Crow's January Mock Draft

Hope you guys enjoy it. Not much time to put in extra work, but I've did some more tape watching this weekend and here's what I got...

1. OT Ereck Flowers - Miami (6'5" 325)
Solid pass protector and devestating run blocker that is tough as nails, with the size and mobility to play either end of the offensive line. Looks like he'll be most comfortable at right tackle where he can use his nasty demeanor to his advantage. Also has the foot quickness to at least challenge for the left tackle job, although he appears to need more seasoning against speed rushers for the NFL.

Verdict: Starter at RT

2. OG Josue Matias - Florida State (6'6" 325)
The long, athletic type of guard that Andy Reid loves (see Evan Mathis). Matias is outstanding in pass protection and is very good moving in space, getting to the second level. There is no single better guard prospect in this draft to fit what Andy Reid likes to do. He has first round type of talent talent. Left guard was the single worst position on the football field for the Chiefs in 2014, and its time to fix it for the long haul.

Verdict: Starter at LG

3. WR Josh Harper - Fresno State (6'1" 190)
A quick-twitch receiver that is good at gaining immediate separation. Runs crisp underneath routes well, which are a staple of Andy Reid's West Coast hybrid offense. Harper has enough speed to get deep, but should be at his best running quick routes in the 7-10 yard range where defensive backs have a hard time sticking with him. Has shown to have solid hands and can make plays in traffic.

Verdict: Starter at WR2

3. CB Ladarius Gunter - Miami (6'1" 200)
A tall corner that mirrors exceptionally well for his size. Good at turning his head and tracking the ball as well as making plays on the football. Fluid transitioning, even against smaller receivers. Can play press or off coverage. A solid tackler that will come downhill with aggression.

Verdict: Reserve CB, may cover outside with Gaines sliding to slot on 3rd down.

4. FS Chris Hackett - Texas Christian (6'2" 195)
A very solid all-around safety that can make plays on the ball in single-high or come down in the box and stuff the run - extremely versatile. Looks like his best bet in the NFL could be playing center field where he can free range and make plays on the football. Has the ability to drop down on slot receivers and mirror, which makes him a nice fit in Bob Sutton's scheme.

Verdict: Will compete with Ron Parker (assuming he's re-signed) for starting FS, else reserve FS.

5. ILB Taiwan Jones - Michigan State (6'3" 258)
The Chiefs desperately lacked a legitimate interior run defender at the second level in 2014, and Jones is one of the better ones in this draft. Jones is okay in coverage but could use some work there. He can't fill the MIKE position that Derrick Johnson occupied, but he can be that tough, interior, two-down thumper at the WILL that KC sorely lacked in 2014.

Verdict: Will compete for WILL starting spot, else reserve ILB.

5. OG Mark Glowinski - West Virgnia (6'5" 315)
A very underrated prospect, Glowinski is a tough and scrappy interior lineman. While he needs some work on technique, the physical tools are there (former tackle) for him to become a starter. The Chiefs need to infuse competition at RG as rookie 6th-rounder Zach Fulton was not fully up to the task in 2014. Glowinski has shown the ability to be solid in both pass protection and in generating movement in the run game.

Verdict: Will compete with Fulton for starting RG spot, else reserve OG.

5. WR Kenny Bell - Nebraska (6'1" 185)
A lanky yet speedy receiver in the mould of Nate Washington and Harry Douglas, Bell can threaten defenses deep, but also has enough skill to develop into a guy that can make intermediate plays. Bell blocks well and can make and impact as a #2-type of receiver.

Verdict: Likely WR4 and ST

6. CB Cam Thomas - Western Kentucky (6'0" 195)
A long corner with good closing burst who tracks the ball well in the air. Thomas has good footwork and is fluid in transition. Has a bit of trouble in sticking with receivers in off-man and may just need better coaching there. Has shown the ability to stick when playing tight/press and press-bail coverage. Also a decent tackler.

Verdict: Reserve CB and ST

7. OLB Brock Hekking - Nevada (6'4" 255)
A solid edge defender and team leader who happened to have a slightly down year, but gives you 100% every play. Is very active and has a non-stop motor in the mould of Tamba Hali. Has shown the ability to bend the edge and also sets well against the run. Needs to improve his strength at the point of attack, but has the length and speed to be a spot edge defender in the NFL.

