Justin Houston/Could this Actually happen?

Atlanta Falcons need a pass rusher. They have $30 M under their cap. Justin Houston is from Statesboro, Georgia. He went to college at Georgia, which is only 170 miles northwest of his home town. Atlanta is also only 210 miles away from Statesboro. So, it would be close, and clearly Houston is a hometown guy.

There is also this issue... Eric Berry. Berry is also from Georgia. Berry is from Fairburn, Georgia. Fairburn is just twenty minutes southwest of Atlanta. Eric Berry is now recovering in Atlanta, Georgia. Eric Berry, and Justin Houston are close friends. The Chiefs will likely cut ties with Eric Berry. Berry may decide to not return to KC. What better place than Atlanta for Eric Berry to find employment?

I think Justin Houston will want to return to Kansas City if he gets his deal. Forget about the $100 M JJ Watt deal. That number was yesterday's news. The new number will be higher. I am hearing the new deal may be in the $140 M territory. Houston is not going to give the Chiefs a hometown discount. He doesn't consider KC his hometown, and we are talking about real money. He can get that kind of deal in Atlanta. He can get both of it. If anyplace were to get a hometown discount, then it would be Atlanta. 

Atlanta has a ton of problems. If they trade two first round picks for a LOLB, the fanbase will go nuts. They just traded two first round picks to get Julio Jones and it shows in the lack of quality on the defensive side of the roster. He's not going to Atlanta. They have to nail their draft picks or their GM will be out of a job for sure.

90% of the fan base wanted Dimitrov gone with Mike Smith. He has to make and nail his draft picks. At a minimum, their first two picks have to be starters.

Last, throw in the fact that they are about to lose a draft pick or two for turning up the volume in the Georgia Dome for two years and that seals the deal. Local radio believes it will be 3rd or 4th round pick. They need every draft pick they've got.

Next year? That's another story

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop with the left outside linebacker stuff. He's a great lb. Trying to diminish him with that is just ridiculous. The guy has earned his pay day and is one of the best players in the league.

He deserves to get paid but, no team is going to give up two first round draft picks for a LOLB. It is relevant in the trade argument.  

Mugsy, it has nothing to do with him being an OLB. It has everything to do with the guy being the 2nd best edge defender in the NFL behind only JJ Watt. If I were the Colts I'd trade the 2 firsts and not bat an eyelash, literally. Houston is a perfect fit there, doesn't matter if he plays LOLB, ROLB, LDE, RDE, or whatever position you want to assign him to, the guy is a generational premier edge defender. Those don't grow on trees.

Mugsy, it has nothing to do with him being an OLB. It has everything to do with the guy being the 2nd best edge defender in the NFL behind only JJ Watt. If I were the Colts I'd trade the 2 firsts and not bat an eyelash, literally. Houston is a perfect fit there, doesn't matter if he plays LOLB, ROLB, LDE, RDE, or whatever position you want to assign him to, the guy is a generational premier edge defender. Those don't grow on trees.

Thank you.

The Chiefs don't have to have someone as good as Houston to replace him. They just need the sum of their defense in 2015 to have quality commensurate with the sum of their defense in 2014. Don't expect Dee Ford or a yet-to-be-drafted rookie to do a flawless Justin Houston impersonation this season. At the same time, expect that what the Chiefs could do with about $13 million in additional cap space and a pair of first round draft picks over the next two years is more than they'll be able to do with a third-round compensatory pick in 2017 should the Chiefs be forced to allow Houston to walk after playing out a season on the Franchise Tag.

Let him go. The team will move on. Houston was an important part of the 2014 defense, but there's plenty of reason to believe that the Chiefs' 2015 playoff aspirations don't depend absolutely on Houston.

The trouble is Houston may wait until after the draft to sign the franchise offer. However, Kansas City did not give Houston the exclusive franchise classification. That is why we are talking about what happens if KC lets you Houston go to another team. KC would get two first round picks. If this were to happen before the draft, the Chiefs would get an extra first round pick this year, and another first round pick in the 2016 draft. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/randy-gregory?id=2552446 If this were to happen, this is with whom the Chiefs would replace Houston.

2 problems with that, E. Nobody will give up 2 high draft picks, and he will be long gone by the timE we pick. I'd put him as the 4th best edge rusher in this draft.

Unhappy with Chiefs, Houston hopes to attract an offer sheet

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjAP

Once the new league year begins on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET, players restricted by the franchise tag can start entertaining offers from teams that would be willing:  (1) to pay them a lot of money; and (2) to give up two first-round draft picks to make it happen.

It’s highly unusual for franchise players to be signed to offer sheets, because teams regard any unused first-round picks as potential Hall of Fame players.  Chiefs linebacker Justin Houston could become the exception, for various reasons.

First, he enters the process after completing a 22-sack season.  No player with that kind of performance has been available on the heels of it, with or without compensation.

Second, he’s motivated to move on.  Per multiple sources, Houston is very upset with the Chiefs.  It’s believed that he’ll actively solicit an offer sheet in the hopes the Chiefs won’t match it.

