Justin Houston thinks the Chiefs can win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith

What's he supposed to say?

"I defer to the judgment of my esteemed colleague azchief21 from the Chiefs Coalition forum: If Smith was a quarterback that could help his team win a Super Bowl, he would at least a few times a game evade quick A-gap pressure and get the ball out of his hands 40 yards down field to himself on the same play that he successfully cut-blocked a blitzing outside linebacker and torched his cover man. I also would have liked to have seen a little more toughness on his late-play stiff-arm attempts."[/lighthearteddig]

Football players say the wrong things in the media quite often. The funny thing however is that when they say the right things, the politics of public relations dictate that they can't be taken for their word, even if what they say is absolutely genuine. Therefore, when Houston commended Smith for elite-level play, it has to be taken by some as a scathing indictment of Smith's inadequacy at the quarterback position as well as a tacit endorsement of a quarterback yet to be named.

Or maybe Justin Houston meant what he said, and perhaps he is one of the most qualified players to opine on this because he spent a lot of defensive series trying to clean up a mess left by the offense, and he knew darn well with whom the blame for those situations lied, and for the most part he felt it wasn't Smith.

"I defer to the judgment of my esteemed colleague azchief21 from the Chiefs Coalition forum: If Smith was a quarterback that could help his team win a Super Bowl, he would at least a few times a game evade quick A-gap pressure and get the ball out of his hands 40 yards down field to himself on the same play that he successfully cut-blocked a blitzing outside linebacker and torched his cover man. I also would have liked to have seen a little more toughness on his late-play stiff-arm attempts."[/lighthearteddig]

Football players say the wrong things in the media quite often. The funny thing however is that when they say the right things, the politics of public relations dictate that they can't be taken for their word, even if what they say is absolutely genuine. Therefore, when Houston commended Smith for elite-level play, it has to be taken by some as a scathing indictment of Smith's inadequacy at the quarterback position as well as a tacit endorsement of a quarterback yet to be named.

Or maybe Justin Houston meant what he said, and perhaps he is one of the most qualified players to opine on this because he spent a lot of defensive series trying to clean up a mess left by the offense, and he knew darn well with whom the blame for those situations lied, and for the most part he felt it wasn't Smith.

Wow! I'm esteemed!! It would definitely be nice if Smith could do the above mentioned but I would settle for a 6 yard pass on a 3rd and 5 to start. Do you really think Houston would say that he didn't think Smith could win a Super Bowl? I've never even heard a teammate say that about JeMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf while they were teammates. 

Do you really think Houston would say that he didn't think Smith could win a Super Bowl? I've never even heard a teammate say that about JeMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf while they were teammates. 

But how does 'saying the right things' become 'telling bald-faced lies'? It just seems to me that if someone says something positive concerning a controversial subject, those of a differing opinion charge the one opining with lying for the sake of selfish gain.

There will only be one Super Bowl-winning quarterback this year. That doesn't invalidate the supportive statements made by hundreds of NFL players playing for other teams concerning their quarterbacks. Smith is more like Tom Brady than Blake Bortles, and better than Russell Wilson outright. You can bet that all of the Seahawks players believe Wilson can help them win a Super Bowl as he did just that one year ago. If an inferior quarterback can command that sort of respect, why not Smith?[/argument]

Houston is 100% correct in saying the Chiefs can win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith. We all saw him lead a 49ers team to the NFC Championship game. The problem right now is that this team is grossly devoid of talent around Smith, and he's just not good enough of a QB to overcome those voids on his own. Hell, it takes very special, once-a-generation types to even sniff doing that. Fix some problems, especially at OG and at WR, and I think you see a team that is capable of winning with Alex Smith. They have the defense and they have the running game to support him, they just need the protection and the guys that catch the damn ball.

...and that's exactly what many have been saying here for pretty much 2 years.

w

Demaryious Thomas would be the absolute best fit. He can take the screens and short throws all the way. Easily the guy we should dump the truck for.

Demaryious Thomas would be the absolute best fit. He can take the screens and short throws all the way. Easily the guy we should dump the truck for.

