What would make you happy tonight?

I really want to see some online help as well. Not sure whether I would let Daniels go for just anybody, but if we got a proven RT or G, that would be OK with me. Daniels is gone next year anyway. Murray or Bray wouldn't get much I suspect. One thing about it is that Dorsey is excellent at picking up talent that were squeezed out of a spot their team. We can find at least depth off the scrap pile.

I kind of like seeing Allen get a chance at T where I think he played in college. He is too weak at guard from what I have seen. Maybe the change will do him some good.

Great post.  Maybe we could pick up a veteran guard for Daniels and let Allen develop his old skills at tackle.  Either way, he would be a great swing guy who could fill in for anyone.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You CAN NOT win is this league with a bad OLINE.

But but but you just need to be patient. Nobody is forcing you to stick around for this turn around they are building....

My prediction, unfortunately, is that this brief success is just another flash in the pan, gone the next season, same story Chiefs team.

It sure seems to be the pattern.

Suck. High pick. Easy schedule.

One and done playoffs. Low pick. Tough schedule.

Suck. High pick. Easy schedule.

One and done playoffs. Low pick. Tough schedule.

And so on...

Finally saw the game.  A few thoughts:

-  This OL is every bit as bad as I thought.  Maybe worse.  Fisher looks to have regressed.  

-  You will not get a proven player for Chase Daniels in trade or any other QB on the team, except Al of course.  Sorry gang.  History dictates otherwise.  Chase Daniel will get you an R6, if lucky.  See Matt Schaub, starting QB.

-  Bray has an arm but is not consistently accurate.  He looked good on the final drive.  Agree he is a statue.  Is "consistently accurate" redundant?  Tyler Bray is not accurate.  

-  Travis Kelce is a player.  He should start and challenge for team lead in catches, if Al has 3 seconds to find him

-  I'm starting to like Frankie Hammonds.  Still the WR corp is not good.  How many teams carry 3 UFA WR?

-  Watching Dee Ford got me to thinking.  He's got a lot to learn.  Ford just seemed to get gobbled up.  At first I thought if he busts, well, it wouldn't be as bad as Fisher busting.  Maybe not, but look at the WR corp and the shape it is in because late R1 Jonathan Baldwin busted.  Devastating.  

-  I think I like Cyrus Gray more than Knile Davis.  Although to be fair, the Vikings DL was in the backfield every time Davis got the ball.  Makes you appreciate Jamaal Charles, who is so great, he can excel even with a bad OL.  See Barry Sanders and not many others.

-  Kudos to Davis for stopping the punt return.  Saved a TD.  Great hustle. 

- First team front 7 looked excellent.  DJ and Tamba show no signs of slowing.  Dontari Poe is becoming a monster.  Finally, I'm glad we took him.  I wanted David DeCastro, who may be a very good guard eventually.  Poe could be special.  Liked his interview and the fried chicken story.  Seems like a real good kid.

-  DAT is going to be fun.  Poe needs to get him some of that chicken or a cheeseburger or something, please!

- Hopefully Eric Berry can play this year.  This team needs him badly.

-  Vance Walker?  Who is that?  Jaye Howard is more impressive.

Finally saw the game.  A few thoughts:

-  This OL is every bit as bad as I thought.  Maybe worse.  Fisher looks to have regressed.  

-  You will not get a proven player for Chase Daniels in trade or any other QB on the team, except Al of course.  Sorry gang.  History dictates otherwise.  Chase Daniel will get you an R6, if lucky.  See Matt Schaub, starting QB.

-  Bray has an arm but is not consistently accurate.  He looked good on the final drive.  Agree he is a statue.  Is "consistently accurate" redundant?  Tyler Bray is not accurate.  

-  Travis Kelce is a player.  He should start and challenge for team lead in catches, if Al has 3 seconds to find him

-  I'm starting to like Frankie Hammonds.  Still the WR corp is not good.  How many teams carry 3 UFA WR?

-  Watching Dee Ford got me to thinking.  He's got a lot to learn.  Ford just seemed to get gobbled up.  At first I thought if he busts, well, it wouldn't be as bad as Fisher busting.  Maybe not, but look at the WR corp and the shape it is in because late R1 Jonathan Baldwin busted.  Devastating.  

