What would make you happy tonight?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets hope the Chiefs haven't missed on their #1 pick. It doesn't look good. By the end of the season we should know something. Luke Joeckel was my selection for LT, because he played at a higher level, and had better technique. Joeckel hasn't done anything either. So, the Chiefs would have whiffed either way. This is what makes the draft so difficult to figure out. As much as teams scout players there is just no way to know for sure who will succeed. The best way to win at the draft seems to be to accumulate as many picks as possible and draft intelligently. Even then it is always going to be a crap shoot. 

I see quick throws in each of them. First one he was locked on, second one was a play action, and the third looks like he instantly looked at the rush. Yeah there's some other blame there, but 1 and 3 he could of done something with, at least an incomplete.201

Me too, as I said in the next post after those GIFs. But I feel we can't have it both ways. We can't bitch about short passes and not looking down field but then in preseason (not reg) expect the quick dump off. I feel Reid is pushing Smith to open up (not asking for gunslinger, just let loose sometimes) and this is the worst time to do it (bad oline needs either quick short shots or bailing the pocket). When the defense knows that the ball needs to be out quick not only because of the QBs tendencies but also bad oline, opportunities up front are better covered.

I forgot to note that the last one he escaped and then ran it while looking upfield.

Alex Smith getting a huge deal!

Not before he proves that he can survive this oline, improve his completion percentage, up his low YPA (better in second half 2013), win a playoff game with us, and get something from our WRs. A tall order indeed. He is smart, mobile, and can make up for some (not all) of his weaknesses (all QBs have different ones that can be adjusted - Manning doesn't run in the regular season - did you see the 1-yarder against SF this preseason?).

Nobody is forcing you to stay loyal to the team nor are they saying that you shouldn't be pissed about the way they play. All I said was be patient with Fisher, its his first year playing at left tackle and many in here expect him to be all pro.

I do not enjoy being a Chiefs fan, honestly, if I could give it up I would. Fact is...I'm a loyal person so I'm screwed.

As far as I know, we got our wish of no new injuries. The game was pretty hard to watch, but to stay positive, I have to keep reminding myself that Charles (our best RB), Bowe (our best WR), Berry (our best DB), Mays (starting LB) didn't play. That's pretty significant, I hope.

I guess we don't appreciate Smith's ability to avoid interceptions until he starts throwing them. I was really disappointed and shocked when he threw those two right together...

I was also really worried about Bray's body language and facial expression after his bad start. First the pick, then some listless hand-offs had him worrying me. However, that kid has an amazing arm. His last drive was beautiful. It seemed meaningless, but I guess it means something for his future. I can't envision the Chiefs cutting either Bray or Murray. 

Not before he proves that he can survive this oline, improve his completion percentage, up his low YPA (better in second half 2013), win a playoff game with us, and get something from our WRs. A tall order indeed. He is smart, mobile, and can make up for some (not all) of his weaknesses (all QBs have different ones that can be adjusted - Manning doesn't run in the regular season - did you see the 1-yarder against SF this preseason?).

As much as I don't want to sign Al until after this season, I don't think it would be fair to base the decision on the shoddy OL and WR he has. The playoffs can't be hung entirely on him either.  A great QB can improve his supporting cast, but only so much.  Al is not great. 

The other stuff you mention, I agree with 100%.  You cannot flourish as a QB being afraid of INT.  You can't go Brett-Favre nutty either.  There's a happy medium and Al is way too far on the Neil O'Donnell end of that scale.

I usually make my prediction after the 3rd preseason game and I know that a healthy Charles & Berry will make a difference.. Mmy gut tells me 7-9

that was atrocious and gave me little hope except to think they might have a couple a budding stars coming into the line up. I just hope they can come up before our older stars burn out & or get hurt.

People this is not the year, but let 2015 come and we best be in the Super Bowl conversation or this will just be another sad saga of the history of the KC Chiefs.. with a pat on the back & a "nice try"  and  "OH Wait Look we found These guys, they'll turn the Chiefs  comical existence around."

7-9

Yes 7 and 9

They'll have a hard time sneaking either QB through waivers.

I agree absolutely. Neither Bray nor Murray would escape being claimed by another team. On the other hand, Reid has to think that neither of them is ready to back up AS, so he dare not trade Daniel. Interesting to see how the QB situation plays out.

What a wonderful situation to be in, though, compared to recent past!!

Bray has a Hell of an arm.  He can rocket that ball!!

He is the only one of our four QB's described as having a "franchise arm".  I think the only reasonable option is to try to trade Murray soon to a team that may be willing to give us some OL help that will give us a chance this year.  Maybe an OT who can provide reasonable protection for AS for a year or two, or at least until Fisher's arm is fully healed this year and he can maintain his initial punch throughout the game. We have to keep Chase Daniel.  He is tough and capable and the only one ready to step in right now in case of an injury to AS.  If no team is willing to make a trade for Murray, we should keep all four for several weeks and wait for that opportunity. 

Another option would be to write this year off as developmental, keep Murray,  make Bray the backup right now and get somebody really good on the OL in a trade for Chase Daniel.  There are probably several teams that are hot for  for a guy like Daniel right now.  The biggest argument against trying to pick up a good OT is that the Rams are now also desperately searching for someone to fill Bradford's absence.  So, we have competition there.