I have mixed feelings about just where wide receivers should slot within the whole of the salary cap. The skills that teams will pay the most for end up being somewhat redundant when the quarterback gets enough time in the pocket. It generally seems to me that when you buy $10 million worth of offensive line, you get $5 million worth of wide receiver for free. I find that the credit that goes to quarterbacks for supposedly making ordinary receivers look like elite receivers should actually be going to the offensive linemen for giving their wide receivers enough time to find the gaps in coverage so that the quarterback can find them. This is especially the case with the West Coast Offense.

With that said, some league cornerbacks are pretty good, and when your WR1 is consistently overpowered, out-savvied, or otherwise out-performed by the opposing team's CB1, it puts a lot of stress on the quarterback and on the rest of the offense. A receiver like Thomas would solve that problem, but I'm going to be realistic about this, too: Within the overall scheme that the Chiefs are playing, the Chiefs would be paying for a 1,500 yard, 10 touchdown per season performer that would more likely contribute around 1,000 yards and 8 touchdowns a season. Every other Chiefs' wide receiver would instantly become more valuable, and it would help the running game. Could the Chiefs get that sort of production out of lesser receivers if Smith gets quality protection on his offensive line? I think so, and the overall cost would be cheaper.

Thomas is a physical monster. I've never seen him get shutdown. Manning had sanders and welker and Thomas. Smith has Kelce and would have thomas. Bowe would benefit.

Thomas is a beast and would contribute much more than your prediction.

Thomas is a physical monster. I've never seen him get shutdown. Manning had sanders and welker and Thomas. Smith has Kelce and would have thomas. Bowe would benefit.

Thomas is a beast and would contribute much more than your prediction.

While Thomas and Kelce would be cool, Thomas and Bowe and Kelce isn't going to happen. That will definitely be unaffordable.

Definitely agree with Phatal here. The Chiefs had receivers running open often that Alex had absolutely no time to get the ball to because the O-line was a shit-fest. I've expressed the other problems with Alex already so I won't go there, time to bang the drum on the biggest problem of all: protection.

The closest lineman to respectable outside of Hudson was actually Ryan Harris and even he was slightly sub-par.

The problems are serious, and have to start at the interior guard positions. I'm sure everyone here wants to give Fulton another year to start, but don't count me on that train. I want to see him earn the chance to start. He needs competition because he was downright awful at times, especially in pass protection. The McGlynn experiment, well .......... I'd cuss too much if I went there. To actually think Jeff Linkenbach or Jeff Allen, terrible players in their own right, were significant upgrades to McGlynn just goes to show how absolutely pathetic the left guard position has been. All the while you have a guy playing next to that turnstile that still remains a rookie from a strength standpoint and was in his first season trying to protect the blind side.

I've been advocating a first round upgrade to right tackle and am of the firm opinion that whomever the Chiefs bring in to compete for that spot also needs to be able to compete for the left tackle position. It is obvious, after two seasons, that it is put up or shut up time for Eric Fisher.

I don't care how the Chiefs go about fixing the problems, but it is an absolute must that the offensive line improves. One good guard, such as Mike Iupati, James Carpenter, or Clint Boling, could hit free agency. It might not be a bad idea to make that investment. The Chiefs would be well served dipping into the offensive lineman pool about 3 times in the upcoming draft as well. No matter what, the Chiefs need to re-sign  Hudson, bring in an immediate starter at left guard, an immediate starter at RT (or re-sign Harris), and competition for the RG and RT spots.

Wide receiver, as bad as it seems, is truly secondary in my opinion but does need to be addressed. I'm not banging the drum for a 1st, or even 2nd, round receiver though.

heres my thing with smith and the O-line..

2013 the line finally settled after Jeff S was put in and Stephenson found his spot..

look at smiths numbers..he was playing lights out despite bad receiver play. Remember all those drops against Denver at home?...ugh..

simplistic..yep...but its the same player scheme etc...I would argue he has more weapons now than before.

However the line play is so bad he can't run the offense..

I'm done.

