Still no obvious answer on Dwayne Bowe's future with Kansas City Chiefs

Earlier this offseason, I wrote that the Kansas City Chiefs should part ways with longtime outside linebacker Tamba Hali. This week, it is time to examine the future ofDwayne Bowe.

Bowe has been a polarizing player for years with the Chiefs. Since being drafted 23rd overall in the 2007 NFL Draft out of LSU, Bowe has put forth some terrific seasons and some of great disappointment. After posting 995 yards as a rookie, Bowe amassed three 1,000-yard campaigns over the next four years. Over that span, Bowe caught 31 touchdowns and made the Pro Bowl in 2010.

Since then, Bowe has failed to reach the 850-yard plateau. In fairness, Bowe does not have great fortune with quarterbacks, getting most of his passes from Matt Cassel,Brodie Croyle and the ever-conservative Alex Smith. Still, the facts remain that Bowe is about to enter the third year of a five-year, $56 million deal. After getting suspended for marijuana last year, Bowe voided the guarantees in his contract, giving the Chiefs leverage to either cut his contract back or release him completely with little penalty.

So, what should general manager John Dorsey do?

Dorsey should offer a compromise. Bowe would get a lesser amount of money, perhaps half of what remains on the deal with some of it being converted into a bonus. In return, Bowe will get some of his guarantees back, giving him some security. Without lowering his cap hit to around $5 million this season, it is impossible to see Bowe back.Dorsey should sit down with Bowe and his agent this offseason and explain the situation from Kansas City's viewpoint. The Chiefs, nor any other NFL team, are going to pay $14 million against the cap for Bowe's services in 2015. After three consecutive lackluster seasons, Bowe is not in high demand. Add in that Bowe is 30 years old, and the cash register is not exactly ringing.

Consider the position Dorsey sits in. The receivers were an embarrassment last season. On the free-agent market sits Randall Cobb and Jeremy Maclin, along with Demaryius ThomasDez Bryant and Michael Crabtree. Cutting Bowe with a post-June 1 designation would save Kansas City $11 million in cap space (also creating $6M in dead money in 2016). Instead of paying out a $14 million cap hit to Bowe, Dorsey could sign a premiere receiver and two starting-caliber offensive linemen at that price.

Bowe is a good player, but he is far from irreplaceable. While his blocking and leadership are commendable, the Chiefs can and will get by without it if need be. Dorsey is going to create ample cap space before free agency begins on March 10, possibly starting with cuts such as Hali, Donnie AveryChase Daniel and A.J. Jenkins. If Bowe is added to that list, Kansas City has $30 million in cap space instantly.

Buckle up, the offseason is going to be wild.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/1/21/7552021/dwayne-bowe-contract-future-kansas-city-chiefs-free-agents

Smooth operators retain Bowe at the right price and have enough cash to address the need for a real #1 WR.

Bowe placed all the meaningful cards in Dorsey's hand with his suspension.

Dorsey does not need to be "heavy handed"  as he can get what he wants done one way or another in regards to D Bowe.

w

Earlier this offseason, I wrote that the Kansas City Chiefs should part ways with longtime outside linebacker Tamba Hali. This week, it is time to examine the future ofDwayne Bowe.

Bowe has been a polarizing player for years with the Chiefs. Since being drafted 23rd overall in the 2007 NFL Draft out of LSU, Bowe has put forth some terrific seasons and some of great disappointment. After posting 995 yards as a rookie, Bowe amassed three 1,000-yard campaigns over the next four years. Over that span, Bowe caught 31 touchdowns and made the Pro Bowl in 2010.

Since then, Bowe has failed to reach the 850-yard plateau. In fairness, Bowe does not have great fortune with quarterbacks, getting most of his passes from Matt Cassel,Brodie Croyle and the ever-conservative Alex Smith. Still, the facts remain that Bowe is about to enter the third year of a five-year, $56 million deal. After getting suspended for marijuana last year, Bowe voided the guarantees in his contract, giving the Chiefs leverage to either cut his contract back or release him completely with little penalty.

So, what should general manager John Dorsey do?

Dorsey should offer a compromise. Bowe would get a lesser amount of money, perhaps half of what remains on the deal with some of it being converted into a bonus. In return, Bowe will get some of his guarantees back, giving him some security. Without lowering his cap hit to around $5 million this season, it is impossible to see Bowe back.Dorsey should sit down with Bowe and his agent this offseason and explain the situation from Kansas City's viewpoint. The Chiefs, nor any other NFL team, are going to pay $14 million against the cap for Bowe's services in 2015. After three consecutive lackluster seasons, Bowe is not in high demand. Add in that Bowe is 30 years old, and the cash register is not exactly ringing.

