Mugsy Mock 3/21/15

kevin-johnson.jpg

1. (From Philadelphia) Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest

Philadelphia gives us their first and third round picks to get ahead of Cleveland and draft Mariotta. I think Mariotta will fall that far and I think Kelly would be willing to move up a couple of spots to get him. 

Dorsey obviously places a lot of value on the corner position. He has brought in Cooper, Parker, Flemming, Owens, Smith, Robinson and Gaines since he has been here. Owens and Flowers were alright as nickel backs but, a guy like Johnson could really shore it up. I think it's safe to say that Dorsey has yet to find the nickel back he wants. Also consider how much teams line up in the nickel package in the current NFL. This pick makes sense. Johnson has proven he can play inside. He is built perfectly to cover slot receivers such as Emmanuel Sanders and Eddie Royal. He would be a nice compliment to our defense.

Last, if the trend continues, Dorsey will take a position of future need in the first round. He took Fisher just before Albert played his last season in KC. He took Ford under the same circumstances with Houston. Next year, Smith, DJ, Poe, Hali, and Houston will all be free agents. Cornerback would be the best value of those positions at #20.

tyler-lockett-ncaa-football-kansas-state

2. Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State

Lockett is the prototype NFL slot receiver. He has a ton of speed and is an excellent route runner. Furthermore, he has publicly stated he wants to be a Chief. I have a good feeling about this one. Maybe we over draft him a little bit but, I don't think Dorsey or Reid care. Lockett will be a second round target on draft day imo. I think Wilson will start outside and Lockett will compete to start in the slot from day one.

justinhardy623x353.gif

3.  Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina

Hardy is a perfect route runner and might have the best hands in the draft. He is a younger version of Avant at the least. He will compete with Lockett to start in the slot and I think he has the potential to start outside. If he makes it this far, he could be the steal of the draft imo.

Cedric-Ogbuehi-Texas-AM.jpg

3. (From Philadelphia) Cedric Ogbuhei, OT, Texas A&M

This is a luxury pick and I think Dorsey will use it as one. Ogbugei would have probably gone in the first round if he hadn't gotten hurt. He has the potential to play LT. He might be the only player in this draft class that can play LT at the next level. We basically let him "red shirt" or sit out and heal  in 2015. In 2016, he competes as a starter at OT.

6_719818.jpg

3. (Comp. Pick) Donovan Smith, OT, Penn State

Solid player that could develop into a swing tackle. He's a quiet technician with really good feet. 

web1_SHAQ-1.jpg

4. Shaq Mason, OG/OC, Georgia Tech

Only reason he's not going earlier is because he played in an option offense.

1258L.jpg

5. (Comp. Pick) Kyle Emmanuel, OLB, North Dakota State

Very raw player who's stock is on the rise. He has a quick first step and will excel on special teams at the least.

6ccdf4b86f15b090fbd213ae28d6d8ea.jpg

5. (Comp. Pick) Nick Boyle, TE, Delaware

Best all around TE in this draft imo. He is probably the second best blocker but he is also a very good route runner and has nice hands.

B8JPNlaIIAE_0D3.jpg

6. Ladarius Gunter, CB, Miami

Big CB that packs a punch. Played great at the senior bowl. Not the fastest player but, will be a stand out on special teams. Has the potential to convert to safety.

JRob-graphic-650x342.jpg

7. Josh Robinson, RB, Mississippi State

Big banger back with soft hands. Might have the best hands of all running backs in this class. He is also a good blocker.  

7. (Comp. Pick) Shane Carden, QB, East Carolina

Dorsey will draft a QB like Ted Thompson taught him to. Carden reminds me a little of Favre mixed with Alex Smith. He can get away and he's not afraid to sling it. He'll stand in there and take hits every time. He's one tough SOB.  He's a longshot but, he's a play maker and he's got a lot of spunk. Don't count him out.

I took Johnson with the 16th overall pick at the Planet's mock draft. I think of him very highly.

I don't mind the rest of it either except for maybe Emmanuel. I love him as a player but I think he has like 31" arms so no way Dorsey drafts him.

thanks Mugsy..

nice effort... I've always enjoyed reading the thoughts of other members of our little coalition...

this is an exciting time in this teams recent history..this third year will show the direction in which this regime is heading..

if a few things break right we could see this team really take off..

I've stated before that I am a big Kevin Johnson fan.  I've also stated that I am not a Justin Hardy fan. 

I think Lockett can be had in the 3rd.

Overall, it's a fairly solid mock.

And, who knows where any on these guys will go.

I think I'm with Semo here. Like the corner, not that big on hardy. Not against lockett but I agree it's too high for him. I'd be okay with it.