If you watch the really good QBs, you can barely tell if they have a great o-line or not. They are decisive, confident and get rid of the ball quickly. Their receiver doesn't have to be wide open, in fact some appear to be covered. Now other QBs have to have a guy open before throwing. If not, a quick, useless checkdown or a sack. In the NFL,  a QB cannot fear the pick , try not to lose. NOTE: I didn't name any names. :)

If you watch the really good QBs, you can barely tell if they have a great o-line or not. They are decisive, confident and get rid of the ball quickly. Their receiver doesn't have to be wide open, in fact some appear to be covered. Now other QBs have to have a guy open before throwing. If not, a quick, useless checkdown or a sack. In the NFL, a QB cannot fear the pick, try not to lose. NOTE: I didn't name any names. :)

Yeah, it's a good thing when the oline is invisible. When you can't notice them. The QB looks better. It's a bad thing to hear anything about the oline. :)

Even when the offensive line has weaknesses, often it is the place where these quarterbacks know will be coming from. When there are people coming through randomly across the line, it's hard to know what to do. You end up throwing earlier than you need to, either in the progression (checkdown) or in the throw (timing). Oline and good QB play go hand in hand. You want great? We all do, Luck wasn't on the trading block (talking about the draft pick).

Yeah, it's a good thing when the oline is invisible. When you can't notice them. The QB looks better. It's a bad thing to hear anything about the oline. :)

Even when the offensive line has weaknesses, often it is the place where these quarterbacks know will be coming from. When there are people coming through randomly across the line, it's hard to know what to do. You end up throwing earlier than you need to, either in the progression (checkdown) or in the throw (timing). Oline and good QB play go hand in hand. You want great? We all do, Luck wasn't on the trading block (talking about the draft pick).

In addition to the general unreliability across the line, there was the additional issue of having something worse than turnstiles at tackle: Spinners at guard. The constant A- and B-gap breaches killed many a play. The Chiefs' interior linemen managed to make some of the most unremarkable DT's look amazing. Even when there weren't outright breaches, there were so many instances where the guards were pushed far enough back that Smith wasn't able to throw from the designated spot, and that is almost as damaging.

If you watch the really good QBs, you can barely tell if they have a great o-line or not. They are decisive, confident and get rid of the ball quickly. Their receiver doesn't have to be wide open, in fact some appear to be covered. Now other QBs have to have a guy open before throwing. If not, a quick, useless checkdown or a sack. In the NFL,  a QB cannot fear the pick , try not to lose. NOTE: I didn't name any names. :)

This right there! i have beat this drum over and over with NFL open or  Alex Smith open, they are 2 different things!  Good QB's make plays when their wr's are covered. They are so damned accurate and they trust their accuracy.

Of course Alex can be a QB of a Superbowl Team, If Trent Dilfer can do it, anyone can, but the planets/moon and stars need to align.

This right there! i have beat this drum over and over with NFL open or Alex Smith open, they are 2 different things! Good QB's make plays when their wr's are covered. They are so damned accurate and they trust their accuracy.

Of course Alex can be a QB of a Superbowl Team, If Trent Dilfer can do it, anyone can, but the planets/moon and stars need to align.

It was just one game, and not the SB, of course, but when Smith scored twice in four minutes to beat the Saints in the playoffs, I heard people give credit to the defense, RB, and Davis for the win. Harbaugh, too. Mind you, the Saints scored 32 points, Gore ran fewer than 90 yards, and the pass Smith threw was thrown with Davis anything but open. The game winning drives, two of them, had 3-4 deep throws in 2-minute situations, the last coming with about a minute and a half.

When people scramble to credit everyone else, including labeling a 32 point scoring Saints team as sloppy in the headline, I'm not really going to give credence to how Trent Dilfer they think Smith was in a hypothetical SB win.

Heck, Kaepernick gets credit for almost winning one in which he came back with Gore runs, but a few muffed punts when his team was winning (due to two thrown TDs) is enough to shut down Smith. Almost is not winning for both Kaepernick and Smith and winning one, hypothetically would be no less than others winning. Smith will either win one or won't, and whatever happens is where he's at, not Trent Dilfer or whatnot.

No need to discredit nor credit someone before it happens. No need to write the narrative or paint the characterization of a win. He hasn't won one and if he does, he will have earned it with no discredit.

I watched a "really good QB" in Eli ( 2 SB Wins) play like dog shit this year as he took the beating of a lifetime.

I also remember a Chiefs Defense in the 90's that turned "really good QB's" into little boys.

w

I agree with the o-line being bad and I can't wait till we get all these excuses fixed so our QB can lead us to a Super Bowl victory!

Me Too....Glad to see you coming around.

Don't forget we had a GREAT QB lead us into the AFC Championship Game against the Bills in Buffalo.

He ended up looking pretty average that game before he was knocked out.

w

Archived