Consider the position Dorsey sits in. The receivers were an embarrassment last season. On the free-agent market sits Randall Cobb and Jeremy Maclin, along with Demaryius ThomasDez Bryant and Michael Crabtree. Cutting Bowe with a post-June 1 designation would save Kansas City $11 million in cap space (also creating $6M in dead money in 2016). Instead of paying out a $14 million cap hit to Bowe, Dorsey could sign a premiere receiver and two starting-caliber offensive linemen at that price.

Bowe is a good player, but he is far from irreplaceable. While his blocking and leadership are commendable, the Chiefs can and will get by without it if need be. Dorsey is going to create ample cap space before free agency begins on March 10, possibly starting with cuts such as Hali, Donnie AveryChase Daniel and A.J. Jenkins. If Bowe is added to that list, Kansas City has $30 million in cap space instantly.

Buckle up, the offseason is going to be wild.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/1/21/7552021/dwayne-bowe-contract-future-kansas-city-chiefs-free-agents

Bowe is a WR1.5 playing the role of WR1 and being paid WR0.5 money to do so, but this problem is bigger than his cap number. His play dictates that he can no longer be deemed the Chiefs' long-term solution to the WR1 position. As a result, his roster spot should only be paid for for as long as it takes to find his successor. Therefore, extending new guarantees to him would only prolong the issue: The Chiefs have to substantially overpay for a marginally significant contributor.

There is no contract device available that would enable Bowe to be re-signed at a price attractive to him and to the Chiefs that would make a $5 million cap hit in 2015 possible. Therefore, Bowe will only be with the Chiefs in 2015 if the franchise is unable to attract Bowe's successor in either free agency or the draft.

Bowe is a WR1.5 playing the role of WR1 and being paid WR0.5 money to do so, but this problem is bigger than his cap number. His play dictates that he can no longer be deemed the Chiefs' long-term solution to the WR1 position. As a result, his roster spot should only be paid for for as long as it takes to find his successor. Therefore, extending new guarantees to him would only prolong the issue: The Chiefs have to substantially overpay for a marginally significant contributor.

There is no contract device available that would enable Bowe to be re-signed at a price attractive to him and to the Chiefs that would make a $5 million cap hit in 2015 possible. Therefore, Bowe will only be with the Chiefs in 2015 if the franchise is unable to attract Bowe's successor in either free agency or the draft.

That's the thing.  Do you think any other team will come at the price he would want?  That's where the biggest Question mark will be with him and his agent.  

I don't think he will get much on the open market.

No doubt, the chiefs made a big mistake on what they paid him, but definitely hold the cards in this deal. 

Good read, and I agree with a ton of it. 

I will always make this argument though when talking about Bowe's stats suffering due to a lack of quality at the QB position.  Best years were with Croyle, Huard, and Cassell.  On top of that....he was splitting receptions with TG for several of those years. 

I'd personally like to keep Bowe, but not as a W1, and not at ELITE W1 money.  Anywhere from 4-6.5 million a year would be okay to me. 

I'd personally like to FA a solid #2 that would compete with Bowe for the W2 spot and draft our future W1 this year.  That way we at least have two solid WR2's while dealing with our rookie's learning curve...

That's the thing.  Do you think any other team will come at the price he would want?  That's where the biggest Question mark will be with him and his agent.  

I don't think he will get much on the open market.

No doubt, the chiefs made a big mistake on what they paid him, but definitely hold the cards in this deal. 

If you assume that there are no offsets allowed in Bowe's current contract, he would lose $11,000,000 in salary if he were cut. There will be a team out there that will guarantee him his first year's base salary, and at least a $10,000,000 signing bonus. He'd rather be cut. He won't restructure. He's got nothing to lose.

Bowe needs to stay.  Hopefully, he will restructure.

Regardless of the opinions of most on here, I still think he is a good receiver.  This is a guy who has put up 3 1000 yard seasons and one with 995 yds.  All with the likes of Huard, Thigpen, and Cassel throwing the ball. 

Bowe needs to stay. Hopefully, he will restructure.

Regardless of the opinions of most on here, I still think he is a good receiver. This is a guy who has put up 3 1000 yard seasons and one with 995 yds. All with the likes of Huard, Thigpen, and Cassel throwing the ball.

I still think these quarterbacks forced it to Bowe because they couldn't spread the ball around, search for saying caused more interceptions to the quarterback and fewer yards for everyone else than otherwise, but I agree that we should keep him and I hope he restructures his deal.

Bowe needs to stay.  Hopefully, he will restructure.

Regardless of the opinions of most on here, I still think he is a good receiver.  This is a guy who has put up 3 1000 yard seasons and one with 995 yds.  All with the likes of Huard, Thigpen, and Cassel throwing the ball. 

He is a good reciever, not great but good. and what he has done in the past is more than Jenkins, Hammond or Hemningway could ever dream of...i would

say keep Bowe (restructure), Avant and Wilson and replace the others in FA or the Draft

Archived