Honestly though, I think we take an offensive or defensive lineman in the first.

Reid loves him some first round linemen. That also might be where the value is.

Ogbuhei has no punch. Pillow hands.

Kinda doubt Smith falls to 98. Probably gone before 80 unfortunately... like him a lot.

Mason is my favorite lineman in the class, regardless of position. Explosive, WOW blocks all over his tape. FUN player.

Have a pretty hard time seeing no ILB.

I had a MLB in my last mock but, Dorsey re-signed Mauga and as far as talent goes, he's along the lines of Jordan and Mays. It's possible he will look for DJ's replacement? However, he would have to do it in the first two days and I don't think he will. MLB isn't very deep imo.

I would love to get Lockett in the 3rd but, I think we'll take him in the second. He'll be gone before we pick in the 3rd and I think we will really want him. 

Why all the love for Lockett?  Yeah, he's good and locally popular but the Chiefs have Wilson and DAT.  How many smaller guys do they need at WR?  Plus, you added Hardy. The second is just to high for Lockett when the Chiefs should find value at ILB or CB there and get a compliment to Macklin in the third.

Why all the love for Lockett?  Yeah, he's good and locally popular but the Chiefs have Wilson and DAT.  How many smaller guys do they need at WR?  Plus, you added Hardy. The second is just to high for Lockett when the Chiefs should find value at ILB or CB there and get a compliment to Macklin in the third.

Lockett looks good to me. He's a second round to early third rounder imo. Also, I think you guys are reading too much into the small thing. Hardy is not small at 5'10" imo. You don't have to be tall to get open and catch the ball. 

FYI, six of the top ten leading receivers in receptions last year were under six foot tall. 

#1 Antonio Brown

#4 Emmanuel Sanders

#5 Golden Tate

#7 Julian Edelman

#8 Odell Beckham Jr.

#9 Randall Cobb

Six of the top ten leading receivers in yards were under six feet tall.

#1 Antonio Brown

#5 Emmanuel Sanders

#6 T.Y. Hilton

#7 Golden Tate

#9 Jeremy Maclin

#10 Odell Beckham Jr.

Every one of these guys were 5'10" or 5'11." We need to find a good receiver no matter what. We need to double or even triple down imo. I don't care how tall he is.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&season=2014&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=0&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Yep Mugs, and I put together a rather lengthy synopsis of success in the NFL and height of receivers. People think you need big receivers and all that. Fact is, you need receivers that fit the offense, and most of all get open and catch the football when it comes to them.

Yep Mugs, and I put together a rather lengthy synopsis of success in the NFL and height of receivers. People think you need big receivers and all that. Fact is, you need receivers that fit the offense, and most of all get open and catch the football when it comes to them.

Yep, Height is definitely overrated.

your list is a joke mugs. With the exception of edelman, who was a 7th round pick, every guy on that list runs about a 4.4 or faster. Golden tate is the slowest one and he ran a 4.46.

You can be short but you can't be slow and short.

Hardy isn't quick or super fast. that says late rounds to me.

Seeing a lot of articles about the chiefs and mariota.

I'd much rather have Mariota than Geno Smith and if this had been 2013, I'd probably pick Winston over Mariota, though I like Mariota more. If he falls to 18, I think we'd pick him, but it would cost a lot to trade up.

I'd much rather have Mariota than Geno Smith and if this had been 2013, I'd probably pick Winston over Mariota, though I like Mariota more. If he falls to 18, I think we'd pick him, but it would cost a lot to trade up.

I think he will fall but I don't think we'll take him. We are in position to make a real run. We aren't taking a project player at #18. 

your list is a joke mugs. With the exception of edelman, who was a 7th round pick, every guy on that list runs about a 4.4 or faster. Golden tate is the slowest one and he ran a 4.46.

You can be short but you can't be slow and short.

Hardy isn't quick or super fast. that says late rounds to me.

Sorry man but, you're wrong. Antonio Brown ran a 4.57 at the combine and he was #1 in yards and receptions last year. Hardy ran faster at the combine. I do not understand how you guys can say he can't get open when he took the number one corner in the college football to school? Vernon Hargreaves is a top 10 pick next year and he's better than any CB in this year's or last year's draft classes. Dude will probably run a 4.3 forty too. Call me crazy but, before it's all said and done I think Hardy could go in the first or second round. 

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/25779/antonio-brown

Look at the 3 cone comparison. That's one of the main things I look for in a possession receiver.

Brown 6.98

Sanders 6.64

Tate 7.12

Edelman 6.62

Beckham Jr. 6.69

Cobb 7.08

Hilton 7.03

Maclin 7.06

Justin Hardy 6.63

He will get open.

Archived