What is Dwayne Bowe Worth?

Here is what we all know about the Bowe Situation:

• Due 14 Million this year, 13 million in 2016, 13 million in 2017
  • He is not worth nearly what he is scheduled to be paid the next three years
  • We can cut him with minimal loss due to his arrest

With all this in mind, I think that he's still worth keeping, but not at that price, and not as our #1 WR.  My question to you guys is a two-part question:

1. If you are the chiefs do you try to get him to take a pay cut to keep an experienced vet?
  2. If you do keep Bowe, what kind of contract do you think it would take to keep him? 

I personally would like to keep Bowe on the team.  We saw the pain Brady has gone through the last couple years with all new receivers.  Imagine how A. Smith will be.  In terms of a contract I would think cutting what he makes in half is fair, and probably what the market would yield for him.  3 yr/18 million, with some performance incentives.  Am I being too generous?  I really don't know...

Bowe gets no separation and drops a key pass every game or so.

Bowe also is also tough and does his very best to catch balls in traffic. 

Bowe is also VERY overpaid based on his production.

w

He's gotten plenty of seperation look at the Gif's that are floating around the interwebs Bowe gets open.  He is a pretty good route runner these days. He's not a speedster, but in the NFL he doesnt have to beat a  CB by 5 yards to be open, you just need a half a step.

I personally would like to keep Bowe on the team.  We saw the pain Brady has gone through the last couple years with all new receivers.  Imagine how A. Smith will be.  In terms of a contract I would think cutting what he makes in half is fair, and probably what the market would yield for him.  3 yr/18 million, with some performance incentives.  Am I being too generous?  I really don't know...

Bowe wouldn't take any contract that doesn't promise him more money than he will be paid on his current contract. That means that a new contract would have to promise Bowe somewhere in the neighborhood of an additional $3-6 million in guarantees (after approximately $9 million in signing bonus already paid), not to mention base salaries for the term of his contract. There's no possibility of restructuring the contract in a way that the cap hit against the Chiefs is less than $6 million in 2015 without delaying the inevitable: Swallowing a bunch of dead money to cut a receiver that can't play according to how his contract slots him. It's only going to get harder to take the $9 million dead money hit. The Chiefs have to do that this year, as they won't have it to spare in 2016.

Bowe doesn't deserve a new contract, so either he plays out 2015 as a $14 million WR2, or he gets released. There really is no other realistic scenario. In fact, the first scenario isn't very realistic.

And here's for all you Smith haters that want to argue that the Chiefs "need" Bowe for Smith's sake:

Travis Kelce, 2014: 67 receptions, 862 yards, 5 touchdowns, 1 fumble recovery for a touchdown

Dwayne Bowe, 2014: 60 receptions, 754 yards

One player was catching passes from Smith for one year, and one was catching passes from Smith for two. You tell me which one was more valuable. (Hint: Travis Kelce's salary cap hit in 2015 will be less than $1,000,000.)

Just imagine what Smith could do with an offense that didn't tie up ten percent of the team's cap money in a player that is the third-leading producer of yardage behind a runningback and a tight end. Dwayne Bowe doesn't even appear on the NFL's top-fifty list in either receptions or reception yardage, and a lot of the players above him didn't even play as many games as Bowe did.

And for you guys with Brady envy, the Patriots' defense was in the league's top-eight in points allowed, and tied for 13th in takeaways. Brady's one of the league's better quarterbacks, but he's not carrying a bad team. In the three games this year where the Patriots' defense allowed more than 25 points, the Patriots were 0-3. One of those teams that scored more than 25 points was Alex Smith's Chiefs.

It depends, on a WR rich team probably not much on a WR deprived team probably a lot. It's like with most commodities, supply and demand drives the cost of the product. In this case Bowe is very valuable to the Chiefs since they really don't have a better option on the field. Also it is not all about him which can't be said about most WRs in the league.

Bowe is a keeper, especially when there are no other alternatives. It is not his fault for having fewer yards. Bowe has lead the team in receiving yards for wide receivers. The problem has been three fold. First, there was an adjustment period between Bowe, and Smith. Second, the offense did not feature a WR as predominately, and it took time for the coaches to see his value. Third, the poor performance of the OL caused the Chiefs to be less than productive passing the ball this year. 

Bowe still needs to use his body better to shield off defenders. He is doing a better job, especially catching the ball. His drops are down. He is becoming more reliable. Bowe has been open, despite being the #1 option as receiver. I will say this again, Bowe is an ideal #2 receiver, but the Chiefs do not have a true #1. He is faster than he looks, and is running much better routes. Bowe is a huge reason for the large gains on runs, and receptions. He is a devastating blocker. 

