Free Agency 2015...Are the Chiefs Done?

I think Dorsey may have other agreements to restructure in place and available. Maybe Smith? Keeping this quiet allows the team to stay in the game and not over pay for second tier free agents. I also see KC , with Reed & Winning, a place players actually want to come to. Its been a long time since we have seen this. Yes more moves.

They cannot be done with free agency in 2015: After signing approximately 10 draft picks, they will fill out their roster to 90 by signing free agents.

Are they done in the first salvo of free agency? Almost assuredly, Yes. The only other moves that might be made before the draft would involve further trades or the signing of an unexpected release. Any other possible signings would be predicated on the extension or trade of Justin Houston or the trade of Chase Daniel, as there really aren't any other restructures that could open up more cap room in 2015.

Since he played with Alex Smith in SF, maybe WR Michael Crabtree is a possibility.

I'd like to see the scenario where that is affordable

I don't think they'd like to play together because of Crabtree's tendency to pop up (2010) or drop (2011) passes and blame the QB when he doesn't get separation (NFCC). I get blame, but everyone else kept it in-house.

Crabtree won't like Smith because he wants a QB who will force the ball to him - it worked at the end of 2012 with Kaepernick. After teams studied Kaepernick and got to know Crabtree was Kaepernick's version of Alex Smith's Vernon Davis, Crabtree was taken away. Injuries hurt but there was defensively an easier way to take Crabtree out of his game than it was Davis, if the QB went to him. Kaepernick didn't go to Davis and Davis had a bit of the dropsies last year, putting those together pushed the ball to the more reliable Boldin and heck, even Stevie Johnson, who was released.

Having said all that, if Crabtree could come here and help us in a #2 or #3 capacity, he'd do well for us, which would of course make people feel Smith held him back from being a #1. If he were our #1, he'd do worse than Maclin - and this is with the SAME QB, so any criticism of Smith to Crabtree would be there to Maclin.

I don't think they'd like to play together because of Crabtree's tendency to pop up (2010) or drop (2011) passes and blame the QB when he doesn't get separation (NFCC). I get blame, but everyone else kept it in-house.

Crabtree won't like Smith because he wants a QB who will force the ball to him - it worked at the end of 2012 with Kaepernick. After teams studied Kaepernick and got to know Crabtree was Kaepernick's version of Alex Smith's Vernon Davis, Crabtree was taken away. Injuries hurt but there was defensively an easier way to take Crabtree out of his game than it was Davis, if the QB went to him. Kaepernick didn't go to Davis and Davis had a bit of the dropsies last year, putting those together pushed the ball to the more reliable Boldin and heck, even Stevie Johnson, who was released.

Having said all that, if Crabtree could come here and help us in a #2 or #3 capacity, he'd do well for us, which would of course make people feel Smith held him back from being a #1. If he were our #1, he'd do worse than Maclin - and this is with the SAME QB, so any criticism of Smith to Crabtree would be there to Maclin.

i would have rather kept Bowe as our #2, cuz crabtree and him sound very similar (except for the Cap hit)

Wish they would re-sign Powe. He's a free agent and I like him. They won't do it though...

He will probably be a vet minimum. I would not discount that at all. They need a player to give Poe some relief. There are probably better choices, but he is going to be cheap. 

Since he played with Alex Smith in SF, maybe WR Michael Crabtree is a possibility.

Vernon Davis was catching his passes from Smith almost anywhere on the field, while Crabtree's bread and butter during the Kaepernick years was the comeback route. This had nothing to do with Crabtree's ability, but rather the enormous tactical advantage of having a quarterback that can rifle the ball into the secondary. Crabtree never was particularly good as a wide receiver, going through spurts of dropping catchable balls, and not developing particularly well as a versatile route runner. He was, like Bowe, a good down field blocker. Nevertheless, the tape shows that once secondaries began taking calculated risks in order to stop the comeback routes, Kaepernick struggled to find his receivers at the next level. Sometimes Kaepernick's receivers bailed him out with ridiculously acrobatic catches, but in most cases, Kaepernick couldn't put the ball where only his receiver could get it because his deep passing had no touch to it.

Crabtree is not a terrible receiver, but he's not a number one receiver and never has been. He lacked the deep speed, acceleration, and versatility of a true number one wideout. Ultimately, Crabtree will not be a Chief because Smith won't play with him. Crabtree can continue to pretend that he was the injured party in his embarrassing 3 yard performance in the 2011 NFC Conference Championship, but when Crabtree's name came up in Dorsey's discussions with Smith (as I'm sure it did), Smith told Dorsey that he could positively do better than to bring in a tiny version of Bowe with one decent year to his career and an unhealthy prima donna attitude.

Are they done? No. Will you see any more high contract signings? Probably not. They will turn the bottom 3rd types and sign guys to vet minimum one-year contracts so they don't affect the top 51 against the cap.

Archived