Chiefs 1st Round Draft Pick Prediction 2015

DGB is from my home town, and i can tell you the kid was brought up right.  he was an 18 year old kid who made some bad choices.  We all made bad choices when we were 18-19-30.  I have no doubt that DGB could be a good pro, and has the right upbringing to get his act together!

I'm all for knowing as much as possible about the personality of any potential draftees.  My opinion is based only on what I have read, and it wasn't good.  So, you have a reasonable point.  I would point out, though, that being from his hometown means nothing.  There are tens of thousands of people from my town who I have never met and don't know shit about, nor would I believe any accolades about any of them coming from my "home town" newspaper columnists or college sports colunnists.  One thing is sure.  I trust that the Chiefs staff will do their homework properly, because they are the ones taking a big performance and money risk on any first round draft choice.  Taking a risk for someone who is a good athlete "might" pay off.  But if it doesn't, and that person is lost to a problematic behavior pattern, then those scouts and front office people lose their own jobs.  I trust they have the motivation to be very cautious.  Also, being "brought up right" does not necessarily correlate with anything good.  The term means nothing. To some people, that means that he received tough discipline, including physical punishments.  To others, it means he was treated kindly and encouraged in his education and behavior patterns.  In either case, he could have ADHD or a personality disorder unrelated to his upbringing.  The only thing that counts is one's own behavior and choices.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a surefire prediction regarding the Chiefs 1st round pick in the upcoming draft. Regardless of who the pick is...Pete Prisco over at CBS Sports will not give it a grade higher than a C+. Last year he gave the Chiefs an overall grade of C+ (worst grade in the division) but gave the Jaguars an A..Tampa Bay a B+. Look at how they helped themselves?

Oh wait...he gave us a B grade for Fisher.

I'll puke if its DGB. I wouldn't have him as a round 1 talent if he didn't have all the garbage surrounding him. Maybe I'd be wrong like I once was on Poe. These things don't happen often in the same decade though. :D

Ryan, I don't think Marcus Peters is going to be on the 1st round radar either, but you never know. I fully suspect Dorsey is looking at both of these guys as potential guys that could slip to the mid-2nd and be better bargains compared to risks.

Looking at my next mock and it might start as:

1. E. Flowers, RT - I really think with the way that Reid is about having a good offensive line, that he's going to push this.

2. D. Smith, WR  - Gotta have a deep threat opposite Maclin

3. R. Darby, CB - A groom to start player similar to Gaines.

Marcus Peters

Peters is REALLY arrogant and REALLY dumb. You would change your mind if you saw an interview. I know I did.

I'll puke if its DGB. I wouldn't have him as a round 1 talent if he didn't have all the garbage surrounding him. Maybe I'd be wrong like I once was on Poe. These things don't happen often in the same decade though. :D

If DGB stayed in school and kept his nose clean he would be the consensus #1 overall pick next year. Every single one of the talking heads has said this.

I believe there is a serious chance we take him. I am thinking like 50%. We signed Maclin to mentor him, we got rid of Bowe who is a bad influence, and all off season moves have screamed "make a run now." Maclin knows him well. He spent a lot of time at Mizzou games during the year he spent on IR. His opinion will matter.

They will look at what the Cowboys have done with Dez Bryant. Andy will think about T.O. and the only Superbowl he got to. Also, consider that the best player on our roster had character issues.

Houston was projected to go late first round before he got in trouble at the combine. He dropped to the third. DGB is a top ten talent. When you look at the draft pick value chart, note the difference between where each should have gone and where they actually went (or where I am projecting them to go - DGB at #18) are about the same. In other words, if we took DGB, the value of the Houston and DGB picks would be about the same. Each would be about 400 points cheaper on that chart. Last, look at the similar talents who got in trouble. Dez Bryant went at 24. Randy Moss went at 21. 

If I were going to place a bet on who the Chiefs draft, I would put it on DGB. He is the type of player that would be the difference in us making the playoffs and a Super Bowl run.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

Actually that is not his name. To be accurate, it is M ar cus Peters. I have no idea what that means. 

This from NFL Profile, lest you think I came up with it myself

Suspended for one game in 2014 by head coach Chris Petersen for a sideline tantrum that followed personal foul penalty. Was ultimately dismissed from team over multiple run-ins with coaching staff. Inconsistent with footwork and loose with technique. Lacks patience in press and will open up early. Grabby off line of scrimmage and downfield when beaten. Average mirror-and-match and long speed. Overly emotional and prone to mental mistakes because of it. Slower than expected to squeeze routes in space. Doesn't take coaching.

Sounds like a wiener to me. 

:lol:

Not advocating this because I don't know shit about draft picks, value, etc., but I read this idea and wanted to share:

Trade #1:
Cowboys get:

Chiefs get:
1st
2nd

Trade #2:
Packers get::
Both 2nds

Chiefs get:
1st

Now we have two 1st rounders and didn't give up any picks.

