Justin Houston/Could this Actually happen?

Guest okiechief

They said they got those two first-round picks from Philadelphia for Foles and then they gave their first-round picks to us for Houston.

Yep you're right I mis read that.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe year to year salary can only fluctuate by a certain percentage, so much harder to structure a contract that teams can't match. I personally do not believe anyone will give up the picks, but this allows Houston to figure out his worth on the market.

About "base salary", you are correct, but do you think the Chiefs could match the following front-loaded contract?:

$40/2 years, $30 million signing bonus prorated between 2015 and 2016, with a second-year option to extend Houston for four more years?

Teams will have no problem designing a contract that the Chiefs would be unable to match due to the salary cap. The bigger issue really is going to be which teams would be willing to give up two first-round draft picks.

Has anyone stopped to think that Houston is wanting out of KC because he wants to play against KC's oline? He knows they are garbage and would ravage them single handedly. Think of how many sacks he could get...he was just short of the record this season. Houston said he wants to be one of the greatest, well play against our online that can be done. Smart if you ask me!

Has anyone stopped to think that Houston is wanting out of KC because he wants to play against KC's oline? He knows they are garbage and would ravage them single handedly. Think of how many sacks he could get...he was just short of the record this season. Houston said he wants to be one of the greatest, well play against our online that can be done. Smart if you ask me!

assuming of course he played for another AFC West team. If he's hedging his bets on that  I'd say his thinking is no more intelligent than that last post of yours.

assuming of course he played for another AFC West team. If he's hedging his bets on that I'd say his thinking is no more intelligent than that last post of yours.

It was a joke, God that would suck if we had to deal with Houston.

If the Chiefs have $14 mill to franchise Houston, it is hard for some to give him a deal we can't match.  If they do, they are morons (see Philly).  Number 1, you have to make him the highest paid player in the league (or close) and give up your first rounder for the next 2 years.  Lunacy. 

This is the smart play.  I know many pay the man, but if you found out he wanted $20 mill a year guaranteed you would change your mind.  Not saying he wants that, just saying we don't know what he wants.  We don't know what he wanted last year.

If the Chiefs have $14 mill to franchise Houston, it is hard for some to give him a deal we can't match. If they do, they are morons (see Philly). Number 1, you have to make him the highest paid player in the league (or close) and give up your first rounder for the next 2 years. Lunacy.

This is the smart play. I know many pay the man, but if you found out he wanted $20 mill a year guaranteed you would change your mind. Not saying he wants that, just saying we don't know what he wants. We don't know what he wanted last year.

I'm just laughing at how many people disagreed when I said the Chiefs were cheap and don't make deals happen. They all said they have faith in the gm, coach, and owner, the same owner who according to some doesn't have a hand in the decision making w players, which is bogus considering Clark recently spoke about how he is involved all the time. Basically, if everyone has faith then why is everyone worried? I'm not...and I have little faith. A lot of assumptions happening about Houston and talks w the Chiefs...

I'm just laughing at how many people disagreed when I said the Chiefs were cheap and don't make deals happen. They all said they have faith in the gm, coach, and owner, the same owner who according to some doesn't have a hand in the decision making w players, which is bogus considering Clark recently spoke about how he is involved all the time. Basically, if everyone has faith then why is everyone worried? I'm not...and I have little faith. A lot of assumptions happening about Houston and talks w the Chiefs...

I wish they would have been a littel cheaper with Bowe.  They weren't cheap with Smith either.  I agree there was a time when they were the Kansas City Cheaps, but we are way over the cap now.  I don't think we are cheaper than most teams anymore. 

Could you respond to this? How can an owner be cheap when there is a minimum salary cap and we're always close to the maximum? Any little amount they have is rolled over to the next year's minimum and maximum. He can't sit on the money and keep it.

An owner can be cheap with the coach because that's not part of the salary cap. And owner can be cheap with the stadium, because that's not part of the salary cap. But with players, how can one be cheap when there are minimum limitations and we're not even close to the minimum (actually, the opposite)? We either spend all of our money on the wrong guys or the right guys.

