Chiefs Free Agents: Ranking Re-Sign Priorities for Kansas City

I thought the list was excellent.

Justin Houston is the priority re-signing, and although he will receive the Franchise Tag, I think he will have to be re-signed if he is to play a down for the Chiefs in 2015.

I might have ranked Jason Avant above both Rodney Hudson and Thomas Gafford, but that would be primarily because there will be almost no continuity in the receiver corps between 2014 and 2015. Avant was the fourth-leading receiver in receptions and yards even though he was a Chief for only the last five weeks of the season.

Rodney Hudson would leave a vacuum if not re-signed, but I consider him both the least likely of the six listed to be re-signed, and that the decision will be predicated on his asking price vs. his replacement's value.

Does anyone remember how the Oakland Raiders' first season under Dennis Allen never got off the ground because their long snapper Jon Condo got concussed and the replacement long snapper did a terrible job? Thomas Gafford was a player I never paid any attention to, which means he did his job well.

Josh Mauga could get a decent contract offer from another team, and probably will not be valued as highly by the Chiefs because of their depth at the position. He certainly was no Chris Borland (the 49ers inside linebacker that filled in at ILB in the absence of All-Pro linebackers Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman).

Ron Parker needs to be re-signed for at least a year just because of his versatility, but not for more than a year because of his inconsistency. I'm OK with giving him very good guarantees to make that prove-it year contract attractive. I don't know that he's the sort of player that fits into the Chiefs' long-term plans.

I think it would be a mistake to franchise Houston, he has already shown why he should be paid. Franchising him vice coming to an agreement on a contract could cost the chiefs more if he repeats his stats again and could also lead to problems between agent and team if client does not get what he wants.

PAY THE MAN!!!!!

If Houston gets franchised, 2015 will be his last year with the Chiefs.  We would not be able to pay him what he could get on the open market.  Whatever it takes, this man has to remain a Chief for years, if we are to have any real shot at a championship. So, he must get a brand new contract.  Period.  The front office knows this.  Any other scenario that takes place would end my interest in the team, as it would show that we are not serious about contending.  As long as Dorsey and Reid are at the helm, I believe that all other free agents and contracts will be maneuvered or restructured to make this happen.

We need to scramble a bit.  Can't keep both Hali and Hudson if we expect to sign Houston.  Can't take a chance of losing Houston.  Plus the franchise tag year will cost way too much for Houston than it would cost with a new contract that pays more of it later on. They will get it done one way or another. Bowe needs to take less, if he wants to play on a contender. Some re-negotiating will be happening.  At least that is how I understand it.  I could be wrong.

Bil didn't think that..thought the chiefs had dough next year..

so the payout on the franchise tag would leave the chiefs in a bind in 2016?..

or you think he'd be pissed and leave anyway..

If you franchise a player then you have to pay them a one year salary avg of the top three at the players position (or is it top 5?)

so if we do that then Houston has another steller year in 2015, then we have one more year to franchise or get a contract (probably larger) done. I hope the chiefs FO is smart enough to know what is the right path to take irt justin. He has done what the team asked him to do everytime and now it is time for the chiefs to pay him

Bil didn't think that..thought the chiefs had dough next year..

so the payout on the franchise tag would leave the chiefs in a bind in 2016?..

or you think he'd be pissed and leave anyway..

We have the dough for 2015, but if we pay Houston the franchise amount for 2015, which is 13.5 million, it would leave us in a bind for 2016 AND probably cause him to leave after one year.  A big contract with guarantees for later in the contract would allow us to actually pay out to him several million dollars less in 2015, which would allow us cap room to help sign Hudson and some other key players.  That is the way I understand it.  We would also have to let Hali walk and accelerate the development of Ford.  That is what I read in several articles in the KC Star.  Since then, Hali has stated he would take a lot less money to stay with the Cniefs.  He wants to retire a Chief and stay in KC that badly.  So, there is the possiblity of also restructuring him at a lower salary. The same is apparently true of Bowe, who should be paid like a #2 WR anyway.  We need to leverage this loyalty and the players' love for Reid and the staff and get some key people signed to long term contracts with savings in the first year, in order to get over the cap hump.  Though I am not an expert by any means, I have tried to understand and follow the articles by Mellinger and other in the KC Star.

As a side note, little is more disruptive and damaging than having your kicking team lose its long snapper.  It is a very specialized skill that is stlll cheap, because they don't play that many snaps, but it is crucial in the kicking game.  There aren't many who can do it with the consistency of Gafford.  We just signed a FA long snapper, just in case, but my hope is that we can sign Gafford and release this other guy. It should only cost us about 1.5 million per year or slightly less.

Actually, there was some good analysis last week showing that it would be more cost effcient to sign Houston vs tagging him.

Also, Tamba has indicated in the press that he wants to stay a Chief and $$ is not the issue for him.

This gives Dorsey some flexibility....

Right now Dorsey should be doing all the "internal house keeping" to prepare for the Free Agent Season....Meeting agents and getting the "general layout" of his off season strategy....Will Bowe restructure?  What does Houston want?  Will Alex Smith restructure?  What does Hudson want?  Which free agents should be the top priorities?

I think KC is going to have an outstanding off season this year.....Dorsey seems to be a solid GM

w

Actually, there was some good analysis last week showing that it would be more cost effcient to sign Houston vs tagging him.

Also, Tamba has indicated in the press that he wants to stay a Chief and $$ is not the issue for him.

This gives Dorsey some flexibility....

Right now Dorsey should be doing all the "internal house keeping" to prepare for the Free Agent Season....Meeting agents and getting the "general layout" of his off season strategy....Will Bowe restructure? What does Houston want? Will Alex Smith restructure? What does Hudson want? Which free agents should be the top priorities?

I think KC is going to have an outstanding off season this year.....Dorsey seems to be a solid GM

w

Exactly. I'm optimistic.

Archived