AP Film Review | Jeremy "Easy Button" Maclin

it is worth it..

hard to read this and not get excited to see the film back it up..and realize...finally... after so many years the Kansas City Chiefs have a STUD wide receiver..

now if the line holds up Alex Smith will make those missed throws alluded to in the article. He must have time tho..or he'll start checking down repeatedly..to travis kelce...and jamal Charles..and DAT..

oh man please fix the line and watch the fireworks explode.

Went back and looked at a lot of tape on Maclin. I pretty much came away with the same assessment. I think Maclin's pluses are many. He knows how to run a good route. He finds seams in a zone and sits in the holes in that zone really well. He has over the top speed. Saw many a time where he blew by the defender. He knows where he is on an out route and gets his feet in.

the only real negative I saw was he goes down pretty easy with arm tackles. A lot of that is negated by the fact not a lot of guys got arms on him in the open field. Also understand that he is not a very good blocker. Life is filled with trade offs. Few receivers are the complete package. Should be fun seeing what he looks like in a Chiefs uni. Get ready Denver....KC has a real wide receiver!!

it is worth it..

hard to read this and not get excited to see the film back it up..and realize...finally... after so many years the Kansas City Chiefs have a STUD wide receiver..

now if the line holds up Alex Smith will make those missed throws alluded to in the article. He must have time tho..or he'll start checking down repeatedly..to travis kelce...and jamal Charles..and DAT..

oh man please fix the line and watch the fireworks explode.

There are beginning to be a lot of weapons in the arsenal. 

One thing is for sure... for the first time in my years at Chiefs Coalition, wilkie will no longer be able to play the "stack the box" card - Jamaal is going to have a field day, because with Kelce *and* Maclin out there defenses will no longer be able to just focus on taking away 1 or 2 weapons. I can't wait - hope the Royals don't go screwing up our coverage of training camp again this year. ;)

One thing is for sure... for the first time in my years at Chiefs Coalition, wilkie will no longer be able to play the "stack the box" card - Jamaal is going to have a field day, because with Kelce *and* Maclin out there defenses will no longer be able to just focus on taking away 1 or 2 weapons. I can't wait - hope the Royals don't go screwing up our coverage of training camp again this year. ;)

Kelce is doing to have a monster year. Mark this down. 70 catches, 1000, 9 td's

Kelce is doing to have a monster year. Mark this down. 70 catches, 1000, 9 td's

And that will be a negative for Alex Smith but a positive for Drew Brees with Jimmy Graham.

I don't mind the desire and push for WRs to get more targets, catches, and deeper opportunities, because we need those and there should be more pressure for Smith to get those opportunities (in a smart way), but I read a lot everywhere and when Vernon Davis did well, it was a negative for Smith. When I read there, I wasn't a Niners fan, but wanted Smith to do well. So, my perspective was a bit skewed, I just didn't think one's success should take away from another. We got that a little bit with Charles because how good he is, but I'm a Chiefs fan so it didn't bother me as much.

And that will be a negative for Alex Smith but a positive for Drew Brees with Jimmy Graham.

It's also going to be a positive for Russell Wilson with Jimmy Graham, and it was a positive for Colin Kaepernick with Vernon Davis. And when Vernon Davis stopped catching passes, it was Davis' fault (and not Kaepernick's for constantly getting Davis' bell rung by leading him directly into safeties).

• 2 weeks later...

Alex Smith's #1 "tradeoff" (you can argue whether it's a flaw or just smart play) is that he's seldom going to throw into tight windows for the receiver to make a contested catch - he wants someone who's open for the safe throw, which is something we've seen so little of that many are skeptical he can or will even make the throws when they're there. I've seen enough statistically though to have confidence that Smith will consistently look for, find, and throw (effectively) to Maclin wher ever he's at on the field, because he has exactly the skills to give Smith the target he's looking for. Smith and Maclin are going to make each other look very, very good.

Archived