Chiefs 1st Round Draft Pick Prediction 2015

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say it will be UCLA ILB Eric Kendricks 6'0" 230lbs, Andy Reid draft his brother in 2012, so it just makes since and it's a position of need. ;)

This regime fills its positions of need by FA. It picks BPA in the draft at every round.  So, I would disagree.  I am more in line with Warpaint, with Collins.  But whoever grades out the highest when we get to draft will be picked, regardless of need.  That is how you strengthen the overall roster over the long term.  I agree with Dorsey and Reid's philosophy.

The guys I see potentially available and high on Dorsey's list:

OT Ereck Flowers, Miami

CB Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest

OC Cameron Erving, Florida State

DT Eddie Goldman, Florida State

OT La'el Collins - Louisiana State

SS Landon Collins - Alabama

The guys I see potentially available and high on Dorsey's list:

OT Ereck Flowers, Miami

CB Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest

OC Cameron Erving, Florida State

DT Eddie Goldman, Florida State

OT La'el Collins - Louisiana State

SS Landon Collins - Alabama

Unless the Chiefs trade down, I think Goldman would be a reach and the Chiefs don't need to do that for a DT.  Same with Erving.  It would be really surprising to see Erving go that early.

BPA is the right answer...but for the sake of discussion let us pick who we think that would be. I'm going to go with Flowers or Collins. Whichever of those two they value more...assuming they are both there for the picking.

The Oline was a train wreck and to say they "addressed" it via free agency is not true. They picked up an aging Grubbs who is coming off a fairly poor season and they got Fanaika who ranked #71 out of 78 offensive guards last year according to ProFootball Focus. Now whereas I do believe these two are still an upgrade over McSpin and Stinkenbach (shows just how bad it was)...they don't scream "you are set for the foreseeable future".

Andy is gonna want some quality young studs to develop. Don't know he has that with the roster now. So Flowers or Collins. Collins seems to have a little more Oline versatility so leaning that way.

OK, then. I'll bite, even though Grubbs is mid career and consistently very good, and even though having Maclin will improve the O-line by keeping a safety back, and even though Fulton will no longer be a rookie, and even though Fisher will be coming into his best years and be better, Andy does like linemen. In that case he is hoping Kush will be good. But he doesn't really know. So he will have Dorsey draft a strong center prospect. But if Collins is BPA, then yes. Collins.

BPA all the way. No immediate needs will be addressed in the draft.

Here are the guys I think are possible in no particular order for pick #18:

Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest - Shores up Nickel defense and starts in place of Sean Smith next year.

Landon Collins, S, Alabama - It's a bad safety class imo. Starts at SS immediately and doesn't look back. If Berry comes back, he'll play a situational role this year and move to FS next year. I think he may lose some muscle mass and won't come back the thumper he once was. However, I do believe he'll be back. 

Jalen Strong, WR, Arizona State - His style is exactly what Alex loves in a receiver. He consistently catches balls thrown away from the defender. Nobody catches the ball off the back shoulder like Strong. He's not my favorite player but he makes a lot of sense when you consider how we operate.

Doriel Green-Beckham, WR, Missouri - Top five prospect at #18 in our biggest position of need? We got a guy who knows him and can mentor him in Maclin. We are close to making a real run. All signs this off season have pointed to Dorsey going all in. This is a real possibility.

Cameron Erving, OC/OT, FSU - Versatile linemen that fills a need. He's worthy of going at #18 imo.

La'el Collins, OT/OG,  LSU - Could start at RT or guard. Another versatile guy.

Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami - Doesn't looks as versatile to me but could start at RT. He's the best pass blocker of the three imo.

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia - He might be the BPA if we truly go that route. If he stays healthy he will be as good as Marshawn Lynch.

Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin - Might be BPA. Looks like Charles when he runs. 

Wildcards

If Bud Dupree, DE/OLB, Kentucky or Danny Shelton, DT, Washington somehow fall to us, they could definately be the pick. Someone always falls. Will it be one of them?

Here are the guys I think are possible in no particular order for pick #18:

Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest - Shores up Nickel defense and starts in place of Sean Smith next year.

