Chiefs defeated both Super Bowl Teams

And again I say, they also lost to the 2 worst teams in the league. Sooooo...

I live in the "Show Me" state. :D

One talks about ability, the other talks about complacency. I'd rather have both than neither, but rather have that ability, obviously, than complacency. This year, we were the trap games for Seattle and New England and Tennessee and Oakland where the trap games for us. We, are somewhere in between those two, obviously. We are above those teams that will get complacent but also cannot beat other good teams. Next year, we should beat some of those teams without being the trap. We didn't have any of the trap games two years ago and I think we should try not to this next year. No complacency.

Good post Fanatic....

Chiefs are close, but this is a very important off season ( as is EVERY off season for contending teams)  I think Dorsey did great work shoring up the bottom of the roster over the past two years.  In fact, you could argue he was among the leagues best at this....

But

We have a different set of problems this off season.  We need to get some "impact" players on the O-line and at the WR position and retain key talent.

This off season will show us yet another side of Mr. Dorsey.

w

Good post Fanatic....

Chiefs are close, but this is a very important off season ( as is EVERY off season for contending teams)  I think Dorsey did great work shoring up the bottom of the roster over the past two years.  In fact, you could argue he was among the leagues best at this....

But

We have a different set of problems this off season.  We need to get some "impact" players on the O-line and at the WR position and retain key talent.

This off season will show us yet another side of Mr. Dorsey.

w

I agree with you, West. I think Dorsey's improvement of the depth of this team is an overlooked accomplishment. He came in with depleted draft picks and not a lot of cap space, and still really churned the roster. I think the depth improvement can be measured by the decent success the team had this year, even with a horrific rash of injuries. If the Chiefs had suffered that many significant injuries in pre-Dorsey years, they would NOT have been competitive with that many bench players.

You are also right, though, in saying that now he faces a much different task. Hope he can bring in more starter quality offensive linemen and some play-maker receivers.

Dorsey has to make this draft count.

Agreed. I like many of your selections as well. Shelton is not on the list for many Chiefs draft selections, but I like the pick. Drummond with the final third is a nice pick as well. It is reasonable for Uzomah to be there in the 7th, and fits a need. He could develop into a pass catcher, but should primarily be viewed as a blocking TE. 

And again I say, they also lost to the 2 worst teams in the league.   Sooooo...

I live in the "Show Me" state.    :D

Technically they didn't lose to the two worst teams in the league. Tampa Bay had a 2-14 record where Oakland had a 3-13 record.

If you look at stats the two worse offenses were Jacksonville and Oakland and the two worse defenses were Atlanta and NO. The Chiefs only lost to Oakland so again they didn't lose to the two worst teams in the league.

Oakland lost 7 of their games by 7 points or less, Tennessee lost 4 of their games by 7 points or less, and Jacksonville lost 2 of their games by 7 points or less. So again Jacksonville was one of the two worse teams in the league and again the Chiefs didn't lose to them.

So I showed you, they didn't lose to the worse two teams in the league. ;)

The Chiefs successfully outschemed two quality visiting opponents at a time when the Chiefs' roster was relatively weak.

Against the Patriots in week 4, Eric Berry was out and Donald Stephenson was still suspended. Donnie Avery would ultimately leave that game with an injury that put him out for half of the season. The Chiefs won 41-14. No offense in the league this year put up more points in a single game against the Patriots' defense than the Chiefs did.

Against the Seahawks in week 11, multiple Chiefs had already been erased from the roster for the year. The Chiefs won 24-20. No offense in the league this year put up more points in a single game against the Seahawks' defense than the Chiefs did in any game where the Seahawks didn't give up a turnover.

If the Chiefs' swiss cheese roster could beat these two teams, there's plenty of reasons to be confident about 2015. It takes a lot away from the Chiefs' effort in both of these games to insinuate that these were "trap games", and that these teams got caught with their pants down.

One thing I noticed in both of those games was the physicality of the Chiefs.....It seemed to me that the team was "up" for the big games and "down" for the not so big games.....( Oakland and Tennessee as examples) 

w

The Chiefs successfully outschemed two quality visiting opponents at a time when the Chiefs' roster was relatively weak.

