Justin Houston thinks the Chiefs can win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith

I watched a "really good QB" in Eli ( 2 SB Wins) play like dog shit this year as he took the beating of a lifetime.

I also remember a Chiefs Defense in the 90's that turned "really good QB's" into little boys.

w

Was Eli Manning really that great in the Super Bowl wins? His clutch throws were about defenders missing tackles and him throwing up jump balls against defenses that weren't doing their job.

Eli Manning didn't suddenly get worse. He's always been The Lesser Manning, and by a long shot. He dodged the Chargers on draft day, and ended up playing on a team with a defense that carried him through all of the rough spots. The Patriots scored less in two Super Bowls against the Giants than the 49ers' defense allowed the Saints in a single playoff game. Eli Manning's ups-and-downs get brief mention in the sports media, but the faults in his play get glossed over by virtue of being the quarterback of a Super Bowl-winning team.

According to Wikipedia's "List of Super Bowl champions", in 48 Super Bowls, the winning teams outscored the losing teams by a total of 1455-757. Only two quarterbacks in the NFL have won two Super Bowls in which their offenses didn't score more than 21 points: Terry Bradshaw and Eli Manning. CARRied. Yes, with a capital C-A-R-R.

Most. Overrated. Quarterback.

Ever.

(Bradshaw may or may not be on that list's second spot. I wasn't born yet when he "won" those two Super Bowls, so I will reserve judgment for after I watch the tape. Which will probably be never.)

I am using the "definition of greatness" a few here like to use.  Super Bowl Rings.

IMO, Greatness includes Super Bowl Rings as a factor.  I would argue Jim Kelly was a great QB as an example.

w

Jim Kelly has zero Super Bowl rings. He did contribute to his team earning four Super Bowl berths, but each time the NFC team won. As I understand, Jim Kelly was pretty good. On the other hand, why does a quarterback whose supporting cast choked one game before the big dance not get the pass that the quarterback from the Super Bowl-losing team gets because his teammates had one more game left in the tank before sputtering out?

This is why Super Bowl victories have never been the be-all and end-all for me in determining whether a quarterback is worth his roster spot. No quarterback is or ever has been good enough to win the game that his team didn't play well enough to win.

I would settle for a 6 yard pass on a 3rd and 5 to start.

I would like to see a WR run a 6 yard route on 3rd and 5 versus running their 4 yard routes on 3rd and 5. OR better yet catching the ball when the team needs to move the chains in clutch situations. Oh but of course the line would have to hold up long enough for them to get open.

There is plenty of blame to go around and Smith is the least of the teams worries or concerns.

• 3 years later...
On 1/29/2015 at 9:12 PM, azchief21 said:

If you watch the really good QBs, you can barely tell if they have a great o-line or not. They are decisive, confident and get rid of the ball quickly. Their receiver doesn't have to be wide open, in fact some appear to be covered. Now other QBs have to have a guy open before throwing. If not, a quick, useless checkdown or a sack. In the NFL,  a QB cannot fear the pick , try not to lose. NOTE: I didn't name any names. :)

Years ago....

1 hour ago, West said:

At This point, Is there a QB in any league - anywhere- you would trade Patrick Mahomes for?

Me neither.

w

No.  Mahomes has the physical talent along with the attitude and smarts to top any other QB plus he's far from peaking.  For this season only, one could make the argument for Breese or Brady but no way would we trade for them considering the future.  I also like Goff and Wentz but for the Chiefs, Mahomes is the perfect fit.

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

No.  Mahomes has the physical talent along with the attitude and smarts to top any other QB plus he's far from peaking.  For this season only, one could make the argument for Breese or Brady but no way would we trade for them considering the future.  I also like Goff and Wentz but for the Chiefs, Mahomes is the perfect fit.

Somewhere on a distant Redskin board, Phatal is in the fetal.

1 hour ago, azchief21 said:

Somewhere on a distant Redskin board, Phatal is in the fetal.

Fetal?  Oh hell no, he's on the attack.

It's the Oline's fault, receivers, Tight Ends, Defense (THEY GAVE UP SO MANY POINTS), coaches, GM, Daniel Snyder, the fans, state of Maryland, Global Warming, the sun, etc.

On 2/1/2015 at 12:37 PM, West said:

I aws not clear in my post.  Super Bowl Victories are not a requirment for greatness.

For the record, I wish the Chiefs had gotten Jim Kelly in that 1983 draft vs Blackledge

w

Or Marino. A guy who never won a SB. Or even went to one except his rookie year. 

8 hours ago, robgar said:

its o.k. we have a mix of marino, and montana, with bradys brains..

With characteristics of Rodgers, the confidence of Favre, class of Smith, and hopefully a career as long as Manning and Favre. Mobility like Young, body like Newton, luck like Manning, family like Brees, paid more than Bradford but earned it, wins more than Stafford, more sustainable than Flacco’s year, more Kermit than Kermit, young like Goff and Wentz, more Football than Johnny, better cook than Baker, more success than Luck, better team than Bortles if you include offense...

Archived