Chiefs Window.....Expectations

I have stated that KC was not a Super Bowl Contender in 2014.  I also stated that 9-7 in 2014 ( due to the schedule and Cap situation Dorsey & Reid inherited) would be good enough for me.

That said,  I believe 2015 MUST be a year that Hunt, Reid and Dorsey target as a year the Chiefs make and WIN a Playoff Game.

I think the Chiefs window needs to be "opened" and by winning a playoff game, the team will be poised to contend for a SB in 2016 and Beyond.

w

and our QB does not have the arm strength to use those tools

True, but I don't think any of those tools open up any windows. Smith probably could smash it open with those tools. :) (The joke is switching from figurative to literal use of the terms, nothing to do with the QB.)

I'm sure we'll get Kaepernick in a year or 2 when SF casts him off for the next best thing. That's how we do business at the QB position. All the current Coaches/GMs are in "win now" mode so they are going plug in best available. It's up to the organization to build for a championship. Look at the QBs that are in the playoffs. I'm not going to bash Smith again. He doing well in his life with the skills that he has. But how will we win a championship with QBs that other organizations don't even feel are good enogh to start?

I'm sure we'll get Kaepernick in a year or 2 when SF casts him off for the next best thing. That's how we do business at the QB position. All the current Coaches/GMs are in "win now" mode so they are going plug in best available. It's up to the organization to build for a championship. Look at the QBs that are in the playoffs. I'm not going to bash Smith again. He doing well in his life with the skills that he has. But how will we win a championship with QBs that other organizations don't even feel are good enogh to start?

I agree on drafting a QB, but as to your last question, I won't rely on other organizations assessments of their players. They can make the wrong decision or play the player incorrectly and the quarterback could potentially be the man in the right system. We, of course, can make wrong decisions, too, whether that be by who we draft currently attain through free agency/trade.

The only thing that is certain is that you have to do your research and get who you believe is best for your team, short and long term. Don't be afraid to draft or to trade. Be willing to stand by your decisions but move on from them. And be accountable for them. I don't require one to admit they were wrong publicly, just learn from it internally whether that be for this job or next.

Lenny Dawson was a cast off, Montana was a cast off...Hell, you can argue Peyton Manning was a salary cap dump by Indy.

Smith has won more playoff games than any Chief QB other than Dawson.

Is he great?  No

Is he good enough?  Time will tell.

He has already proven that he can win playoff games...

w

fix the line you fix smith.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2015/01/05/alex-smith-offensive-line-effects-chiefs-quarterback/

Some might say that he check downs a lot, sure. But how many of those snap and pass plays would be a little bit further if Reid wasn't compensating for the offensive line? How many of those 6 yarders would be 15 if Smith felt he had time? Note, here, it doesn't matter whether he in fact has time or not, it matters whether he feels he does. Because if he feels he doesn't, he will unload quicker.

-Fix the Line, keep Smith on his feet and Charles on the Field. ( Charles was pounded this year with any number of devastating hits...)

-Improve the WR's from "far below average" to "average or better" in the draft and Free Agency,

- Continue to Develop Murray and Hold on to Daniel.

Is there a "Capable Super Bowl Winning QB" out there for the Chiefs to get?

w

So if we fix offensive line, are we capable of winning Super Bowl with Alex Smith?

You're going to get disagreement everywhere on this one. Everyone knows what I think, but I'm no authority and no one else is. Consensus mean little, too. Worse QBs have won.

Let's just fix the oline, draft a good receiver, draft a QB if Reid believes, develop, and go from there. Give a fair chance to Smith and the new guy. Or draft a QB higher next year (than would be this year) if this year's OL and WRs don't produce with Smith.

Looking at 2014 from 2013, the Chiefs had a #1 pick at LT, and a 2nd round LG (who was beginning to improve). Additionally, they had Hudson at Center, and we all know how he turned out this year. Finally, the Chiefs would have expected Stephenson to continue developing at RT. The only real question mark from last season was RG, and the Chiefs got two vets and a rookie to fill that position. The OL was far from perfect, but it would be safe to assume the Chiefs felt it would get better. 