Against the Patriots in week 4, Eric Berry was out and Donald Stephenson was still suspended. Donnie Avery would ultimately leave that game with an injury that put him out for half of the season. The Chiefs won 41-14. No offense in the league this year put up more points in a single game against the Patriots' defense than the Chiefs did.

Against the Seahawks in week 11, multiple Chiefs had already been erased from the roster for the year. The Chiefs won 24-20. No offense in the league this year put up more points in a single game against the Seahawks' defense than the Chiefs did in any game where the Seahawks didn't give up a turnover.

If the Chiefs' swiss cheese roster could beat these two teams, there's plenty of reasons to be confident about 2015. It takes a lot away from the Chiefs' effort in both of these games to insinuate that these were "trap games", and that these teams got caught with their pants down.

I didn't really think the NE/SEA games were us being the trap games for them, I was sloppily making a parallel between those games and OAK/TEN. I think the rain (though affecting both teams) was a bigger issue than the complacency I spoke of, but I still think we should have won.

One thing I noticed in both of those games was the physicality of the Chiefs.....It seemed to me that the team was "up" for the big games and "down" for the not so big games.....( Oakland and Tennessee as examples)

w

Yep. Then Bailey went down. That guy is good.

I didn't really think the NE/SEA games were us being the trap games for them, I was sloppily making a parallel between those games and OAK/TEN. I think the rain (though affecting both teams) was a bigger issue than the complacency I spoke of, but I still think we should have won.

Rain does not affect teams equally because teams don't field precisely the same rosters playing in the same schemes. Oakland's personnel and scheme were better suited for play on a soggy field. It's quite difficult to play anything but North-South football in a marsh, and the conditions negated the strengths of Jamaal Charles and the Chiefs' zone-blocking schemes as well as exposed the lack of power the Chiefs had in their depleted front seven. When the Chiefs did not face that disadvantage, they outscored the Raiders 111-51 since 2013. A lot of stuff went wrong that game that could have completely changed that game's outcome. I never thought for a moment that the Chiefs were complacent in their loss to Oakland. Schedule had broken against them. Weather had broken against them. They needed something to break their way, and nothing did.

The Tennessee game on the other hand was a train wreck from the start: In addition to the suspensions of two key players, injuries mounted quickly, a field goal was missed, and Avery was horrible. It's hard to be complacent heading into the first game of the season, and it's hard to identify complacency when pretty much everything that could go wrong did.

Complacency is a persistent problem with any professional sports franchise, but I don't think that complacency was the reason why any of the Chiefs' seven winnable games were lost this year.

I think what Fanatic is trying to say by creating this thread is since we beat both those teams the Chiefs are World Champions. They can play their Super Bowl but we know ;) :)

what do we know???

That the coaching staff was not able to get the team ready to play each and every game? Only the games against the good teams???

The Chiefs aint world champions till they earn it!

what do we know???

That the coaching staff was not able to get the team ready to play each and every game? Only the games against the good teams???

Everyone understands that if you didn't win in the Super Bowl, you aren't the champion. That's not the point FANATIC was trying to make.

It's hard to imagine that the Chiefs' roster could get worse in 2015 than it was in 2014. Only an avowed pessimist could go into 2015 thinking that the Chiefs couldn't beat the league's best teams on a given Sunday. Maybe next year the Chiefs will be playing for the right to play against the Seattle Seahawks for the league Championship.

Dorsey has to make this draft count.

Yeah..it's huge. I looked back at some of our drafts from 5-6 years ago. These are drafts where KC should be loaded with players in their prime. Instead I see a lot of names that aren't on the roster anymore. Few had any lasting impact. That has to change.

Everyone understands that if you didn't win in the Super Bowl, you aren't the champion. That's not the point FANATIC was trying to make.

It's hard to imagine that the Chiefs' roster could get worse in 2015 than it was in 2014. Only an avowed pessimist could go into 2015 thinking that the Chiefs couldn't beat the league's best teams on a given Sunday. Maybe next year the Chiefs will be playing for the right to play against the Seattle Seahawks for the league Championship.

Next year will be the one!!

Never heard that reference for the chiefs in my life.   :P

what do we know???

I guess I need to point out I was joking. That's why I used the smiley and the wink.

Archived