Who has more influence Dorsey or Reid?

Reid has said he stays out of personnel decisions so for the most part I think the coaches tell Dorsey what they're looking for and let him do his thing.

It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

And this is how it should be. GMs that force coaches to put square pegs in round holes don't seem to last very long.

Reid has said he stays out of personnel decisions so for the most part I think the coaches tell Dorsey what they're looking for and let him do his thing.

It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

Yep, I think Dorsey knows what he Sutton want and he asks for their opinions when he wants to.

And this is how it should be. GMs that force coaches to put square pegs in round holes don't seem to last very long.

I feel this is what happened in SF. At the beginning, everyone Baalke picked, Harbaugh didn't play or seemed to mis-use them. When I say everyone, I mean on offense and generally speaking. Afterwards, they got Hyde and others, so maybe Baalke realized that for his success he needed to draft and sign to fit Harbaugh. Then, of course, they kicked Harbaugh out and Baalke can do what he wants. Now, it's up to Tomsula playing the way Baalke wants him to or else they're going to be square pegs, too...

They both report to Clark, I would say final decision if theres any question goes to Clark.

Seems to me the GM is supposed to be the GM and the Coach is supposed to be the coach, and the Owner is supposed to be the Owner. I believe they have it right.

I feel this is what happened in SF. At the beginning, everyone Baalke picked, Harbaugh didn't play or seemed to mis-use them. When I say everyone, I mean on offense and generally speaking. Afterwards, they got Hyde and others, so maybe Baalke realized that for his success he needed to draft and sign to fit Harbaugh. Then, of course, they kicked Harbaugh out and Baalke can do what he wants. Now, it's up to Tomsula playing the way Baalke wants him to or else they're going to be square pegs, too...

For what it's worth, Colin Kaepernick was Harbaugh's pick. Harbaugh played who he wanted to, and while there's been very little said about Harbaugh's and Baalke's differences that went public, it seems like Harbaugh had a very narrow view about what sort of player can succeed in the league. Harbaugh was accustomed to running an offense that bullied its opponents, and he didn't seem to invest much effort into the players that didn't fit that mold.

Dorsey and Reid game planned for Free Agency and Dorsey went out and tried to execute to the plan.  As people became available and negotiations were coming together...reid and dorsey worked together on the fly to make the final call.  Example:  Dorsey was instructed to get "interior linemen for Offense" and the Grubbs deal came up.  They looked at the Cap hit, looked at the plans they had to release / restructure guys and they made the call to do the trade together... They key dynamic was not only to get an acceptable deal in the Grubbs trade, but also make sure the trade still enabled the Chiefs to execute their other off season goals.

IMO, you are dealing with two real professionals, with mutual trust and respect for each other, working hand in hand for a common objective ( Better Team) in a very dynamic environment.  The key to this is PREPARATION and agreed upon goals in advance.

w

For what it's worth, Colin Kaepernick was Harbaugh's pick. Harbaugh played who he wanted to, and while there's been very little said about Harbaugh's and Baalke's differences that went public, it seems like Harbaugh had a very narrow view about what sort of player can succeed in the league. Harbaugh was accustomed to running an offense that bullied its opponents, and he didn't seem to invest much effort into the players that didn't fit that mold.

Crazy story. I was drinking with one of the 9ners co Owners. He told me that Harbaugh loved Kap. Alex Smith was sent to evaluate Kap at Nevada or whereever, I can't remember. Smith came back and told them Harbaugh was right. You need to get this guy.

The interesting part is that Alex convinced them to draft the guy that took his job. Not earth shattering, but I thinks it speaks to the kind of person Alex is. Total professional.

Crazy story. I was drinking with one of the 9ners co Owners. He told me that Harbaugh loved Kap. Alex Smith was sent to evaluate Kap at Nevada or whereever, I can't remember. Smith came back and told them Harbaugh was right. You need to get this guy.

The interesting part is that Alex convinced them to draft the guy that took his job. Not earth shattering, but I thinks it speaks to the kind of person Alex is. Total professional.

Maybe Smith knew that Kaepernick would need a lot of development, struggle with reads, touch passes, and passing from the pocket. Smith just didn't know that Harbaugh would replace him when he was winning and the top rated passer with the highest YPA (at the time).

My dad told me Harbaughwould would replace Smith the first second he could regardless of how well Smith was playing, but I thought he said that because his college was Michigan's rival.

Reid tried that GM stuff and didn't like it.  He just wants to coach and loves it.  I agree that he has enormous influence from his knowledge as to what he thinks he already has on the roster and how each player is developing and also what his scheme lacks to make it work and needs to shore up. But making that actually happen is up to Dorsey. Dorsey has to play the money game and know all the nuances of how all the contracts are structured and how many years away they are needing to replace someone.  The roster will be successful only to the extent that the people they find or draft as potential starters are ready to start at about the same time as someone's expensive contract or free agency is coming up.  We are lucky that we have a duo that does this right.  When a coach and GM don't work their correct roles with each other properly, things go to hell for a team in a hurry.

I think Clark Hunt has it going pretty good with both Dorsey and Reid. Dorsey pulls the trigger on trades, and draft picks. He knows the kind of player Reid needs. I am sure he keeps Reid in the loop. Clark oversees it all, and has deep pockets. 

I think of it as the perfect triad of NFL teams. 

I think Clark Hunt has it going pretty good with both Dorsey and Reid. Dorsey pulls the trigger on trades, and draft picks. He knows the kind of player Reid needs. I am sure he keeps Reid in the loop. Clark oversees it all, and has deep pockets. 

I think of it as the perfect triad of NFL teams. 

Absolutely agree E..,

Archived