Justin Houston

Buckle up folks, this is going to be a long and bumpy ride.

Anyone else notice that he didn't play 1 snap in the Pro-Bowl last night. Definitely a smart move on his part. 

All that matters is we need to get this guy signed. I don't want to give him the Franchise Tag, I want a 6 or 7 years deal.

Get it done Dorse!!

Buckle up folks, this is going to be a long and bumpy ride.

Anyone else notice that he didn't play 1 snap in the Pro-Bowl last night. Definitely a smart move on his part. 

All that matters is we need to get this guy signed. I don't want to give him the Franchise Tag, I want a 6 or 7 years deal.

Get it done Dorse!!

Everyone will disagree with me because they don't want to push guarantees to later in the contract, but I hope Alex restructures the maximum to get Houston here. I also would like Bowe to restructure and if his future years came at a reasonable amount, I wouldn't mind an extension for him as a #2 or #3. Don't see the extension happening, but maybe, hopefully, but not likely, the restructure. I don't think Smith's agent will allow a restructure one year in for his clients unless it's KC's discretion (choice). And when I say "allow" I mean it loosely, he can't force Smith not to take it. All he could do is advise against, drag his feet to come sign, or fire Smith as his client, I suppose.

Why is a restructure needed if cap room isn't needed? The Chiefs need to fit as much of Justin Houston's or Alex Smith's contract as they can this year to get their salary cap just below the limit. Unless you're seeing something I'm not, the Chiefs aren't going to need to make room for Houston.

Hali's saying all of the right things, and Bowe's departure would leave a tremendous vacuum at wideout, but in the end, I think both of these will be gone, and no one will be worrying about cap space.

By the way, Dontari Poe is eligible to receive a new contract this year. This is a contract that the Chiefs should be giving special attention to, as his numbers are only going to go up from the time the new league year begins.

not sure what you mean when you say Poe is eligible to get a new contract...if he is not a FA then the chiefs are going to take care of more pressing issues like Houston, Hudson etc. Poe's time will come

Poe is eligible in that ever since the new CBA kicked in, rookie contracts could not be re-negotiated within the first three years of the deal. As a first-round selection, the Chiefs retain control of a fifth-year option in regard to Poe, so they do have a little time to get a deal done. With that said, Justin Houston's price has only escalated since 2013, and the clock is ticking on the Chiefs having exclusive negotiating rights with him. It would be nice to see Dontari Poe get a new long-term contract while the Chiefs can afford it so as to keep Poe's cap number down in later years, and getting a mutually beneficial contract becomes increasingly difficult as free agency begins to loom for any player. There's no reason getting this done would somehow prevent a deal getting done with Houston, unless Poe would demand such a high price that he would be asking for money I would not wish for him to be given.

Poe is eligible in that ever since the new CBA kicked in, rookie contracts could not be re-negotiated within the first three years of the deal. As a first-round selection, the Chiefs retain control of a fifth-year option in regard to Poe, so they do have a little time to get a deal done. With that said, Justin Houston's price has only escalated since 2013, and the clock is ticking on the Chiefs having exclusive negotiating rights with him. It would be nice to see Dontari Poe get a new long-term contract while the Chiefs can afford it so as to keep Poe's cap number down in later years, and getting a mutually beneficial contract becomes increasingly difficult as free agency begins to loom for any player. There's no reason getting this done would somehow prevent a deal getting done with Houston, unless Poe would demand such a high price that he would be asking for money I would not wish for him to be given.

thanks for the info, i am not very up on the CBA talk etc but it is good to learn some things

thanks for the info, i am not very up on the CBA talk etc but it is good to learn some things

The Seahawks would have wanted to extend Russell Wilson some time ago: He's helped them win one Super Bowl and helped them to a second in back-to-back years. Drafted in the same year as Dontari Poe, Russell Wilson won't be eligible to sign a new contract until the 2015 league year begins. Millions are riding on whether or not Wilson's Seahawks win a second consecutive Super Bowl.

Archived