-  I think I like Cyrus Gray more than Knile Davis.  Although to be fair, the Vikings DL was in the backfield every time Davis got the ball.  Makes you appreciate Jamaal Charles, who is so great, he can excel even with a bad OL.  See Barry Sanders and not many others.

-  Kudos to Davis for stopping the punt return.  Saved a TD.  Great hustle. 

- First team front 7 looked excellent.  DJ and Tamba show no signs of slowing.  Dontari Poe is becoming a monster.  Finally, I'm glad we took him.  I wanted David DeCastro, who may be a very good guard eventually.  Poe could be special.  Liked his interview and the fried chicken story.  Seems like a real good kid.

-  DAT is going to be fun.  Poe needs to get him some of that chicken or a cheeseburger or something, please!

- Hopefully Eric Berry can play this year.  This team needs him badly.

-  Vance Walker?  Who is that?  Jaye Howard is more impressive.

Sums it perfectly. With this online we have no chance. San Diego will assume our place in the division. It was changing at the end last year. Sd is going to be really good.

SD's biggest problem was that Norv Turner not only sucks as an HC, but his deep passing mentality was a poor match for Phillip Rivers' skillset.

Keenan Allen is unreal. Matthews looks quick and healthy. That could be 4 losses there to SF and Denver. I'm thinking 6-10 this year.

Keenan Allen is unreal. Matthews looks quick and healthy. That could be 4 losses there to SF and Denver. I'm thinking 6-10 this year.

Matthews always LOOKS healthy, then the games start.  Agreed with the rest.  Fluker looks real good too.  They've drafted well.  They're gonna be a pain in the arse long after Peyton retires.

My 7-9 was based on a sweep of OAK, which I'm not as confident of as I was once.

Matthews always LOOKS healthy, then the games start. Agreed with the rest. Fluker looks real good too. They've drafted well. They're gonna be a pain in the arse long after Peyton retires.

My 7-9 was based on a sweep of OAK, which I'm not as confident of as I was once.

1-15, 6-10, 7-9... It's all the same. Every year we don't win a playoff game we become one of the most pathetic franchises in the NFL.

Matthews had 1200 yards last year. He's turning it around.

Matthews always LOOKS healthy, then the games start.  Agreed with the rest.  Fluker looks real good too.  They've drafted well.  They're gonna be a pain in the arse long after Peyton retires.

Lol.

See Logan Mankins, perennial Pro-Bowl LG, albeit 32 years old.

But but but you just need to be patient. Nobody is forcing you to stick around for this turn around they are building....

My prediction, unfortunately, is that this brief success is just another flash in the pan, gone the next season, same story Chiefs team.

Yea, because whining, complaining, and bitching about things you have no control over has done so much for you and the team.

I listen to Reid, because he is a fine coach and a smart man.  And he doesn't bullshit.  In an interview, he said we are close to being a good team.  Much better than appears in the pre-season games we have played.  A coach who makes up shit and then disappoints the fans is a coach who doesn't want to stick around long.  I trust his judgement. I think we are much better than we looked in the pre-season but have a tough schedule and a lot of very young guys and and extremely young O-line.  The defense is tough and will be better with Berry coming back.  That will be enough to offset the youth on the O-line and make us about the same quality team as last year when we had 9 victories and a very easy schedule. With a tough schedule, that puts us around 7 victories, maybe 8, assuming we don't get some key injuries, in which case we could collapse completely.  But I like our direction, and the pessimism here is not only typical of football forums, but is defeatist, hand-wringing and a manifestation of the simple-minded idea that past is future, that the way things have been is the way they always will be and that a pessimist is never disappointed.  But it is all bullshit. These are smart guys running the team.  We have a lot of veteran stars and a lot of undeveloped young talent.  I see a bright future starting in 2015 and a very interesting and entertaining year this year.

So, all of you amateur experts, scouts, and coaches are like bleating goats and sheep.  We are building. Every team is trying to build.  Being a champion takes that, luck, and a fan base willing to stick in there.  I don't see a lot of the latter among the bleating pessimists I read in these pages.  I am going to enjoy this season, even if we go 3-13.  If the rest of you cannot take it, then bow out now.