Not advocating this because I don't know shit about draft picks, value, etc., but I read this idea and wanted to share:

Trade #1:

Cowboys get:

Chiefs get:

1st

2nd

Trade #2:

Both 2nds

Chiefs get:

1st

we gave up our two 2nds...

Trade #1:

Cowboys get:

Chiefs get:

1st

2nd

Trade #2:

Both 2nds

Chiefs get:

1st

This works in Madden.

My questions are: Who can still be found between picks 27 and 30 that the Chiefs would want, at pick 18 about whom the Cowboys believe wouldn't fall farther, and at picks 49 and 60 that the Packers believe would bring on better value than with their natural 30?

First round picks are more valuable than they used to be (according to the strength of the draft, of course). I strongly believe that the Vikings traded for the 32nd overall pick last year so that they could draft Teddy Bridgewater late and yet still get the fifth-year option on his contract. The Packers aren't going to give up a late first-round pick for a couple late second-round picks.

As it stands right now the Chiefs could arguably line up and play a game with their current roster. This is the same way it was 2 years ago after free agency. I guess you have to look at the players they have talked to at the combine to get an idea of who they might draft this year. And look at the older players on the roster whose age and contract status are a factor. I see mlb, cornerback and defensive end as possibles based on age. And wide receivers and online as needs. So.. I have no idea other than those observations.

To the original thread question, I am still on board for an O-lineman.  Collins would be my first choice, but Flowers wouldn't be a disappointment.  Some on this forum have been very convincing that Flowers would be a better choice.  CB is a need, but there's no Dale Carter type athlete in this draft and ILB would be a reach.  The top three WRs will be gone by #18 and that position is deep enough to find a compliment to Macklin later.  That leaves OT as the best value in my book.

People like to compare DGB to Randy Moss. Moss was taken 21st in the first round of the 1998 draft. That was the same draft that had Manning taken first over Leaf. Oakland took Charles Woodson #4, and Greg Ellis went to Dallas at #8 in that same draft. Fred Taylor, Keith Brooking, and Tra Thomas all went before Moss, but they were all very good players. Randy Moss dropped below a number of players because of concerns over his off the field issues. So some compare DGB with character issues with Moss, who also had character issues. 

Lets look at the facts. 

1. Moss' character issues were significant. He was put in jail for drug use and battery charges before he went to college. Moss also no-showed at the combine. The speculation was it was to avoid being tested for drugs. Moss went to FSU as a last resort after being overlooked by ND due to his problems. Moss was redshirted at FSU his freshman year, and kicked off the team. Moss practiced with Florida State while on work release from a 30 day jail sentence. He tested for marijuana during this period, and was dismissed from FSU. Moss served a 60 day sentence in jail as a result. He went to Marshall, and played two seasons. Surprisingly, he did not forfeit a year. 

2. DGB's character issues did not come to the forefront until he was in college. Drug issues (pot), domestic violence, and maturity problems caused Missouri coach Pinkel to give up on his talented receiver. Pinkel sited "other" issues that were not released to the public. We do not know exactly how bad those issues were, because other than those things that made it to the public, some were never released. 

3. Moss was a terrific athlete, and posted huge numbers in college. Despite missing all of preseason practice due to his incarceration, Moss caught 28 touchdown passes, which tied Jerry Rice's record. He averaged 34 yards per kickoff return (612 yards), and had 1709 receiving yards on 78 catches. Moss finished his sophomore season with 26 touchdown catches on 96 receptions yielding 1820 yards. Randy Rice left college after his sophomore year to enter the NFL.

4. DGB was a good athlete, and posted decent numbers in college. In two seasons, DGB caught 87 passes for a total of 1278 yards

Stop, let's compare those two years for each. Moss had 174 receptions to DGB 87. Moss had 3529 yards receiving to 1278 for DGB. Also, Moss had 1146 yards running back punt and kickoff returns. DGB did not do this in college. So, clearly DGB's stats do not stack up to Randy Moss. 

5. Height and weight - Moss 6'4" and 210 lbs. DGB 6'5" and 237 lbs. DGB is bigger receiver. 

6. Speed. Randy Rice ran a 4.25 40 at FSU. He skipped the combine. He duplicated the 4.25 40 at the Pro Day.

7. Speed. DGB ran a 4.49 40 at the combine. As amazing as that was, his 10 and 20 were slow. Most of his speed came in the final 20. 

8. Randy Moss recorded a 51 inch vertical leap and also a 47 inch vertical leap. 

9. DGB recorded a 33.5 inch vertical leap at the combine.

10. Handsize - DGB has adequate hands at 9" in length. Randy Moss' hands were much bigger. 

Summation. Randy Moss was a mess going into the NFL, but worth being a 1st round selection. DGB is probably not quite the mess as Randy Moss, but clearly has issues. DGB is not even close to the athletic level as Moss, and his production in college pales in comparison. Therefore, DGB is NOT a 1st round receiver. The most I would give up would be a 2nd round pick. 

