Chiefs 1st Round Draft Pick Prediction 2015

Guest formerdb

The Chiefs will not draft an OT when they have two capable tackles in the mix already.

I see center or CB as the first pick.

Those are the two positions that have not been addressed in FA and where immediate bodies are needed.

Kush is and always will be a backup....CAMERON ERVING!

You build your team with an oline and center is the nucleus...the Chiefs don't have one and they can get a young premier center in the first round.  The team does have an impressive Jamell Fleming but still, another CB is needed.

If they go CB, maybe a cener in the 2nd but one of the two will go in the first based on my logic.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Btw I really like cam erving, but not a great value at 18. Actually not a great value for him or most of the corners at 18. I do agree that I think we can get more serviceable play out of the right tackles with what we have than center.

The Chiefs will not draft an OT when they have two capable tackles in the mix already.

I see center or CB as the first pick.

Those are the two positions that have not been addressed in FA and where immediate bodies are needed.

Kush is and always will be a backup....CAMERON ERVING!

You build your team with an oline and center is the nucleus...the Chiefs don't have one and they can get a young premier center in the first round.  The team does have an impressive Jamell Fleming but still, another CB is needed.

If they go CB, maybe a cener in the 2nd but one of the two will go in the first based on my logic.

Remember Gaines? I thought he was considered an up and coming CB, though his loss on ST would be missed. You may be right about Erving.  Depends on how he is grading out by the Chiefs staff.

I think the Chiefs have a pretty decent team right now. Yes the offensive line needs to get better. I think it already has gotten better just by letting McSpin and Stinkenbach go. You could put in the peanut guy and the beer guy from concessions and they probably could do better. I just feel Grubbs is going to have a bounce back type of year. He is a multi-Pro Bowler after all. Biggest concern is center. Chiefs will draft somebody to compete with Kush. Addressed the horrible WR debacle with Maclin but I was excited to see Wilson come on late and I think Avant still has gas. Again...we will draft a WR but it isn't mandatory it be in the 1st round. Cornerback? Smith has one side locked up. I think Gaines and Fleming make a pretty good tandem on the other side. Cooper is not a real option IMO.

We have guys coming back like Allen, Johnson, Devito, (Commings?)...it looks promising.

I say all that to say whoever the Chiefs pick, unless it's just a real reach project type of player, I will not be surprised. Just hope they get a guy who can step in and step up to help the Chiefs win the AFC West in 2015!!

Clemmings is a project. He has all of the tools, but we might be waiting longer than we have waited on Fisher for him to develop them.

I think Clemmings is a 2nd rounder at best.

I am not opposed to taking a project in the draft... just not in the first round. 

For the sake of hypotheticals..suppose the Chiefs did take a WR at #18. And suppose Cooper, White and Parker are all off the board. Who from this group would you be most comfortable with if the Chiefs picked him:

1. Dorial Green Beckham

2. Breshad Perriman

3. Devon Smith.

4. Jaelen Strong

5. Sammie Coates

6. Other

6.  Other  - Devante Parker.

Now that we have Maclin to stretch the field, we need a very physical X receiver with great body control who can out-muscle defenders in the middle of the field.  Because of his foot injury, which is not a big deal, he will likely be available to us in round 3. However, I know nothing about his character and work habits.

For the sake of hypotheticals..suppose the Chiefs did take a WR at #18. And suppose Cooper, White and Parker are all off the board. Who from this group would you be most comfortable with if the Chiefs picked him:

1. Dorial Green Beckham

2. Breshad Perriman

3. Devon Smith.

4. Jaelen Strong

5. Sammie Coates

6. Other

None of them.

1. Dorial Green Beckham

2. Breshad Perriman

3. Devon Smith.

4. Jaelen Strong

5. Sammie Coates

6. Other

Perriman

Sub 4.3 and the body.

He's rocketing up boards

1. Dorial Green Beckham

2. Breshad Perriman

3. Devon Smith.

4. Jaelen Strong

5. Sammie Coates

6. Other

If Cooper, White and Parker are all off the board, then the Chiefs should look at a different position for value.

Everyone will have a good laugh if the Chiefs let a Center from FSU leave in free agency only to replace him with another Center from FSU in the first round of the draft.

Yeah, I am really concerned about people laughing.  The truth is that the cap wouldn't allow us to keep Hudson.  But a good O-line is literally run by the center.  You have to have a good center to coordinate everyone.  If Erving is really good, he will be a lot cheaper than Hudson would have been for several years.

If the Chiefs were not a contender with an expensive payroll, we would have kept Hudson. I would rather be a contender and try to outrun the escalating costs through good drafting.  Its just the way it is.

Sorry, Cali. I didn't read your question carefully. You clearly said that Parker was off the board already in your hypothetical case. I guess I would then go with Perriman. Same as DH.