Landon Collins, S, Alabama - It's a bad safety class imo. Starts at SS immediately and doesn't look back. If Berry comes back, he'll play a situational role this year and move to FS next year. I think he may lose some muscle mass and won't come back the thumper he once was. However, I do believe he'll be back. 

Jalen Strong, WR, Arizona State - His style is exactly what Alex loves in a receiver. He consistently catches balls thrown away from the defender. Nobody catches the ball off the back shoulder like Strong. He's not my favorite player but he makes a lot of sense when you consider how we operate.

Doriel Green-Beckham, WR, Missouri - Top five prospect at #18 in our biggest position of need? We got a guy who knows him and can mentor him in Maclin. We are close to making a real run. All signs this off season have pointed to Dorsey going all in. This is a real possibility.

Cameron Erving, OC/OT, FSU - Versatile linemen that fills a need. He's worthy of going at #18 imo.

La'el Collins, OT/OG,  LSU - Could start at RT or guard. Another versatile guy.

Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami - Doesn't looks as versatile to me but could start at RT. He's the best pass blocker of the three imo.

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia - He might be the BPA if we truly go that route. If he stays healthy he will be as good as Marshawn Lynch.

Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin - Might be BPA. Looks like Charles when he runs. 

Wildcards

If Bud Dupree, DE/OLB, Kentucky or Danny Shelton, DT, Washington somehow fall to us, they could definately be the pick. Someone always falls. Will it be one of them?

Great list, except for Beckham-Green.  That guy is  an emotional  disaster-in-waiting, will probably end up in jail at some point. A volcano.   Not a Chiefs type guy.  He would never mesh.

We are all thinking the same thing I believe. Chiefs could go a lot of different directions and there are fans that will love the pick and fans that will hate it. Go with the lines and fans will scream "We need an impact playmaker!" Go with a WR and some fans will scream "We need to protect our quarterback". This is going to be one of those drafts I feel where there is such a divided opinion on who KC should get. We won't all be dancing in the aisles and going "Wow! That's exactly who I wanted the Chiefs to take!" Only twice in recent history have I been truly excited about KC's 1st round pick....Derrick Johnson and Eric Berry.

We are all thinking the same thing I believe. Chiefs could go a lot of different directions and there are fans that will love the pick and fans that will hate it. Go with the lines and fans will scream "We need an impact playmaker!" Go with a WR and some fans will scream "We need to protect our quarterback". This is going to be one of those drafts I feel where there is such a divided opinion on who KC should get. We won't all be dancing in the aisles and going "Wow! That's exactly who I wanted the Chiefs to take!" Only twice in recent history have I been truly excited about KC's 1st round pick....Derrick Johnson and Eric Berry.

Exactly.  Boy, you were right about Johnson and Berry.  Maybe that is because it is a bit easier to see right away who is going to be a big impact on defense than on offense.  The latter depends so much on the system and the QB.  I probably would be most excited about a can't miss, blue chip CB.

Marcus Peters

Actually that is not his name. To be accurate, it is M ar cus Peters. I have no idea what that means. 

This from NFL Profile, lest you think I came up with it myself

Suspended for one game in 2014 by head coach Chris Petersen for a sideline tantrum that followed personal foul penalty. Was ultimately dismissed from team over multiple run-ins with coaching staff. Inconsistent with footwork and loose with technique. Lacks patience in press and will open up early. Grabby off line of scrimmage and downfield when beaten. Average mirror-and-match and long speed. Overly emotional and prone to mental mistakes because of it. Slower than expected to squeeze routes in space. Doesn't take coaching.

Sounds like a wiener to me. 

Great list, except for Beckham-Green.  That guy is  an emotional  disaster-in-waiting, will probably end up in jail at some point. A volcano.   Not a Chiefs type guy.  He would never mesh.

DGB is from my home town, and i can tell you the kid was brought up right.  he was an 18 year old kid who made some bad choices.  We all made bad choices when we were 18-19-30.  I have no doubt that DGB could be a good pro, and has the right upbringing to get his act together!

Archived