Yea, because whining, complaining, and bitching about things you have no control over has done so much for you and the team.

Funny, you could make the same argument about the "just be patient, it's gonna get better next season...errr I mean next season...errr next season...errr I mean next season" crowd. It's just as redundant and annoying.

Glass half full, glass half empty, potatoes, potatos...every fan can handle this Chiefs fan experience anyway they see fit. There is no right or wrong way to be a Chiefs fan.

I listen to Reid, because he is a fine coach and a smart man.  And he doesn't bullshit.  In an interview, he said we are close to being a good team.  Much better than appears in the pre-season games we have played.  A coach who makes up shit and then disappoints the fans is a coach who doesn't want to stick around long.  I trust his judgement. I think we are much better than we looked in the pre-season but have a tough schedule and a lot of very young guys and and extremely young O-line.  The defense is tough and will be better with Berry coming back.  That will be enough to offset the youth on the O-line and make us about the same quality team as last year when we had 9 victories and a very easy schedule. With a tough schedule, that puts us around 7 victories, maybe 8, assuming we don't get some key injuries, in which case we could collapse completely.  But I like our direction, and the pessimism here is not only typical of football forums, but is defeatist, hand-wringing and a manifestation of the simple-minded idea that past is future, that the way things have been is the way they always will be and that a pessimist is never disappointed.  But it is all bullshit. These are smart guys running the team.  We have a lot of veteran stars and a lot of undeveloped young talent.  I see a bright future starting in 2015 and a very interesting and entertaining year this year.

So, all of you amateur experts, scouts, and coaches are like bleating goats and sheep.  We are building. Every team is trying to build.  Being a champion takes that, luck, and a fan base willing to stick in there.  I don't see a lot of the latter among the bleating pessimists I read in these pages.  I am going to enjoy this season, even if we go 3-13.  If the rest of you cannot take it, then bow out now.

All coaches "bullshit".  What are they supposed to say?  "We're gonna suck this year."  Of course Reid had better portray things as he believes we are close or he'd be fired.

Dandy Reid is known for his "say nothing, bullshit" press conferences after losses.  He'd be the martyr, blaming himself.  Finally the folks in Philly agreed with him and asked, "Yeah you are right.  Now what are you going to do about it?"  When he had no answer, he was shown the door.

Who are you to chastise, insult, and lecture others for seeing the team the way they do?  As is.  The team does not look good.  Some of us are tired of loving this team and having that loyalty rewarded with mediocrity or less.  

And they call me pompous.

And by the way, the NFL has 32 teams staffed with people who certainly know how to run a team far more than we "self anointed experts".  All of them will tell you they are competing for a Super Bowl.  Guess what?  1/3 of them or more will lose, not even getting close

Most fans can tell you fairly accurately who those teams will be.  JAX, OAK, DAL etc, etc.  How could we possibly be right when their front offices would tell us differently?  

Since none of us know what we're talking about, perhaps it was a mistake starting this board again.

And by the way, the NFL has 32 teams staffed with people who certainly know how to run a team far more than we "self anointed experts".  All of them will tell you they are competing for a Super Bowl.  Guess what?  1/3 of them or more will lose, not even getting close

Most fans can tell you fairly accurately who those teams will be.  JAX, OAK, DAL etc, etc.  How could we possibly be right when their front offices would tell us differently?  

Since none of us know what we're talking about, perhaps it was a mistake starting this board again.

Mongo, everyone is welcome to participate, and everyone is free to not participate.  If you don't like this board, you are free to avoid it. 

