Wide Gap Between Chiefs and Houston in Contract Talks

A person with knowledge of the situation told The Star on Friday that the Chiefs and outside linebacker Justin Houston “are far apart” on a contract extension.

Houston, 25, will make $1.4 million this season on the final year of his four-year rookie contract. He skipped the entirety of the Chiefs’ offseason training activities, though he reported for training camp on time.

At that time, there seemed to be a general sense of optimism regarding the chances of getting a deal done.

“There’s a premium on rushing the passer,” Chiefs general manager John Dorsey said during training camp. “I think everybody understands he’s a really good young football player.”

But there now appear to be doubts, though there’s still plenty of time between now and the next offseason to get a new contract done.

Tamba Hali’s five-year, $55 million extension should be considered a starting point in the negotiations, but it probably wouldn’t hurt if one of the other elite young pass rushers who are also seeking new deals —including Houston’s J.J. Watt and St. Louis’ Robert Quinn — set the market first.

For instance, when Seattle’s Richard Sherman agreed to a four-year, $57 million extension this offseason, it set the cornerback market at $14 million per season. Considering pass rushers are more valuable than cornerbacks, the Watt- and Quinn-led group of pass rushers could be pushing for something upwards of $16 to 18 million per year.

At that point, it would be up to the Chiefs to decide if Houston, who has recorded 26 1/2 sacks the last three seasons, is worthy of that kind of deal. If not, they could decide to franchise tag him for healthy but not exorbitant sums the next two years — the franchise tag for linebackers this offseason was only $11.4 million.

Teams, however, are only allowed to tag one player per offseason, and after surrendering two valuable second-round picks for quarterback Alex Smith, the Chiefs might have an interesting decision to make they can’t agree to a deal with either player before free agency begins next March.

But it’s worth noting that the franchise tag for quarterbacks this offseason was a good $5 million higher than it was for linebackers, so it’s at least conceivable the Chiefs could opt to lock Houston in for 2015 at the lower rate and take their chances with Smith hitting the market.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest anti spammer

By signing Alex Smith to a 4 year extension first, the Chiefs can now use their franchise designation to keep Houston around KC for one more season. That makes sense to me. For all the press, Houston has yet to put together one complete season. He could be one of the best 3-4 OLB in the league. However, we don't currently have the money to pay him what he and his agent believes he is worth. 

2015, the Chiefs will have a little more money to spend than this year. The Chiefs currently rank near the top of the league in cap space for their 2016 season. 

The bigger issue for me is about Dee Ford. I currently do not see him as a suitable replacement for either Houston or Hali. 

agreed. I think we'll see Houston getting tagged. Also much to Mongo's displeasure well see Berry hit the FA market.

Dee Ford was a 1 trick pony  anybody that had seen him play could see that. He has a year to learn other tricks. IF Dee Ford becomes a bust then Dorsey's future needs to be in doubt.

Letting berry walk would be a pure disaster and the final straw.

the final straw for what? He's not a game changer his cap hit was $11 mil last year this year $8.3 Mil. He averaged $8 mil a year. He's not going to come any cheaper so unless Sutton finds a scheme that utilizes him to his fullest potential he aint worth it. He'll want Earl Thomas type $$ and thats $10 mil a year with about $30 mil guaranteed.

2016 might find he & Sutton gone bye bye.. they'll have to be a sacrificial lamb(s) somewhere for a sub 500 season and it wont be Alex nor Jamal. Maybe just maybe by letting Tamba go they will afford Eric next year but  your back field is only as good as your pass rush. Dee Ford's performance will have a great impact on that decision. 

It's the position they have him in. He should play over the top. 3 pro bowls in 3 years. LAST STRAW OF STUPID MISTAKES

Pro Bowls really are not much of a measuring stick. It is a popularity & a name recognition game. Its like 1000 yrd seasons for RB's and 3000 yrd seasons for QB's..now if he made All Pro  that might be a feather to crow about.

I'm not going to debate on what type of scheme he should be in because I dont know but what I do know is that he was drafted to be another Ed Reed or Polomalu (sp?). He was drafted to shut down the other teams stud TE's ..in those he has failed.

I think it comes down to one question:

Is he in the box because he is not a ball hawk?

I don't know the answer, but he hasn't had the numbers a Pro Bowl safety or LB should have. Could be Sutton could be Berry. Either way, he has not been as much of an impact as his rep would suggest.

I think it comes down to one question:

Is he in the box because he is not a ball hawk?

I don't know the answer, but he hasn't had the numbers a Pro Bowl safety or LB should have. Could be Sutton could be Berry. Either way, he has not been as much of an impact as his rep would suggest.

Whose numbers are you comparing him too?  If all safeties, look again.  He was at or near the top in all categories for strong safeties -- including INT (3, second amongst SS).  He was an absolute ballhawk in college playing FS and would be so again if they were smart enough to play him there.  Instead someone has chosen to play him in the box and he still has excelled.  Some idiot thinks he should play LB in the nickel and dime.  Guess what?  He led safeties in sacks and QB hurries. He still had two TD last year. 

Difference maker?  You bet.

Eric Berry was PFF #2 safety last season.  He was on the player's top 100.  He's made Pro Bowls.  He's a stud in Madden for Christ's sake.  Any GM with half of a brain would kill to have him.

The whole world recognizes Eric Berry as a premier player except where he plays.  Unbelievable.  The reason?  He doesn't get Ed Reed-ish 8 INT and/or he had a bad showing or two versus a TE.  Throw the damned baby out with the bath water!

Alex Smith can go dormant for an entire half of a playoff game and no one raises an eyebrow because he's "done enough".  I don't understand you people.

Archived