Maclin to kc? yes per mort

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the following is not an issue, but just a heads up on a way the NFL could screw us:

m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12457029

The NFL sent memos to several teams Tuesday, telling them to hold on to their phone records because the league will be investigating agreements teams reached with players during the three-day negotiating period, a source tells ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The news comes a day after the NFL sent letters to all 32 teams, stating its displeasure with the release of contract terms before free agency officially began at 4 p.m. ET Tuesday.

"The memo makes clear that we will look into any potential violations of the rules," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday.

The last sentence of the letter reads: "At this time, the league office is beginning investigations into a number of reported agreements with clubs. Violations will be dealt with accordingly."

The NFL sent its memo after news leaked, beginning Sunday, of several agreements between high-profile free agents and teams, including Ndamukong Suh with the Dolphins, Byron Maxwell with the Eagles and Jeremy Maclinwith the Chiefs.

NFL free agents were permitted to officially sign with other teams beginning Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET, but a three-day negotiating period began Saturday during which teams could start exchanging written summaries of their pitches to agents of players on other teams. Teams can negotiate based on an agent's response but are not permitted to describe their pitches as offers.

Teams also are not permitted to agree to contracts with players on other teams during the negotiating period.

The NFL reminded all 32 teams of the rules for the negotiating period in a memo it sent Friday, a copy of which was obtained by Pro Football Talk.

"You are reminded that the purpose of the three-day negotiating period is to create a level playing field in the competition for Unrestricted Free Agents, by permitting clubs to express interest in a prospective UFA and to exchange information with certified agents regarding the level of compensation envisioned by the club and the agent," the NFL wrote in the memo, according to the website. "Any attempt to undermine the purpose of this negotiating period may be considered conduct detrimental to the League."

If Denver wasn't found in violation of this last year (in regards to Sanders) then the Chiefs won't either.

I think you are forgetting about the bold.

I don't think anything will happen, I'm just paranoid because of things that have happened to my teams before.

I like what we are doing. Setting up to go all OLINE draft.

1.  La'El Collins - T

2.  Laken Tomlinson - RG / backup C

3.  A J Cann - LG

3b.Tyler Lockett - WR (Slot)

That should do it. Perhaps John Miller - G in round 4

I think you are forgetting about the bold.

I don't think anything will happen, I'm just paranoid because of things that have happened to my teams before.

Isn't the issue releasing the terms of agreement before the FA period begins?  I doubt KC released or confirmed Macklin's contract before today.  Probably much of the news that is being investigated comes from media speculation of tweets from the players or their friends.  Can't blame the teams for that.

Isn't the issue releasing the terms of agreement before the FA period begins? I doubt KC released or confirmed Macklin's contract before today. Probably much of the news that is being investigated comes from media speculation of tweets from the players or their friends. Can't blame the teams for that.

The issue is from the long article I posted was about agreeing to terms and giving offers as opposed just exchanging (forgot what they called it). It wasn't about letting others know or leaking.

1.  La'El Collins - T

2.  Laken Tomlinson - RG / backup C

3.  A J Cann - LG

3b.Tyler Lockett - WR (Slot)

That should do it. Perhaps John Miller - G in round 4

That would be awesome. However, I think Lockett goes in the second round. His stock is rising fast.

The 'issue' is that negotiation BY DEFINITION is a process of offer and counter-offer, so saying you can negotiate but not offer is preposterous.

I agree that it's preposterous, but the article was talking about pitches versus offers. I don't see a distinction and that would be terrible to lose anyone because of that stupid distinction.

[Jeremy Maclin]'s worth $9 million per year. The Eagles already offered that. I don't see the Chiefs doing better with Maclin than they would do by restructuring Bowe's contract for 2015 to become fully guaranteed upon the start of the regular season, and then to unconditionally terminate at the end of 2015 (thereby eliminating all potential dead money related to his previous contract).

nfl.com considers the Chiefs' signing of Jeremy Maclin a case of 'blind spending'. I think the signing was better than that, but I also believe that the Chiefs had to overpay to bring Maclin here. With that said, the offense seems to have a little more versatility now than we were previously accustomed to. Maclin's ultimate value can be multiplied by the acquisition of quality offensive linemen.

Archived