up more yards per rush attempt than all but two other teams in the league.  In my book that effort does not get a grade of "A".  At any rate, it's certainly well down the list of areas in need of upgrade.

Archived