Justin Houston wants to break the sack record as a Chief

it would be in the teams best interests moving forward to pay him, if they try to go cheap then the message they are sending to all agents, Free agents etc is loud and clear.  KC will never attract any decent free agents (The Royals are a fine example of this)

there is a wide line behind BEING ABLE TO AFFORD and  Affording. When Baseball gets a salary cap and level's the playing field  your statement might have some viability. Regardless their p[performance last year shows that  high $$ FA's aint everything but they certainly can be the difference.

Offer him a reasonable contract (somewhere between $85 and $100 M). JJ Watt's contract should be the ceiling. 

If Houston wants to be on this team, and I think he does, then he will come to an agreement. 

The Chiefs should ask current players to restructure in order to pay for his contract. If they don't, start cutting. 

The only way a deal doesn't get done is if Houston's agent prices him above what the Chiefs are willing to pay. I think KC offers him a truckload of money but the truck might not be big enough. Very few top end players leave unless they are looking at breaking the bank and the team just can't do it. That's why contract talks happen. Side A has a $ number and Side B has a $ number. Most of the time a deal is done somewhere between those two numbers. I expect that to be the case with Houston. I won't be worried about a deal not getting done until much later than today.

Archived