Tamba Hali really wants to be a Chief: 'It's not about the money'

TAmba Hali really, really wants to come back to the Kansas City Chiefs next season. He made it clear on 610 Sports this afternoon with Danny Parkins and Carrington Harrison (listen here) that he is ready and willing to do what it takes to come back and finish his career in Kansas City. Even if that means, ahem, fixing his contract.

"It isn't about money," Tamba said. "The Chiefs have taken care of me financially. I have some good people in my corner who have positioned me to live a lifestyle a lot of people won't be able to live. I'm not one of those guys who gets all bent out of shape over money. I love to play the game and I want to win a championship in Kansas City. If money is going to be a hindrance in doing that, we'll find a way. It's not about money."

The reason we're even having this conversation is because Tamba is set to count $12 million against the cap next year. That's a lot of money for a player who admits he is aging and "can't defy nature".

IF MONEY IS GOING TO BE A HINDRANCE IN DOING THAT, WE'LL FIND A WAY. IT'S NOT ABOUT MONEY."-TAMBA HALI

Plus, the Chiefs have to pay Justin Houston, who will be franchise tagged if the Chiefs can't ink him to a long-term deal next month.

"We gotta get Houston paid," said Tamba, who signed his own five-year, $57 million payday in 2011. "However we can get Houston paid, I think that should be their No. 1 priority right now."

Plenty of other players have said "it's not about the money" before but this seemed sincere. Tamba doesn't seem like a guy who would say that just to say that. I think most everyone has agreed that the only issue with bringing Tamba back is his cap hit. If that can be adjusted in some way, what's the downside?

"I'm very optimistic [about returning to Kansas City]," Tamba said. "I love being in Kansas City. I've played nine years there. I enjoy playing for our team. I love the staff that came in. Andy [Reid] and his staff. So, yeah, I enjoy being there and I would love to finish my career in Kansas City. I can't imagine being somewhere else. I'm just being optimistic."

Ultimately, the decision on Tamba's future in Kansas City will be up to Chiefs GM John Dorsey, whom he hasn't spoken with.

WE GOTTA GET HOUSTON PAID.-TAMBA HALI

"I'll leave that to my agent," Tamba said. "My relationship with Andy Reid and our GM is different. I'm a player. I'm not there to talk business with those guys."

Tamba was very appreciative of the way Andy Reid managed his reps this year, both in games and practice. He said that the Chiefs have a coaching staff and a team that knows what they're capable of. He also had this line, which is a great way to end this post:

"The two teams playing in the Super Bowl, we whipped them at Arrowhead," Tamba said. "Whipped them. Our fans know. Our players in the building know what kind of team we have. We have to put it together. Money is not going to be the issue. It's gonna be health and the want to do it."

I think Tamba just pissed all over that "Doing him a favor by cutting him " bullshit.

I have to think Tamba is a realist. He realizes he aint squat without Houston on the other side and the chances of him being picked up by  another team for a lot of $$ with a Houston like player on the other side is simply not very probable.

He's a refreshing guy & I'd like to meet him.

he's still a good player..

and his ability to diagnose and destroy a screen is th best I've seen in awhile..experience counts.

as mentioned he's a realist and knows his big money is over...plus he loves arrowhead..the city..the fans..and the team..

he should be applauded for coming out and saying this...so refreshing.

He isn't elite but he can still play at a solid level. Tamba knows that Houston is elite and he has to play 2nd fiddle. Doesn't mean he can't do a lot of good things on the field. He is well liked, a good locker room leader, a hard worker. Restructure and keep him. Let him retire a Chief.

Wasn't he often nicked up again this year? It goes with being older, but lots of 30-sth D-line guys also have a great, late, healthy year or two. I think Hali could get that. He's high-motor + effort + experience.

And, yeah, what a guy. It seems certain he's sincere.

I hope the Chiefs can work it out where Tamba can retire a Chief. He never was elite, but he did more with his talent than most in the league. You can never judge a man's heart by appearance. Hali wasn't the strongest. He wasn't the most athletic, and he wasn't the fastest off the blocks. He was just always bringing it on every play. He has kept his body in exceptional condition. I take Tamba Hali at his word. I believe he is loyal, and willing to sacrifice for the city, and his team. 

I recall when Tamba Hali failed a drug test. It was probably for performance, but whatever. Most guys would deny it, fight it, and say they were wronged. Hali apologized. He went back to his college and sought out his coaches. He personally went around telling people he was sorry for the indiscretion. 

Tamba Hali has high moral character, and there is not much of that around today. We need him for more reasons than just his physical attributes. He is a winner. Winners breed winners. Guys like that have intangible assets that are worth more than what is statistically provable. He makes the team better. He may have been the influence Houston needed. I am sure he was when Houston first came into the league. 

I recall when Tamba Hali failed a drug test. It was probably for performance, but whatever. Most guys would deny it, fight it, and say they were wronged. Hali apologized. He went back to his college and sought out his coaches. He personally went around telling people he was sorry for the indiscretion. 

He was suspended for week.  Still...no big deal and he still went out of his way to apologize

I really think Hali is legit with his statement.  He loves KC, he came from a very rough childhood and is rich beyond what he could have ever imagined all those years growing up.  He's gotten to take care of his family, which he would have never gotten to do in Liberia.  He has spent a third of his life (and virtually all of his adult life) living in KC where he has been accepted and loved more than just about any player in the NFL, especially considering he isn't one of the legends of the game.  He is very involved with his local charity work and it will be a crime if he doesn't win the Walter Payton man of the year award this year.  The man flew to AFRICA in the middle of a nationwide EBOLA outbreak to bring awareness, give money, and speak in front of the government to urge more funding.  That's above and beyond what the average winner does. 

I can see Hali spending the rest of his life in KC, and being a great ambassador for the team for decades.  He may not have the stats he has in the past, but how much has Houston gotten to accomplish because of either Hali's knowledge or the simple fact that Hali is pushing QBs right into Houston.  I know we have Dee Ford, but i'm sure Bob Sutton is smart enough to be able to use all three of them in a way that is valuable. 

I really hope he stays and spends his entire career in KC.  Honestly, I can see Hali retiring if he's cut to avoid uprooting his family.  I just feel like the guy is very thankful for what he has and is completely honest in this interview...

Great thread....

Tamba has to stay and Dorsey needs to "find a way"....

This type of player attitude is both refreshing and re-assuring....Championship teams are made up of people that put the team first....Hali has done this and he is a great teammate.

Let's hope D Bowe and A Smith feel this way as well......

w

Archived