Bowe signs with Browns

I like Bowe, and wish him well. He was not a bad person in Kansas City. He was very good to the fans. He said something stupid once. Well, haven't we all? He smoked some pot with his buds, who brought it back on their private plane from California. Does that make him a terrible person? I had my wild and exploratory times when I was young and somewhat dumber. Of course, being dumber at a young age does not equate to a low IQ. I have NEVER been accused of that. I was lucky. 

Bowe replies to my tweets. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy, and someone I would like to meet. I will tweet him a congratulatory tweet, and wish him well. 

Guest Chieftain

I liked Bowe. He wasn't perfect, he definitely had his flaws. He was good though, in my opinion. Best WR KC has drafted in a LONG TIME. Best of luck to him in Cleveland. I'll never forget the game against San Diego in San Diego in I believe 2008, Bowe caught close to 100 yards in that game, anyways, the Chiefs won. Chief legend IMO, in his hay day.

Not a winner. Not a big time big play guy. Lazy. Nice guys finish last. Took up lots of cap money and defined slacker. Good Riddance. Go play in Cleve you fit in perfectly. Low Expectations and low standards defines Cleveland and Bowe.

I wonder if Cleveland has a QB capable of throwing a TD pass to a WR?

Sure. And if their tight ends and runningbacks together register 0 receiving touchdowns next season, and if on top of that their quarterbacks throw a lesser number of touchdowns combined than Alex Smith threw in 15 starts last year, people will be all over how much better the Browns' quarterbacks are than the Chiefs'.

NFL scouts are smart enough to see through statistically depressed numbers and to recognize when a receiver's lack of production is the receiver's responsibility. There wasn't a big market for Bowe, and Bowe was forced to look to the highest remaining bidder. There's no surprise that that team ended up being the Browns. The sad thing is that I thought that Bowe wanted to win a championship. I don't recall that Cleveland is a great place to go to when one wants to revive their career.

In any case, when a team's receiver corps is in bad shape and its WR1 gets replaced one-for-one as the Chiefs did by signing Maclin to do Bowe's job, and then hardly anyone in the league is lining up to attract the spurned receiver, it should tell you everything you need to know about the quality of the receiver corps that Smith had to work with in 2014. No blocking, and no receiving. It seems that the Chiefs are well on their way to fixing both problems. It's hard to imagine that the Browns have solved their receiver problem.

I wish Bowe the best. He was overrated, and a little bit of a numbskull, but I don't recall that he was a jerk.

#Browns WR Dwayne Bowe base salaries are: $2.65M (2015), $6.15M (2016). Don't know what his guaranteed money yet.

Chiefs obviously didn't want him back even at a reduced rate

Bowe would not have wanted to stay if he was publicly relegated to WR2 when he thinks he is still a WR1. Even so, the Chiefs seemed to want him off the books by the end of 2016 at the latest, and they would not have been able to do this while paying Bowe his outstanding $9 million in signing bonus as well as the two above-listed base salaries and likely-accompanying bonuses associated with the new contract.

I hate seeing the Chiefs with a $20 million dead money hit this year, but it's so much better this way. The Chiefs are looking to be highly competitive this year, while their cap situation in 2016 suggests the ability to aggressively sign any missing pieces that could set the Chiefs as AFC Champion favorites.

Archived