Be wary of the Colts in this Justin Houston charade, that's all I have to say. They have money, a low pick in the 1st this year, and likely next, and they already have a franchise QB with very few major holes in the roster. They could easily swing for Houston and he would fill their biggest need.

and then get beat by the colts again in the playoffs. These days the colts are ranked right up there  in teams I would refuse to help. Broncos/Raiders,/Pats being the other top 3

As an alternative, you could be the team that never fields enough talent across eleven roster spots to even make the playoffs. That does of course guarantee that you don't lose in the post-season. (It also guarantees that you don't win in the post-season.)

One man does not a unit make.

Be wary of the Colts in this Justin Houston charade, that's all I have to say. They have money, a low pick in the 1st this year, and likely next, and they already have a franchise QB with very few major holes in the roster. They could easily swing for Houston and he would fill their biggest need.

Nah, nobody is giving two firsts for a LOLB... I will eat crow if it happens but I just don't see it.

Nah, nobody is giving two firsts for a LOLB... I will eat crow if it happens but I just don't see it.

Stop with the left outside linebacker stuff. He's a great lb. Trying to diminish him with that is just ridiculous. The guy has earned his pay day and is one of the best players in the league.

Atlanta Falcons need a pass rusher. They have $30 M under their cap. Justin Houston is from Statesboro, Georgia. He went to college at Georgia, which is only 170 miles northwest of his home town. Atlanta is also only 210 miles away from Statesboro. So, it would be close, and clearly Houston is a hometown guy.

There is also this issue... Eric Berry. Berry is also from Georgia. Berry is from Fairburn, Georgia. Fairburn is just twenty minutes southwest of Atlanta. Eric Berry is now recovering in Atlanta, Georgia. Eric Berry, and Justin Houston are close friends. The Chiefs will likely cut ties with Eric Berry. Berry may decide to not return to KC. What better place than Atlanta for Eric Berry to find employment?

I think Justin Houston will want to return to Kansas City if he gets his deal. Forget about the $100 M JJ Watt deal. That number was yesterday's news. The new number will be higher. I am hearing the new deal may be in the $140 M territory. Houston is not going to give the Chiefs a hometown discount. He doesn't consider KC his hometown, and we are talking about real money. He can get that kind of deal in Atlanta. He can get both of it. If anyplace were to get a hometown discount, then it would be Atlanta. 

The trouble is Houston may wait until after the draft to sign the franchise offer. However, Kansas City did not give Houston the exclusive franchise classification. That is why we are talking about what happens if KC lets you Houston go to another team. KC would get two first round picks. If this were to happen before the draft, the Chiefs would get an extra first round pick this year, and another first round pick in the 2016 draft. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/randy-gregory?id=2552446 If this were to happen, this is with whom the Chiefs would replace Houston.

Atlanta Falcons need a pass rusher. They have $30 M under their cap. Justin Houston is from Statesboro, Georgia. He went to college at Georgia, which is only 170 miles northwest of his home town. Atlanta is also only 210 miles away from Statesboro. So, it would be close, and clearly Houston is a hometown guy.

There is also this issue... Eric Berry. Berry is also from Georgia. Berry is from Fairburn, Georgia. Fairburn is just twenty minutes southwest of Atlanta. Eric Berry is now recovering in Atlanta, Georgia. Eric Berry, and Justin Houston are close friends. The Chiefs will likely cut ties with Eric Berry. Berry may decide to not return to KC. What better place than Atlanta for Eric Berry to find employment?

I think Justin Houston will want to return to Kansas City if he gets his deal. Forget about the $100 M JJ Watt deal. That number was yesterday's news. The new number will be higher. I am hearing the new deal may be in the $140 M territory. Houston is not going to give the Chiefs a hometown discount. He doesn't consider KC his hometown, and we are talking about real money. He can get that kind of deal in Atlanta. He can get both of it. If anyplace were to get a hometown discount, then it would be Atlanta. 

link?

The trouble is Houston may wait until after the draft to sign the franchise offer. However, Kansas City did not give Houston the exclusive franchise classification. That is why we are talking about what happens if KC lets you Houston go to another team. KC would get two first round picks. If this were to happen before the draft, the Chiefs would get an extra first round pick this year, and another first round pick in the 2016 draft. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/randy-gregory?id=2552446 If this were to happen, this is with whom the Chiefs would replace Houston.

its a passing league E .and he's no pass rusher, replacing Houston with him? Ford better become the next DT/Houston and then possibly  this guy could become a Neil Smith if he added 25 #'s.

Archived