Will Dwayne Bowe be back with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2015?

The Kansas City Chiefs will be facing decisions on all their 2015 NFL free agents. They'll also be facing a decision on wide receiver Dwayne Bowe.

Bowe is entering the third year of his five-year contract. He has a 2015 cap number of $14 million, which is very high for a team without much salary cap space. The Chiefs can save $5 million against the cap by cutting Bowe. They can designate him a post-June 1 cut and save more cap space but then some of the savings would be pushed into dead money in 2016.

Bowe finished the 2014 season with 60 receptions for 754 yards. He did not score a touchdown as you already know. He is getting paid a lot of money but doesn't bring the production that you would think. The Chiefs have a major need at receiver so even someone like Bowe, who we all agree is probably paid too much at this point, is still important to the Chiefs.

That's where the problem comes in. It's tough to make an argument to cut Bowe when that would leave someone like Donnie Avery or Albert Wilson as the No. 1 receiver. The Chiefs could cut Bowe if they were able to sign a starting receiver, like Jeremy Maclin, in free agency. That's such an obvious fit that you have to think it's a legitimate possibility -- if the Eagles let Maclin hit free agency.

Maybe the Chiefs approach Bowe about taking a pay cut. He's a 30-year old receiver coming off 600 and 700-yard seasons. Most players seem to prefer free agency rather than a pay cut because the open market would pay more. I'm not sure what the right amount is for Bowe or what he could get on the open market. But it's not the $14 million that he's due.

I don't know what the solution is here. I just can't see the Chiefs carrying his cap number into 2015 but I also can't see the Chiefs cutting their top player at a major position of need. So I'm stuck.

Will Dwayne Bowe be back in Kansas City next season? To the polls we go...

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/1/5/7493697/dwayne-bowe-kansas-city-chiefs-contract-2015-free-agency

Most players seem to prefer free agency rather than a pay cut because the open market would pay more. I'm not sure what the right amount is for Bowe or what he could get on the open market. But it's not the $14 million that he's due.

I don't know what the solution is here. I just can't see the Chiefs carrying his cap number into 2015 but I also can't see the Chiefs cutting their top player at a major position of need. So I'm stuck.

Will Dwayne Bowe be back in Kansas City next season? To the polls we go...

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/1/5/7493697/dwayne-bowe-kansas-city-chiefs-contract-2015-free-agency

He won't restructure, he'll be untradable because of his contract, so he will most likely be released for nothing. He represents Dorsey and Reid's first mistake under the Chiefs' umbrella. Perhaps they will find his replacement in Free Agency. If their foray into Free Agency ends up being utterly futile, then they may be forced to keep him despite his high cap number.

The Chiefs are needing to replace a WR2 (Avery) and a WR3 (Hemingway). If they re-sign Jason Avant, that takes care of the WR3. They still need a WR2, and if Bowe goes, they'll need a WR1 as well.

Archived