Jeff Allen seemed stronger, and better prepared to hold down the LG position. However, Eric Fisher looked overwhelmed at LT. This was strange, because the common theory was Fisher would excel when he returned to his natural position. Instead, he looked worse. Hudson was very good, and Fulton won the job at RG. Although he was rough around the corners, Zach Fulton seemed to be a decent find for the position vacated by Asamoah, and Schwartz. 

The trouble started when Allen went down to injury. His loss forced the team to rely upon McGlynn, and Linkenbach at LG (neither fared well). Fisher had trouble getting beat to his left side, which is where he had trouble at RT last year (to the inside moves). Stephenson was found to be in violation of the NFL drug policy (most likely something similar to the improper use of Ritalin), and was out for the first four games. When he was due to return, he mysteriously lost all progress he acquired over the previous year. He seldom played. Harris was installed at RT. Harris was once a promising RT, but has never been the same since undergoing back surgery while playing for the Eagles.

RG was a swinging gate. RT was constantly beat around the corner, and this forced Alex Smith to run for his life to the right (which narrowed the field, and eliminated the passing lanes). Hudson held his own. Harris played much better than anticipated, but not to the level required. Fulton did great for a 6th round rookie, but his lack of athletic ability was hard to cover. As a result, there were very few running lanes for Charles to run, and Alex Smith was left making chicken salad. 

There were a lot of pieces to be addressed in the draft. The Chiefs knew they needed to find an eventual replacement for Tamba Hali. They lost a LT, and two LGs in free agency. They wanted to address the WR position, but receivers went fast in the draft, and the Chiefs were wary of Benjamin. Because Branden Flowers was too expensive to fit the diminished role he played on the Chiefs, they let him go. The Chiefs needed to find his replacement, and drafted Gaines to play CB. They needed to replace McCluster, and they did so with DAT. They took a developmental QB in the 5th, and got two offensive lineman in the sixth round. The first, Zach Fulton, was more prepared to play right away, but physically limited. The final pick, LDT, showed promise, but was way too raw to be depended on this year. 

I thought the Chiefs would have picked WR first, and RG second. I presumed they would find a speedy return man, a corner back. I also felt they would pick a safety. I did not believe they would choose to pick a DE, and certainly not with their first pick. I thought Bridgewater was the best value pick, and I did not believe Aaron Murray was worth taking. 

The Chiefs must address their offensive line this year. Nothing else matters if there are no lanes to run through, and the QB is on the run or worse. 

Might need one of these to pry that window open.  Man, it's been a long time.

fubar-400.jpg

ya need a rocket launcher or some C4 to get that damned window open. lol

I hope they  can win a play off game, its been way to long.

plus..

the terrible awful play of the LG position and the lack of physical ability at the RG position destroyed any chances of the RB screen game being effective...reids lovesto call that play and jamal excels at it.

Ok. Got it. Keep taking QBs who had a tryout with other teams and draft "developmental" QBs in the late rounds. Meanwhile successful teams are drafting QBs, keeping them and going to the playoffs every year. While we rotate a journeyman every 2-3 years and blame it on every other position on the field.

Ok. Got it. Keep taking QBs who had a tryout with other teams and draft "developmental" QBs in the late rounds. Meanwhile successful teams are drafting QBs, keeping them and going to the playoffs every year. While we rotate a journeyman every 2-3 years and blame it on every other position on the field.

Who are you talking to? Nobody here said not to draft a QB. Some have said that the QB stock is weak this year. I get that people push for OL and WR, but it's not exactly saying they'd be up in arms if Reid believes in a QB who they trade up for or falls into their laps.

What I've always said was that I feel Reid has to believe in the guy (rather than Dorsey - both agreeing would be best) and they have to put him out there when he's ready - you can develop sure-fire guys that aren't ready yet. If he's ready, play him.