Verdict: Reserve EDGE defender

7. WR Chase Cochran - Ohio (6'2" 190)
Another lanky speedster, but has the ability to be dangerous underneath. Very underrated, perhaps due to level of competition. Has shown the ability to be quick and effective underneath catching bubble screens and slants, but has also had a healthy dose of deep plays. Very well-rounded router runner that can make the difficult catches in traffic and at the goaline.

Verdict: Will compete for WR3,4,5 and ST

Not bad as long as the Chiefs replace Bowe with a legitimate #1 WR in FA.  I might consider Caan or Jackson at OG in the second round and maybe grab an ILB a little earlier like Wilson from Georgia.

I didn't post the likely free agent signings to go with this cuz it gets a bit lengthy, but I'm assuming KC is going hard after Maclin.

Parker primarily played FS and Abdullah SS... either way it doesn't matter much.

I always saw Abdullah high. Parker in berrys role. Abdullah was the key to not getting beat deep all year.

Doesn't matter much when you are watching other teams play.

KCCrow - If you have time, could you rank the quarterbacks in this draft and place where you think they should go? You can choose how detailed that is, whether that's a early/mid/late round or just the round in general. Also, if you have time, you could note whether they will, in your guess, be reached for or drop. (Where they will go pick/round wise versus where they should go.)

Thanks, if you can.

I didn't post the likely free agent signings to go with this cuz it gets a bit lengthy, but I'm assuming KC is going hard after Maclin.

Understand.  When playing with the mocks, I just assume that Bowe and Hali are gone, Houston and Hudson are staying, and the Chiefs pick up a name WR.  I'm usually wrong.

Do you think the Chiefs will draft an OT in the first and move Fisher back to RT or will they draft a RT with a little less priority and use the first for a WR?  If OG is their top need, then couldn't they go WR, OG, OT, ILB in the first three rounds assuming value is there when they pick?  Maybe Parker or White in the first and if both are gone, then grab an OT in the first, OG in the second, and WR/ILB with the third round picks.  It sure would be interesting to know how the Chiefs view Fisher and Stephenson for the future.

KCCrow - If you have time, could you rank the quarterbacks in this draft and place where you think they should go? You can choose how detailed that is, whether that's a early/mid/late round or just the round in general. Also, if you have time, you could note whether they will, in your guess, be reached for or drop. (Where they will go pick/round wise versus where they should go.)

Thanks, if you can.

All QBs get overdrafted lol. But here's my list:

1. Jameis Winston - Florida State - Round 1 (top 10)

From a pure talent standpoint, is a better player than Mariota. Winston's off-field antics may cost him on draft day though, but I still have him going in the top 10 spots and likely remains in the top 6.

2. Marcus Mariota - Oregon - Round 1 (top 10)

A good QB that will likely see his name called in the top 2 spots, but I have him in the top 10 overall.

3. Bryce Petty - Baylor - Round 2 (top 60)

4. Garrett Grayson - Colorado State - Round 2-3 (top 75)

5. Sean Mannion - Oregon State - Round 3-4 (top 125)

6. Shane Carden - East Carolina - Round 4-5 (top 150)

7. Brett Hundley - UCLA - Round 5-6 (top 180)

Some team might think they can fix him and make him realize his potential, huge shot to be way overdrafted.

8. Brandon Bridge - South Alabama - Round 6-7

9. Bryan Bennett - Southeast Louisiana (Oregon transfer) - Round 7

10. Bo Wallace - Mississippi - Round 7

Another guy  a team might think they can fix

Man, Bo Wallace looked bad in that bowl game. Real bad.

Turnover prone, makes bonehead decisions. Has the tools, but I don't think he has it mentally. I have him in the top 10 based only on the tools being there and the lack of any other quality prospects to unseat him.

All I know is this draft is loaded with the kind of players the Chiefs need. There are decent ILB, WR, S, OT, and G in this draft. I don't see standouts as much as I see depth. 

The number one priority of this team has to be to fix that OL. After that, it is to add a WR. 

Archived