PFF: Chiefs Offense Ranked 23

PFF ranked all teams' offense at QB, RB, WR/TE and OL from 1-32.  The Chiefs rankings were as follows

QB:  23

RB: 1

WR/TE: 31

OL:  31

Overall:  23

The good news for the Chiefs is that they have one of the best running backs in the NFL in Jamaal Charles, who racked up 1,973 yards from scrimmage and forced 63 missed tackles as a runner and a receiver in 2013.

The bad news is that they lost the two best players from their offensive line in Branden Albert and Geoff Schwartz, and are led by a quarterback in Alex Smith who completed just 47.5 percent of his passes when under pressure. With no definitive answers to the questions on the offensive line thus far, expect to see Smith under pressure plenty in 2014.

Conversely the defense graded as follows:

DB:  11

LB:  9

Pass Rush:  1

DL:  3

Overall:  2

There are 23 defensive players we consider elite. The only team with more than two is the Chiefs: Dontari Poe at nose tackle, Justin Houston at left outside linebacker and Eric Berry at strong safety. Their strongest unit is their edge rushers; there, Houston pairs with Tamba Hali. Rookie Dee Ford was just added to the mix as well. Hali led all 3-4 outside linebackers in pressures last year, with 77, while Houston's 59 pressures were seventh best, even though he missed the last five games of the regular season.

Kansas City's weakest link is the secondary. Aside from Berry, the Chiefs have mostly average defensive backs.

A common misconception here is that the offense got better at the end of the season.  It did, to a degree, but really just fattened on bad teams and meh defenses.  

The secondary is not as big a problem as the poor WR  and OL.

Alex Smith will always be a controversial player amongst critics.  Especially those interpreting stats alone.  He will never amass huge passing numbers.  His stats comparatively were on the poor side last year, due to many factors -- including him.  

He's a limited passing talent.  He's overly conservative.  He has a pretty damned good alternative in #25, for now.  But he doesn't have the quality of OL or WR/TE he needs to reach the level of success he achieved in SF.  Hopefully DAT and Kelce improve his toy selection this season.

His team won 11 games last year.  While he wasn't the reason, it was not in spite of him either.  That's why he is better than #23.

My guess is that those rankings will look pretty silly at the end of the season - offense ranked way too low (especially QB) and defense ranked way too high (especially DB).

Agreed about the DB.  Eric Berry cannot "save" this group.

My biggest worry is the OL.., They were crap last year and they seem, on paper anyway to have gotten worse.., Nobody, even Charles succeeds if the line collapses.., Hopefully I'm wrong..,

Big body

Great hands

Third down type is what I'm hoping for

We've really lacked at 3rd down possession wr

If JH were great at anything he wouldn't be bottom feeding on the league's worst WR corp.  Surely he have been WR3 by now, at least.  The dude is not an NFL starter.  He is what he is -- a backup on a bad WR corp who probably wouldn't make most NFL rosters.  This not Roy Hobbs or Rocky Balboa.  

Close your eyes, tune everything out, take a deep breath and repeat "The Chiefs WR suck.  The Chiefs WR suck.  But its okay."    

I read somewhere it hasn't made a difference. This might be DBo's last year in KC. He's not worth his salary if he isn't catching 75+ balls.

There were 28 WRs with 75+ catches last year. Only 1 had a RB of the caliber of Jamal. In other words KC is not a passing team thus Bowe or none of their WRs should be expected to have over 75 catches. If your throwing the ball that much to your WRs your taking the ball away from your best offensive weapon.

Very few teams have both, a good to great running game and a good passing game or vice versa, a good to great passing game and a good running game.

These rankings are just plain silly.  There is zero consideration of how much better the entire offense will function with a year  under their belt under Reid's system.  There is no consideration of the depth they have built, especially at RB and possibly even WR.  There is no consideration of the speed they have added, and speed kills. Smith will finally be able to stretch the field this year, and when he does, JC will run wild.  There is no consideration that Reid's system is TE oriented, and he had so little there to work with last year. But their TE group looks to break out as in the top 5-10, probably closer to 5.  The O line is questionable due to youth, but has a lot of depth, and none of these people rating it can see what is happening with the development of their young guys, especially Fulton.  They have much more depth and versatility on the line.  All of them can play nearly every spot credibly.  Sherman is MUCH improved at FB and will be a strong blocker this year and will be a great short yardage guy.  All these idiots look at is last years players for each team, and who was lost. 

I am willing to be called out as the fool on this, but I think that the O is going to surprise the league this year in a big way.  We also have much more youth and depth all over and one of the top coaching staffs in the league.  Bienemy is working miracles with the RB corp.  We will be able to game plan a run-dominant or pass-dominant game depending on who we play.  On ST, we have many playmakers, and D'Anthony Thomas is going to win at least one game for us this year all by himself, which otherwise would have been a loss.

Mongo, you are the foil for all this optimism.  I feel like you see yourself as the DP (designated pessimist), almost to the point where you will be disappointed to be proven wrong.  You have so many I-told-you-so's invested in this teams's failure this year, that it almost feels like you are rooting for the Chiefs to to suck, just so you will look wise.  All I can say is that you better be practicing up on your mea culpa's.  If you turn out to be right, it will be because of primarily one thing, the utter failure of Eric Fisher.  I am seriously worried about LT and the possilbitiy that this first pick in the draft could end up the bust of the decade.  Hopefully, that will not be the case, but there are troubling signs.