No worries. I think you have the names all mixed. I didn't pose the question. I only answered with Perriman.

If the Chiefs are in a position where they have to reach, then they are in a position where they need to trade back, and get another pick. There are options at 18 even if everyone is off the boards. Teams will want our spot to get ahead of other teams looking to maximize their draft selection. This is why Hunt hired Dorsey. 

Guest dhitter

I threw a scenario out there just to kind of get some feedback. I agree that the best value most likely is another position if the top 3 receivers are off the board. One or two of those names could very well still be there at number 49 in the second round. guess the better question would have been just simply "who do you like best out of this group?"

I threw a scenario out there just to kind of get some feedback. I agree that the best value most likely is another position if the top 3 receivers are off the board. One or two of those names could very well still be there at number 49 in the second round. guess the better question would have been just simply "who do you like best out of this group?"

If limited to WRs, then Perriman or Strong.  There's a good chance that a starting WR can be had in the second round, though.

I don't see a receiver being in play at 18. Cooper, Parker, White, and probably Perriman, will be gone. If Al Davis were still alive, with Perriman running a 4.2, he would probably be the pick at 4. :lol:

I am warmimg up to the idea of the FSU Center, but I would rather they trade down some and take him. I would be good with Kevin Johnson, and don't feel 18 is too high. Collins or Flowers would be solidly in my comfort zone. Malcolm Brown would be great, but probably gone.

2013 draft, Dallas traded their pick to San Fran (Eric Reid) in exchange for #31 (Travis Frederick), and # 74 (Terrance Williams). 

There are ample other examples, but this will suffice for now. Is that a kind of trade the Chiefs would benefit from? Looking at Eric Reid, it would seem the Cowboys gave up a lot. However, they have JJ Wilcox and Barry Church at FS and SS (interchangeable in that they both play either position). So, they really did not need Eric Reid. What they needed was Travis Frederick. Outside of Dontari Poe schooling the rookie Frederick, he has been very good. 

So, lets look at teams that may consider a trade. New Orleans pops to mind. They happen to have an extra 1st round selection and an extra 3rd round selection (both via trades).they also have our fifth round pick. Dallas seems to be a decent choice here as well. Dallas has been rumored to be a team wanting to move up in the draft. They currently have the 27th pick in the draft. Next they have the 60th, 91st, and 127th. 

What if New Orleans wants to move up, and get another mid first round pick? New Orleans was alright on offense, but their defense was at the lower spectrum of the NFL. So, there is a shot that our picks do not line up with their picks. They need help on their line. Bunkley is toast at NT. His better days are in the rear view mirror. Danny Shelton may still be available at 18, and he would fill in nicely at NT. Either Gregory or Dupree would be good at OLB. I give Dupree the edge now. The Saints need a OT, but they get one later. They probably need to replace Jimmy Grant (who could not or would not block). They can get Max Williams there to fill in nicely.

Dallas has similar reasons to want to trade up to 18th. Dallas has traded out of their 1st round spot 20 of 26 times since Jones arrived. There is a good shot they will do it again. Sometimes they trade up, and often they trade back. One thing is for sure, Dallas doesn't often like to stay put with their original 1st round pick. They need a running back and a DT. Todd Gurley would be a great fit for Dallas at RB. They might be able to wait it out, and get him later, but if they really want him, they will probably move up to get him. The Cowboys have been entertaining thoughts of trading for Peterson, but I hear Peterson is likely not headed there. Dallas can get their DT in the 2nd round, where I hear Michael Bennett is on their short list. http://sportdfw.com/2015/02/16/dallas-cowboys-draft-target-michael-bennett/

This brings us back to the Chiefs. Lets go with the NO trade, because it works best, and it only works out if it improves things for KC. I believe it does, and here is why. KC can probably move back and still get either CB Marcus Peters, or OT TJ Clemmings, or OT Jake Fisher, or TE Maxx Williams, or ILB Eric Kendricks. The bottom of the draft makes a lot more sense to the Chiefs because that is where the value meets the need for the team. 

So, the Chiefs still get one of the following WR Nelson Agholor, ILB Stephone Anthony, RB Ameer Abdullah, CB Quinten Rollins, OT D J Humphries  with their 2nd rd pick. If the Chiefs get one of NO's 3rd round picks, they will have three third rounds, and one fourth round picks between 75 and 118. This group should have potential targets, WR Tyler Lockett, CB DJoun Smith, Box Safeties Campbell and D. Randall, WR Philip Dorsett, WR Tre McBride, FS Derron Smith, WR Justin Hardy, QB Garrett Grayson, QB Bryce Petty, WR Chris Conley, SS James Sample, CB Eric Rowe, and I probably could have listed ten more. 

The Chiefs would have 6 picks in the first four rounds, in a draft that is deep into the fourth round. 

Archived