Maclin to kc? yes per mort

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report: Jeremy Maclin joining Kansas City

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 8, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjAP

Score one for the team that didn’t get a single touchdown from its wide receivers in 2014.

Eagles wide receiver Jeremy Maclin intends to sign with the Chiefs, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported Sunday night.

A Chesterfield, Missouri native and University of Missouri product, the 26-year-old Maclin hauled a career-high 85 passes for 1,318 yards and 10 touchdowns for the Eagles in 2014. He played four seasons under now-Chiefs coach Andy Reid in Philadelphia (2009-2012).

The reported loss of Maclin is a setback for the Eagles, whose offense is suddenly in need of speed. In the last year, the club has let go of wide receiver DeSean Jackson and agreed to deal tailback LeSean McCoy.

And now, Maclin looks to be departing, too.

Probably a lot guaranteed so they can spread it out. I would guess shadow is correct and we see a low cap hit in year 1.

Great signing. Unlike bowe, he can get separation. Over 500 yac last year.

Maclin, kelse, Wilson, thomas, Charles and knile davis.

Chiefs can now go bpa in first. I'm betting they didn't like the wr value at 18 after the top 3 guys go early.

From pff: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/03/07/countdown-to-free-agency-live-blog/

20:50 As Chris Mortensen reports, the Chiefs may be very close to adding former Philadelphia Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin to their WR corps as he’s expected to re-unite with Andy Reid. Maclin is coming off a strong season in which he caught 85 passes for 1318 yards and 10 touchdowns. He dropped only one pass to lead the league in drop rate, while adding nine catches for 356 yards on passes thrown at least 20 yards in the air.

The question now becomes, can the Chiefs actually take advantage of him as a deep threat as quarterback Alex Smith attempted only 5.2 percent of his passes beyond 20 yards, by far the lowest rate in the league. Maclin did pick up 511 yards after the catch, good for seventh among wide receivers, so that after-the-catch ability will be coveted in the Chiefs’ short passing game.

This move is a serious sign that the Chiefs mean business if it actually works out. Can anyone remember the Chiefs actually making a move like this in the last 20 years? In fact, I can't think of a significant signing like this outside of the moves that brought super Joe and Marcus Allen to the Chiefs way back in 1993. It's at least comparable.

Bowe looks to be gone. The only detail is will it be soon, or a June 1 cut? 

The Chiefs will add at least one other WR in the draft. They don't have to draft high. A player such as Darren Waller, though raw, would be a nice fit in red zone situations. 

I am seeing Lockett anywhere from 2nd to 4th round. If he is still there at the end of the 3rd round, the Chiefs should pick him with their first compensatory selection. 

Maclin would be either the z or x. Wilson would be the slot. Luckett would be another slot. Waller could play Z or just be a possession receiver. DAT would be the utility receiver as he was last season. 

Chiefs can now go bpa in first. I'm betting they didn't like the wr value at 18 after the top 3 guys go early.

Xen...I think this is right on the money. Top 3 WRs will be gone by 18. Chiefs can focus on OLine, ILB, safety. A lot of folks are thinking it will be Landon Collins. I do know Chiefs can go a lot of different ways here. 

Keeping Hali, and signing Maclin will only help the Chiefs re-sign Hudson. It is currently between OAK and KC for Hudson. My guess is he stays put. 

Man I hope you are right. If we sign Hudson and don't screw the pooch with Houston then the draft is going to be so much better for the Chiefs because I hope it means they won't be reaching for players to fill dire needs.

Archived