I believe Bowe will restructure his contract. I think the Chiefs can get rid of some of the CAP hit, and I believe Bowe will be productive a lot longer than his current contract duration. He has kept himself in ideal shape, and has begun to understand the game. In short, Bowe has matured. 

What is Bowe currently worth? Considering the going rates, probably $8 M per. 

Bowe wouldn't take any contract that doesn't promise him more money than he will be paid on his current contract. That means that a new contract would have to promise Bowe somewhere in the neighborhood of an additional $3-6 million in guarantees (after approximately $9 million in signing bonus already paid), not to mention base salaries for the term of his contract. There's no possibility of restructuring the contract in a way that the cap hit against the Chiefs is less than $6 million in 2015 without delaying the inevitable: Swallowing a bunch of dead money to cut a receiver that can't play according to how his contract slots him. It's only going to get harder to take the $9 million dead money hit. The Chiefs have to do that this year, as they won't have it to spare in 2016.

Bowe doesn't deserve a new contract, so either he plays out 2015 as a $14 million WR2, or he gets released. There really is no other realistic scenario. In fact, the first scenario isn't very realistic.

And here's for all you Smith haters that want to argue that the Chiefs "need" Bowe for Smith's sake:

Travis Kelce, 2014: 67 receptions, 862 yards, 5 touchdowns, 1 fumble recovery for a touchdown

Dwayne Bowe, 2014: 60 receptions, 754 yards

One player was catching passes from Smith for one year, and one was catching passes from Smith for two. You tell me which one was more valuable. (Hint: Travis Kelce's salary cap hit in 2015 will be less than $1,000,000.)

Just imagine what Smith could do with an offense that didn't tie up ten percent of the team's cap money in a player that is the third-leading producer of yardage behind a runningback and a tight end. Dwayne Bowe doesn't even appear on the NFL's top-fifty list in either receptions or reception yardage, and a lot of the players above him didn't even play as many games as Bowe did.

And for you guys with Brady envy, the Patriots' defense was in the league's top-eight in points allowed, and tied for 13th in takeaways. Brady's one of the league's better quarterbacks, but he's not carrying a bad team. In the three games this year where the Patriots' defense allowed more than 25 points, the Patriots were 0-3. One of those teams that scored more than 25 points was Alex Smith's Chiefs.

Travis Kelce needs to work on hanging on to the football, then you could project him as the savior of the receivers.

Travis Kelce needs to work on hanging on to the football, then you could project him as the savior of the receivers.

I was responding to a user that suggested that the Chiefs needed to keep Bowe for Smith's sake because Bowe has two years of rapport with Smith. My response indicated that Kelce, who has had one year in the lineup with Smith, out-performed the player with two years' rapport.

Don't misunderstand me as arguing that Travis Kelce is the Chiefs' version of Rob Gronkowski. When I say that the Chiefs' have one of the worst receiving corps in all of the NFL, I'm not drawing a ridiculous line between player groups as if it matters whether a player is TE or WR. Kelce could be great if he can get the fundamentals down. I would even say that about Bowe. But few teams are as lacking in talent, skill, and savvy as the Chiefs are. It seems like the Chiefs have only receivers with only one of those traits; none of them have talent and skill and savvy.

Except he's a Tight End. WE already know the QB can throw to tight ends and that is great. We need the WR's to be thrown at as well.  IM tired of the dink and dunk for 80 percent of the pass plays.

Except he's a Tight End. WE already know the QB can throw to tight ends and that is great. We need the WR's to be thrown at as well. IM tired of the dink and dunk for 80 percent of the pass plays.

Receivers are the most targeted group.

WRs: 218 Targets, 129 Catches, (59.2%), 1588 Yards, 7.3 YPT,12.3 YPC, 15 drops (6.9%)

RBs/FBs: 135 Targets, 74 Catches, (54.8%), 729 Yards, 5.4 YPT, 7.7 YPC, 12 drops (8.9%)

TEs: 130 Targets, 75 Catches, (57.7%), 1111 Yards, 8.54 YPT, 11.6 YPC, 6 drops (4.6%)

Drops: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

Based on drops, percentages (yes, QB throwing the ball away affects these), and YPC, I do hope there are fewer passes to RBs unless DAT (Charles was good at drops in 2013, though).

Drop percentages are mainly Hemmingway and Hammond and RBs (Davis is the worst of the RBs).

For some perspective I asked Adam Teicher at ESPN for his Saturday mailbag and he said that Bowe's worth would be in the 5 million range.  I'm not the hugest fan of Teicher since he jumped from KCstar to ESPN, as he went from a positive voice of reason to negative 95% of the time, but I would think he has a decent look at this.  Knowing this, I'd offer Bowe 6-6.5 to keep him from looking to deep into taking his chances with being cut and be happy. 

Archived