If an offer sheet doesn’t happen before the 2015 draft, something could happen after the draft, because at that point a team signing him would give up first-round picks in 2016 and 2017.  For a coach or G.M. who may be fired at the end of the season, giving up draft picks they may not be there to use is a small price to pay.

As previously explained, Houston is considering staying away from the Chiefs until Week 10 of the regular season, the deadline for showing up and completing enough of the season to become a free agent next year.

Guest okiechief

If he ends up signing with another team for around 6/90, then Dorsey derseves blame but if he is asking north of 100 and wanting to be the highest paid def player in the game then I'm not going to blame Dorsey at all for that.

Gut feeling right now is that he believes he is the best player and wants to be paid like it.

Well I was wrong and owe someone a bet. Chiefs never change.

Save your wagers until he signs and isn't matched. Until then, you haven't lost. If Houston's asking for too much, and someone gives it to him, I can only blame Dorsey for not exclusive tagging, but the two first round picks and saved money is partial compensation.

Don't like that this is with an AFC team, but at least it's not an AFCW team.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12444126/ndamukong-suh-sign-6-year-114-million-deal-miami-dolphins

How does this affect Houston? I guess at the very least keeps his options open to Oakland getting him (been talked about by other Coalition members, not sure how serious, but usually in regard to their first round draft pick).

If we get their two firsts, it makes trading with Philadelphia for more or drafting Mariota a bigger possibility, though we could go get Cooper in that case. Get his rookie year over and that's good for any QB we have, Smith or not.

with Suh getting 6 year $114 mil $60 mil guaranteed Houston's price should surprise no one if its  around 6 year $110 mil $50-60 Mil guaranteed. You know its got to be between $105-110 mil

Questions are who can afford that  & 2 first round draft picks and could the Chiefs afford it even IF they wanted to? Man o man I bet Dorsey's asshole could of  snapped a #2 pencil when he found this out.

Save your wagers until he signs and isn't matched. Until then, you haven't lost. If Houston's asking for too much, and someone gives it to him, I can only blame Dorsey for not exclusive tagging, but the two first round picks and saved money is partial compensation.

The only thing that I can blame Dorsey for is not extending Houston last offseason. Who knew he would have 22 sacks? But still, would have been a lot cheaper.

The only thing that I can blame Dorsey for is not extending Houston last offseason. Who knew he would have 22 sacks? But still, would have been a lot cheaper.

Maybe he wouldn't have gotten the 22 if he had been signed? Nah, it's not fair for me to suggest that. The 22 sacks were wasted anyway (because we missed the playoffs) so if he had fewer it wouldn't have hurt if he had been signed last off-season.

Part of why Dorsey gets paid the big bucks . Extend before they become a superstar and release before they become a liability...other wise staying ahead of the curve. Pro active instead of reactive. I have seen very little pro activity on Dorsey's part to date.

I don't know why people assume "no team will trade two first round picks and sign him for 100 million." First of all, the two first round picks aren't going to be that big of a deal to teams like the Colts that have a franchise QB, have a solid playoff caliber roster, are picking at the end of the first, have a need at the position, and have the cap room to sign him without issue.

Houston just turned 26 years old. There is absolutely no reason to think he won't play entirely through a 6 year deal and then some for your franchise. He's basically locked in through a vast majority of a Super Bowl window for a team like the Colts.

What, honestly, do they have to lose in this situation? In all likelihood they are going to spend a high round pick on a pass rusher because Robert Mathis is 34 and coming off of an Achilles injury. So, they are basically giving up one extra low-first-round pick for an already developed, premier pass rusher that perfectly fits their defensive scheme. Big deal. And the money? Not really an issue.

I don't think a team picking in the top half of the draft is going to give up a pick, but pick 29 and a likely bottom 3rd pick again next year? No problem. You could trade both picks away and possibly still not get into the top 15 to snag a top level pass rusher in the draft.

While it may not be likely, assuming it can't or won't happen is lunacy. I'd venture to say the Chiefs might be hoping it happens. Two first for one player and 13 million in cap relief to fix the offensive problems? Yeah, they'd go for that.

Maybe you could sign Jason Worilds to a Paul Kruger type deal and Jeremy Maclin to a Victor Cruz type deal. You eat up about 16.4 million in those 2 deals so you only have to cut a guy like Chase Daniel to make that happen. Then you have an extra 1st in each of the next 2 years. Not a bad deal.

You then also have the ammunition to trade up into the top 10 this year if there is a player you want. You want to go up and get a Kevin White? Go get him. It isn't the end of the world to trade Justin Houston away. He's a great player and I love watching him on Sundays, but if it is a net gain for KC, then I'm all for it. I want to see KC win a championship, whether Justin Houston is a part of it or not.

Guest KC Warpaint

i just don't understand why we are hearing that he hates KC so much, it was not our fault he got caught with weed and fell to the third round unless something happened under the pioli regime...if him leaving means we can manuver around more and get extra picks i will be fine with that as long as he doesn't end up in Oakland

Heard an interesting stat on the radio today... Three current players that aren't QBs are now playing under $100 million+ contracts.

1. JJ Watt

2. Ndamukong Suh

3. Calvin Johnson

None of those guys have won a playoff game. 

Archived