These rankings are just plain silly. There is zero consideration of how much better the entire offense will function with a year under their belt under Reid's system. There is no consideration of the depth they have built, especially at RB and possibly even WR. There is no consideration of the speed they have added, and speed kills. Smith will finally be able to stretch the field this year, and when he does, JC will run wild. There is no consideration that Reid's system is TE oriented, and he had so little there to work with last year. But their TE group looks to break out as in the top 5-10, probably closer to 5. The O line is questionable due to youth, but has a lot of depth, and none of these people rating it can see what is happening with the development of their young guys, especially Fulton. They have much more depth and versatility on the line. All of them can play nearly every spot credibly. Sherman is MUCH improved at FB and will be a strong blocker this year and will be a great short yardage guy. All these idiots look at is last years players for each team, and who was lost.

I am willing to be called out as the fool on this, but I think that the O is going to surprise the league this year in a big way. We also have much more youth and depth all over and one of the top coaching staffs in the league. Bienemy is working miracles with the RB corp. We will be able to game plan a run-dominant or pass-dominant game depending on who we play. On ST, we have many playmakers, and D'Anthony Thomas is going to win at least one game for us this year all by himself, which otherwise would have been a loss.

Probably only one who would call you a fool.

I like your thinking and agree especially with the WR core.

OL will struggle and DB. If we can have a ferocious pass rush our secondary will be ok.

These rankings are just plain silly.  There is zero consideration of how much better the entire offense will function with a year  under their belt under Reid's system.  There is no consideration of the depth they have built, especially at RB and possibly even WR.  There is no consideration of the speed they have added, and speed kills. Smith will finally be able to stretch the field this year, and when he does, JC will run wild.  There is no consideration that Reid's system is TE oriented, and he had so little there to work with last year. But their TE group looks to break out as in the top 5-10, probably closer to 5.  The O line is questionable due to youth, but has a lot of depth, and none of these people rating it can see what is happening with the development of their young guys, especially Fulton.  They have much more depth and versatility on the line.  All of them can play nearly every spot credibly.  Sherman is MUCH improved at FB and will be a strong blocker this year and will be a great short yardage guy.  All these idiots look at is last years players for each team, and who was lost. 

I am willing to be called out as the fool on this, but I think that the O is going to surprise the league this year in a big way.  We also have much more youth and depth all over and one of the top coaching staffs in the league.  Bienemy is working miracles with the RB corp.  We will be able to game plan a run-dominant or pass-dominant game depending on who we play.  On ST, we have many playmakers, and D'Anthony Thomas is going to win at least one game for us this year all by himself, which otherwise would have been a loss.

Mongo, you are the foil for all this optimism.  I feel like you see yourself as the DP (designated pessimist), almost to the point where you will be disappointed to be proven wrong.  You have so many I-told-you-so's invested in this teams's failure this year, that it almost feels like you are rooting for the Chiefs to to suck, just so you will look wise.  All I can say is that you better be practicing up on your mea culpa's.  If you turn out to be right, it will be because of primarily one thing, the utter failure of Eric Fisher.  I am seriously worried about LT and the possilbitiy that this first pick in the draft could end up the bust of the decade.  Hopefully, that will not be the case, but there are troubling signs.

Is that so?  Last year, I predicted 6 wins and loved every minute of being wrong.  Point to one post where I said the team will suck this year.  You can't because it hasn't happened.  I've predicted a step back this year.  Seven wins is a step back and doesn't constitute sucking.

It is Homers like you who are the foils.  You don't want to hear the truth.  You want to live in your fantasy of fictitious, fantastic, youthful depth.  You call this delusion "optimism" and walk around patting yourself on the back for it.  Then you rip on me, because I won't sample your Kool-Aid.  You label me when I cited a credible source which echos everything I've posted.

Only one of our WR would start on another team.  We have no B-grade or better player on the OL  The secondary starters are below average except for Berry.  We have a decent backup RB and a rookie ROLB with promise.  At what position does this wealth of riches exist?  Kicker?  Have you ever compared the Chiefs roster to another teams?  I have.  

Speed kills when the speed belongs to guys who can play.  See the Raiders modern history.  Alex Smith will not stretch the field regularly because he doesn't have the arm strength to hit the deep pass with the velocity it needs to get the ball in tight spaces.  So he needs a WR that makes a play (Avery vs TEN) or is wide open (Avery vs IND) and that doesn't happen that frequently.  Alex Smith is an intermediate range, between the hashes passer.  The world knows this, but Chief homers don't want to accept it. It belies their "optimism." 

So instead of insulting me, why don't you find one source external to this board to support your notions to the contrary.  Anything I've claimed is supported by facts and/or credible sources.  Yours are based on nothing but hope and faith.  

Hope and faith don't win football games.  Football players win football games.  The Chiefs don't have enough of them yet.

The "optimistic" fans on this board are like a guy who supports his friend who decides to quit his steady job to pursue his dream of becoming a singer.  This when he cannot sing.  

I'm the friend who tells him, "You cannot sing.  Quit acting like an idiot and go back to work."  The truth hurts.

The "optimistic" fans on this board are like a guy who supports his friend who decides to quit his steady job to pursue his dream of becoming a singer. This when he cannot sing.

I'm the friend who tells him, "You cannot sing. Quit acting like an idiot and go back to work." The truth hurts.

I was thinking you're more like the friend who yells jump at the guy on a 30 storey leadge.????

I was thinking you're more like the friend who yells jump at the guy on a 30 storey leadge.

Nope.  That's usually the stance of the "optimists" when the team fails to achieve their lofty expectations.  They are the ones who start calling for the heads of the GM and coaching staff.  They are the ones wanting the owner to sell the team.  Not me.

Archived