Chiefs Acquire Safety Kelcie McCray from Bucs

Johnson was definately disappointing in training camp. I'll eat some crow on him. I thought he was a lock to start this year.

Maybe McCray will work out? In 2012, he was injured and lost for the season in Miami. In 2013, he saw quite a bit of time on special teams in Tampa. He did make some plays on special teams. I hope we get the better end of this deal.

The only that worries me about this is Berry's injury. Is it worse than what they are telling us? First they signed Gregory and now they trade Johnson? I hope I am not reading too much into this.

Here's what our Buccaneers blog, Bucs Nation, has to say about the Chiefs new safety.

It seems like a good bet special teams coordinator Dave Toub will get to work with the KC Chiefs new safety. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced they traded safety Kelcie McCray to the Chiefs for guard Rishaw Johnson.

So one of the first questions -- besides, man how far did Rishaw fall on the depth chart? -- is where McCray will contribute to the team. He is a safety so he'll see reps somewhere in the secondary. But he's also a potential special teams contributor.

I shot an email to Sander over at Bucs Nation, who covered McCray since he joined the Bucs last October. Here's what he said about McCray:

AT LEAST YOU KNOW HE'LL BE A CONTRIBUTOR ON SPECIAL TEAMS.

"I'm slightly awed that the Buccaneers actually managed to get something for Kelcie McCray, who seemed to be the fifth or sixth safety on the roster, but then that position is one of their deepest. He was a fixture on special teams last year, grabbing 26 percent of the year-long special teams snaps despite being with the Dolphins for the first five games of the season. That shows he has the speed and size to develop into a good safety, but he didn't get a chance to get on the field in 2013, and didn't stand out during the past two preseason games, either.

"But at least you know he'll be a contributor on special teams."

The reason this trade happened is pretty simple. The Bucs had good depth at safety so they traded McCray, who probably wasn't going to make their roster. The Chiefs had two other players at guard who may have passed up Johnson, who probably wasn't going to make the roster. Neither side loses much even if their new player doesn't make the 53-man roster.

Archived