What I said was that I didn't take other organization's assessments as gold. When one team, one team mind you, moves on, it doesn't make the QB a journeyman. Now, of course, you can be old, too much money to keep, or insufficient without being a journeyman. Orton is a journeyman and this has nothing to do with whether Smith is better or not. It's three or more teams thinking that they could fill a QB in for awhile. Cassel wasn't a journeyman until he left here. It was clear Pioli thought Cassel was going to be here for longer than he was and successful.

If not talking to me, who has been here saying to NOT draft a QB? (Which, again, is different from saying we MUST draft a QB.) It has to depend on who's out there, value, potential (dirty word), and what we have and who we need and how close we are and how ready they are, etc. No one's just going to say draft someone, anyone, as long as it's a QB and in the first or second round. That would be stupid. I'm giving you more credit than that.

I am not sure who he is talking to either?

If you want to draft a QB in round One then propose a plan to do so. 

If you want to "trade for a QB" then propose the trade.

If there is a free agent QB out there that the Chiefs should sign, put it out there.

I just do not see Winston or Mariota falling to 18 and after those two go, I believe all the other QB's in this draft are "development projects"

I wish the Chiefs drafted Andrew Luck, but it was not meant to be.

w

Who are you talking to? Nobody here said not to draft a QB. Some have said that the QB stock is weak this year. I get that people push for OL and WR, but it's not exactly saying they'd be up in arms if Reid believes in a QB who they trade up for or falls into their laps.

What I've always said was that I feel Reid has to believe in the guy (rather than Dorsey - both agreeing would be best) and they have to put him out there when he's ready - you can develop sure-fire guys that aren't ready yet. If he's ready, play him.

What I said was that I didn't take other organization's assessments as gold. When one team, one team mind you, moves on, it doesn't make the QB a journeyman. Now, of course, you can be old, too much money to keep, or insufficient without being a journeyman. Orton is a journeyman and this has nothing to do with whether Smith is better or not. It's three or more teams thinking that they could fill a QB in for awhile. Cassel wasn't a journeyman until he left here. It was clear Pioli thought Cassel was going to be here for longer than he was and successful.

If not talking to me, who has been here saying to NOT draft a QB? (Which, again, is different from saying we MUST draft a QB.) It has to depend on who's out there, value, potential (dirty word), and what we have and who we need and how close we are and how ready they are, etc. No one's just going to say draft someone, anyone, as long as it's a QB and in the first or second round. That would be stupid. I'm giving you more credit than that.

Great post, KCSL. My point is that the ORGANIZATION has avoided making a franchise QB a priority. For years. I understand that Andrew Lucks aren't available every year but they've had 40 years to find one. Every Coach/GM is going to do what's best for themselves. Short term. Especially in KC. Have an average team and loyal fans will flock. This is what will happen...... In a year or so, we'll decide that Smith isn't the man. New coach/GM and they are going to need to get the best available QB for some instant progress. Some other team will draft their QBOTF and let us have theirs for high draft picks. Then we will continue to draft QBs in the 6th round. Has this organization done anything different in years? Packers had Favre drafted Rodgers. 49ers had Montana brought in Young. I don't want to draft a QB just to draft a QB that is stupid but why not make it a priority to get a game-changing QB for years to come? I seriously don't have anything against Smith, he is a very average QB. I just want a Super Bowl championship.

I am not sure who he is talking to either?

If you want to draft a QB in round One then propose a plan to do so. 

If you want to "trade for a QB" then propose the trade.

If there is a free agent QB out there that the Chiefs should sign, put it out there.

I just do not see Winston or Mariota falling to 18 and after those two go, I believe all the other QB's in this draft are "development projects"

I wish the Chiefs drafted Andrew Luck, but it was not meant to be.

w

ONE of these years put together a package to move up and get a real QB. I've been watching the Chiefs for a looooooong time. We always settle for QBs. Look at the QBs that have won Super Bowls in the last 15 years. IT'S A QB LEAGUE! You can't touch them or their receivers. Oh wait, we drafted Blackledege in 1983 and remember how many people thought Croyle was going o be awesome. We're so deprived of a great QB, we don't even know what one is any more. It has to come from the top. 

Archived