Jack Del Rio.. New Raider HC

oldtimer

I think thats a good hire for them. Ogf course us Old Timers will Remember him mugging Otis Taylor in the Parking lot during the strike in 1982 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-278489.html)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000458717/article/signs-point-to-jack-del-rio-as-next-raiders-head-coach

Oakland Raiders hire Jack Del Rio as next head coach
  • 0ap3000000408080.jpg
  • print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png
  • By Conor Orr
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Jan. 14, 2015 at 04:37 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 14, 2015 at 04:50 p.m.

Jack Del Rio is the new head coach of the Oakland Raiders.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Wednesday, per a source informed of the deal, that the former Broncos defensive coordinator and Jaguars head coach has been hired to lead the middling franchise out of a playoff drought that began in 2002. Del Rio landed a four-year contract.

Rapoport adds that the Raiders decided Tuesday against sticking with interim coach Tony Sparano.

Oakland tipped its hand in terms of interest earlier this week, calling Denver the moment they were bounced from the playoffs for permission to speak with Del Rio again.

The coach is not a stranger to rebuilding projects, which likely made him an enticing option. The Raiders believe they have a franchise quarterback in Derek Carr and a future star in pass rusher Khalil Mack, two key positions to start building with.

In the meantime, he'll have to sort out a roster that is packed with a mix of pieces that are noteworthy in name but not complementary on the field.

Del Rio's choice in coordinators should give us more insight into how he plans to feature Carr and Mack.

In nine seasons as a head coach, Del Rio went 68-71 with a pair of playoff appearances.

• 1 month later...

I thought this was funny. At the end of the 2013 season I was on one of the big Raider boards arguing with some idiot fans. Nothing new. And I gave this prediction that got me absolutely torched by the home crowd:

"Funny to go back and see the whiny Raider fans pull the old "we don't get no respect" card over and over. Well you are sitting at 4-10 right now. Respect is earned and all that matters are wins and losses. The 2-14 Chiefs from last year just rolled your azz twice this year and are in the playoffs. After being 2-14! Oakland won't turn it around because Oakland CAN'T turn it around. The whole environment is poisoned. Now I hear "wait until next year"....you guys been saying that for a decade. Don't be shocked if Oakland is in the bottom ten teams after next year as well."

Of course I was talking about the 2014 season. Where did Oakland wind up? I say all that to say this...Oakland will be marginally better in 2015...but Del Rio will eventually prove to be another bust in a long line of bad coaching decisions. I say the Raiders are a 6-10 team in 2015.

Archived