I usually make my prediction after the 3rd preseason game and I know that a healthy Charles & Berry will make a difference.. Mmy gut tells me 7-9

that was atrocious and gave me little hope except to think they might have a couple a budding stars coming into the line up. I just hope they can come up before our older stars burn out & or get hurt.

People this is not the year, but let 2015 come and we best be in the Super Bowl conversation or this will just be another sad saga of the history of the KC Chiefs.. with a pat on the back & a "nice try"  and  "OH Wait Look we found These guys, they'll turn the Chiefs  comical existence around."

7-9

A majority of the proven talent on this roster came from the Pioli and Edwards regimes.  It is aging, and a some of it has already been dismissed.  More may be gone this season as they seem to be in no rush to extend Berry, and Hali and Bowe's contracts may no longer be manageable (In Bowe's case, tolerable).  DJ will be 33.  Jamaal Charles will be getting nearer to 30 year old RB cliff. 

Assuming this team is primed for a SB2015 run is a bit premature.  The team is rebuilding.  Some young guys need to make a huge leap before this team can compete next season.  

This could get worse before it gets better.  Next offseason may be the key to whether the Chiefs compete in 2016.

He is the only one of our four QB's described as having a "franchise arm".  I think the only reasonable option is to try to trade Murray soon to a team that may be willing to give us some OL help that will give us a chance this year.  Maybe an OT who can provide reasonable protection for AS for a year or two, or at least until Fisher's arm is fully healed this year and he can maintain his initial punch throughout the game. We have to keep Chase Daniel.  He is tough and capable and the only one ready to step in right now in case of an injury to AS.  If no team is willing to make a trade for Murray, we should keep all four for several weeks and wait for that opportunity. 

I'm ok with this if the plan is to give Smith the best chance of keeping his job beyond those 1-2 years (and winning of course). Team is first, but there's a way to do both. Ask him to do more, challenge him to do so, and put pressure on him to prove he can do more. If he fails, sobeit. I feel that in SF and the first half of 2013, they just looked at him to play smart and efficient and then SF replaced him because they deemed that smart and efficient was not good enough. I'd rather Reid ask him to do what Reid wants him to do, give him the support, and personnel/play packages to do so, and Smith perform as he can. If he can't, don't extend, move on. If we just play to his strengths and he plays well (efficient) but is replaced because safe isn't what we want, then I feel that if he wasn't the choice, why not ask him to try to do what you want? You might as well have just gone with Bray or Murray. If he isn't there to prove he can be the guy for longer, then I want to see what else there is out there. I don't want him there just to hold the fort. I want him to try to do what keeps his job longest and if he can't, he's gone.

I believe that Smith can succeed somewhere beyond what he's done. A hybrid of efficient and doing more. He's not going to grow a strong arm or become a gunslinger, but he can improve in taking some chances and some deeper smart throws. Use his legs as he has and slide to avoid injury - and not the RGIII slide. Others disagree and say or believe he can't. I'm ok with that opinion. Just ask him and push him to do it. I think they were doing so a bit this offseason. Maybe that's why he held on the ball too long in this last game, he's trying to go down-field.

Another option would be to write this year off as developmental, keep Murray,  make Bray the backup right now and get somebody really good on the OL in a trade for Chase Daniel.  There are probably several teams that are hot for  for a guy like Daniel right now.  The biggest argument against trying to pick up a good OT is that the Rams are now also desperately searching for someone to fill Bradford's absence.  So, we have competition there.

What do you think Chase Daniel would return in a trade?

Are the IR rules such that prior to the final cut-down, a player must pass waivers to go on the IR?  Is it contingent on something?  For example rookie Colt Lyerla had to pass waivers before GB could IR him.  Sam Bradford went straight to IR.

What do you think Chase Daniel would return in a trade?

I don't know. It depends on what a team has to give for a credible backup QB.  Perhaps, if combined with a draft pick next year, it would be enough to get a young receiver or offensive linemen that is ready to break out.  Or even a decent mid-career LT who is waiting behind an top veteran who still has three years of career left.  The answer is only limited by the team we would be dealing with and our own imaginations and pressing needs.

I don't think we have to worry about Bray getting picked up. I loved the throws he made at Tenn. Now I see a guy that is not mobile, not comfortable and not accurate. He has been through 2 training camps and when given the opportunity, he looked head and shoulders behind Murray. Plus, Bray went through an entire draft with no takers. I have seen nothing this year to change their mind. Bray to the practice squad seems like the smart play.

Smith is a solid 1, Daniels is a solid 2 and Murray is a solid 3. IMO, we are in a good spot at QB. Scramble and scrape for online help and then let's go to battle.

We "might" be OK on the O-line after the first several weeks.  Stephenson will be back by the fifth game, and from what i have read, the coaches like Fisher a lot.  He just is not getting in that initial hard punch that LT's need to deliver on the snap, later in the game when he is tired, and apparently due to his injury.  But by then, we could easily be 0-5 or 1-4.  Personally, I would like to see more help at tackle early on, so the season is not merely developmental.  It would be worth one of our QB's to obtain one, it seems to me.

I really want to see some online help as well. Not sure whether I would let Daniels go for just anybody, but if we got a proven RT or G, that would be OK with me. Daniels is gone next year anyway. Murray or Bray wouldn't get much I suspect. One thing about it is that Dorsey is excellent at picking up talent that were squeezed out of a spot their team. We can find at least depth off the scrap pile.

I kind of like seeing Allen get a chance at T where I think he played in college. He is too weak at guard from what I have seen. Maybe the change will do him some good.

Archived