An open letter to Peyton Manning.

Dear Mr. Manning,

I'm hoping you will find the time to read this post. I have tried repeatedly to contact you, but at this point Papa Johns has insisted I no longer "bother" them. I'm writing to you on behalf of fans everywhere, ( All be it, that may be just a little presumptuous.) in an effort to persuade you to return for another season, or 2... or 3.

Through the years It's been an honor and a pleasure to have witnessed the greatest QB of all time; Joe Montana, and you. Now you don't have the rings Joe has, or Eli, for that matter, or the cannon arm, of say, Phil Simms, or the fleetness of foot of Dan Marino; but, to your credit, you will always have something special. No one will ever forget you beaning that kid on SNL. Hilarious. In fact, you may be a better comedian than an athlete. None the less, you have put together a remarkable career. Five time MVP, SuperbowlMVP, 14 time Pro Bowler, The all time NFL TD leader with over 69,000 yards passing, 97.5 career passer rating, and NFL comeback player of the year.

How did you do it? I've heard it said your success can be summed up with one word; Omaha, Omaha, Omaha. No doubt you have a big head...for the game. Personally, I believe the key to your success lies elsewhere. It's in your heart. Your love of the game. When I heard you were returning the first time I said, after I said, "He's a fool.", I said, "Good, but he will never be the same". I was right. You were better. Now, in the face of more adversity, you are thinking of retiring. At this time I'd like to plead to you, please, don't do it. I know it's a long hill to climb, and it gets steeper with age, but from where you are at you can see the mountain top. While you may never reach the mountain top, let it be known, others shall pass. You hold firmly to every inch of ground in the knowing that the harder the climb, the sweeter the rewards.

You see, Peyton, I'm a fan. No, not of yours, but of the Kansas City Chiefs. I, like many fans across this great land, have had to endure years of torture from you. Yeah, those picks are illegal, and we all know it...but I regress, It's no time to step off that hill with dignity. No, you owe us the opportunity to pass you by, and if by chance you are falling, sliding on your arse, and somehow you end up at the bottom, and it's the 4th quarter, and you are on the bench after throwing 4 picks, and you here a voice, I'll be right there with you. I'll be the one in the cheap seats, yelling; "Suck it Manning!".

Looking back at this letter it has become apparent that I've used an awful lot of commas, or, as I like to call them, check downs. That's in honor of you,,,,Peyton. It's been a pleasure watching you play. You've been a great competitor, and I wish you well, no matter your decision.

P.S. The Donkeys suck. I'd probably quit too.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/1/7960095/an-open-letter-to-peyton-manning

Archived