Justin Houston/Could this Actually happen?

We done know if he would have signed an extension last year. He too may have preferred to play and create more value. That was not a given.

The fact he is complaining openly is simply pathetic. He still gets 12 million this year and is a free agent next year.

To me its see you later Houston in 2016. Clearly 100 million etc is just too much for an NFL defensive player. This is not baseball. It takes a complete team to win in the NFL and there is a salary cap.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of this is just "rumblin" by the media or Houston's agent unless you have seen something I missed.

Of course, Houston's agent would love to see a $100mil deal......I just do not see a team stepping up for BOTH the $$$ & the Draft Picks.....

Andrew Luck....Yes...

J Houston.....I do not see it.

w

Part of why Dorsey gets paid the big bucks . Extend before they become a superstar and release before they become a liability...other wise staying ahead of the curve. Pro active instead of reactive. I have seen very little pro activity on Dorsey's part to date.

Well said OT.

I posted this last July. Dorsey should not have extended him before the season imo. 

Houston has never had more than 11 sacks in a season (last year). He probably would have had more last year but he got hurt. He's also always had Tamba playing across from him. Also, consider where he got his sacks last year. He got 3 against Jacksonville and 4.5 against Philadelphia going against a rookies in both games. He got one sack against Oakland, one against Tennesee, and one against Cleveland who have crappy RTs. He had a half a sack against Houston. His only other sack came in the playoff game against Indy. When I look at this, I only see 2.5 sacks that were against good competition. Now consider that 65% of his sacks came in two games against rookies and 78% of his sacks came against crappy RTs, it's pretty easy to see that he may be a little overhyped.

Now consider that Tennesee took a RT with the 11th pick (Lewan), Cleveland took at RT with the 35th pick (Bitonio), and the Raiders signed Austin Howard to play RT this past offseason.

Houston's production came against some pretty crappy players last year. I like the guy but I wouldn't over pay for him.

http://chiefscoalition.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/109-5-potential-holdouts-including-justin-houston/page-2

Throw in the drug issues at UGA and the combine and it made sense to wait imo. 

• 1 month later...
Guest okiechief

http://www.chiefsdigest.com/chiefs-olb-justin-houston-not-expected-to-show-for-offseason-workout-program/

On my phone or i would post the article. The interview with Joel Corry i thought was interesting. Made me wonder though if he hasn't talked with Houston's agent and has an idea of what's going on. Speculation on my part, but i agree with Corry on where each side stands. Houston wants to be paid as the one of the best defensive players, KC wants to pay him as a LB. Big difference in money.

Impossible.

I am certain that once the draft is complete and the second round of FA are looked at and picked from, and the camp cuts are made, and the rookie salaries are calculated to see what the cap is, and after having Alex Smith restructure, we will sign him. I am certain we will sign him, but all those things take awhile.

Impossible.

I am certain that once the draft is complete and the second round of FA are looked at and picked from, and the camp cuts are made, and the rookie salaries are calculated to see what the cap is, and after having Alex Smith restructure, we will sign him. I am certain we will sign him, but all those things take awhile.

I'm throwing out a new number: $15 million per year tops. I'm done with Houston's stance. The Dolphins have already become the league's joke by means of the Suh mega-contract. The Chiefs have to make that same mistake if they want Houston at Training Camp. Let another team make that mistake. Trade his rights to another team for an early first-round pick and be done with this. Draft another pass rushing linebacker this year and put Dee Ford in Houston's spot. We'll miss Houston, but it's not as if he is indispensible to the degree he imagines he is.

Guest Paulie

He can be franchised twice, right? So we have him for 2 more years. That is worst case, but at least it is there. I don't think you can replace him. He can do too many things well.

They can tag him 3 times.

The third year is a huge increase, though.

Remember when LJs contract came up?  Several members here said, "Just give him the money.  He's our offense."  The same thing applies to Houston.  Overpaying is a formula for team mediocrity for the future.  I want Houston to remain a Chief because he's a top talent and makes the DB's job easier.  But caving to unreasonable demands of his agent will not help the team long term.  Reid's presser on Monday would indicate that he is confident that Houston will get signed but that may just be happy talk at this point.

Archived