For every one like Moss there are five who never made it or ended up incarcerated. DGB might end up a star. But he pushed a woman down the stairs. He was kicked off the team and didn't play last year. He is sullen, does not seem intetested or willing to learn, and does not like to be coached. Do you really want to take chance on THAT? I don't. We should not take him in any round. I don't care if he is 7 feet tall, runs a 4.10 dash, can leap 10 feet high and weighs 250. HE is a cancer in waiting. A team chemistry destroyer.

For every one like Moss there are five who never made it or ended up incarcerated. DGB might end up a star. But he pushed a woman down the stairs. He was kicked off the team and didn't play last year. He is sullen, does not seem intetested or willing to learn, and does not like to be coached. Do you really want to take chance on THAT? I don't. We should not take him in any round. I don't care if he is 7 feet tall, runs a 4.10 dash, can leap 10 feet high and weighs 250. HE is a cancer in waiting. A team chemistry destroyer.

Moss was significantly more gifted athletically, and had nearly FOUR time the production in the same two years of college. Still, Moss, despite his incredible talent, nearly tore the Vikings apart. He played only on downs he was going to get the ball. He was incredibly selfish, and had played out his welcome after a tumultuous 7 year stint with the Vikings. He was only able to be successful under the stern guidance of Bill Belichick. After leaving NE, he was done. 

If you are going to put up with that kind of crap, he better be as good as Randy Moss. As shown earlier, DGB isn't even close. 

You're right.  What people in the media, and apparently some on this forum, don't get is that the Chiefs specifically avoid character and behavior problem players, because team chemistry is highly valued. It is not always successful and may have hurt us a few times get some really good players.  But overall, it is what made us different from the Raiders.  We hate them for a reason.

Say we draft him, and he is unstoppable.  We end up beating teams 50-3 most of the season.  Meanwhile, our other receivers don't get the reps they need.  Then, late in the season, when nerves are frayed and the big game with Denver is coming up for the division, DGB does something that gets him suspended either by the team or by the league for three games.  His loss, and the distraction kills our chances for a title.  I don't care about winning 50-3 in games we should win anyway.  I care about a title and everyone working together for that goal.  Dorsey and Reid are too smart to draft this guy.  These media folks think we are too stupid to get this.  But they don't live in KC, and all they want to do is cream their jeans watching this guy leap for touchdowns no one else can bring down and write about it and splash it all over their sports magazines. 

BPA at pick #18 might be a RB, so do we go with Gordon or Gurley instead of a position of need.

I'd say yes. If they are honest that you build a roster using the draft, then that is what they should do. Immediate needs are filled by FA. Otherwise, they are lying to us. Realistically, I think they fill needs in later rounds of the draft. Every philosophy has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Moss was significantly more gifted athletically, and had nearly FOUR time the production in the same two years of college. Still, Moss, despite his incredible talent, nearly tore the Vikings apart. He played only on downs he was going to get the ball. He was incredibly selfish, and had played out his welcome after a tumultuous 7 year stint with the Vikings. He was only able to be successful under the stern guidance of Bill Belichick. After leaving NE, he was done.

If you are going to put up with that kind of crap, he better be as good as Randy Moss. As shown earlier, DGB isn't even close.

I don't think the production should even be compared. Moss played at Marshall against MUCH inferior corners and had a much better QB throwing to him. DGB played against SEC corners.

Moss was an asshat and still is, and was a locker room disruption. I don't know where Bil got his info but I have never heard anything negative about DGB's locker room or on-field demeanor.

Not in any way saying that he should our pick at 18. But, he is a first round talent. That is not even debateable. His off-field behavior might keep him out of round 1. It wont be his talent.

The guy didn't "make mistakes" as he claims.  That sounds like something you do on an exam.  No, he smashed his way into someone's apartment and then pushed a woman down a flight of stairs who was trying to get between him and his "girlfriend."  His problem is a hair-trigger temper and emotional lability. He is another domestic violence incident waiting to happen, another Ray Rice.  I don't fault him for smoking or possessing pot, but after getting arrested for that, he ignored the consequences and got arrested again for it a year later.  He is a young man who is not in control of his emotions. He didn't make cerebral "mistakes."  He has emotional problems.  Our team doesn't need that kind of mojo or that kind of risk.  Plus, he sucks as a route runner and would not even be allowed to play much for at least a year.  Let some other smart, but not very wise, GM take on these problems. Even if he fell to us, I would be totally astonished if a guy like Dorsey took him, even if Reid might. I am sure Reid would drool over the possibility on the field. And Reid has faith in his own ability to handle kids and help them mature.  Too much faith IMO. He cannot get a kid to grow out of emotional problems.  That takes major counseling.

Archived