A few observations of my own:  Kansas City is a wonderful city. I grew up here.  We are competing against 31 other cities for a limited base of talent in players and coaches. If all were really equal, other than the salary cap, each team would win a championship once every 32 years. The majority of those cities are bigger, and they have more opportunities for high paying jobs for the players' spouses and schools for their kids.  A lot of them have oceans and warm winters.  Others have mountains with skiing.  Many others are more demographically balanced, and those  players who have developed excellence and are at the end of their contracts and have some kids or a talented spouse see more job opportunities and educational opportunities and recreational opportunities for their young families elsewhere, or more nightlife, or whatever, so they hold out and stress our cap and ask for more than we can afford, simply because they have wanderlust because they are young, see the grass as greener on the other side, and decide to bring their pro-bowl level skills to a bigger or more attractive city. So, we lose them to a team from the mountains or ocean or West coast or Atlantic seaboard, where the "action" is.    Remember, these are 28-29 year olds, the majority black, and they enjoy cities that meet their interests and comfort level more than KC or has a racial mix more to their comfort level.  That means that we can get great coaches and have the same cap rules and have a good owner and still win that championship maybe once every 40 or 50 years instead instead of once every 32 years. It may be that Justin Houston, for example, is simply not going to sign a contract with us, because he wants to live in a big city or loves the ocean or the mountains, etc.  Because he can.  He is a very young man.   And he will be gone.

I want to enjoy having an NFL team and competing and having seasons where we win more than we lose and being excited and watching the games.  That'f fine with me.  And I love this board.  But if you are too non-accepting to be anything but grumpy and negative and harsh everyone's mellow to aggrandize yourself or remove your own frustrations, then others will call you out on it.  If that is unacceptable to you, you are free to leave the board, just like any of us are. No one is forceing you to stay around here.

There are those who are positive and those who are negative. Yes both sides have been right and both sides have been wrong. I personally prefer to be positive about things in general and refuse to be around constant negativity. So if you wish to be negative the majority of the time so be it. Being negative is a terrible way to go through life.

Camps:

-The Glass is 1/2 full 

-The Glass is 1/2 Empty

-We don't even have a Glass.

The great majority of folks here are cautiouly optimistic to THEIR own individual expectations because they are fans of the team.

I don't recall a single person here saying KC is a LOCK to  go to the playoffs this year. 

I listen to Andy Reid as well, the guy knows how to win and understands what a good football team looks like.  Interestingly, Mike Sando ( ESPN Insider) polled 30 GM's, Coaches and Ex Coaches and ranked the NFL Coaches in the league today.  Andy Reid was ranked 4th.  ( Source: ESPN.COM Insider)

95% of the folks acknowlegde the tough schedule, Cap Constraints, OL Churn and questions regarding pass coverage.

and

I really enjoy my trips to KC every year.  I think it is a fantastic AREA.  Great folks and terrific things to see and eat!

w

Bil, KC is a great city.

You don't have to tell me.  I was born and grew up there.  It is close to me (about 60 miles), and both of my sons are jazz musicians there. I love the place.  It is absolutely awesome.  But I am not 28.  I'm not black.  I'm not cold intolerant or heat intolerant.  I do not crave being near an ocean.  I don't have a spouse who needs to find a high paying job in the arts or media.  What you and I love and want is not necessarily what Justin Houston or Brandon Albert wants.  Some players love cities of 3 or 5 million people and constant action and nearby mountains.  Some people love fountains and barbecue more than life itself.  Some couild not care less.  Some want to be able to buy a million dollar home in a nice neighborhood and  still be black and not feel isolated socially.  Do you understand? Players who have established themselves as stars tend to be in their upper twenties, have lots of money, and a high percentage are black.  They would take the same amount of money elsewhere to live in a city they have always dreamed of living in.  The reason we will win a championship less often than most of the other 31 NFL cities, is because we lose stars in mid to late career during free agency more than most of the other NFL cities do.  Some lose more than we do and will catch lightining in a bottle and compete for a championship less often that we do.  But most don't.  That is the difference for us, and why we get close and no cigar so often, in my opinion. 

But I would not trade being a Chiefs fan for anything. I would rather enjoy being contenders less often and still be around here.  What I don't like is constantly reading disparaging and angry remarks from fans who don't get and will not accept circumstances.  It kind of throws a wet dishrag on the rest of us and our appreciation for what we have. 

Bil, Do you have data to back up this assertion that "we lose stars in mid to late career during free agency more than most other NFL Cities Do?'

That comment surprised me as I thought KC did a pretty good job keeping the players they wanted to keep and getting the Free Agents they wanted to sign.....

w

Mongo, everyone is welcome to participate, and everyone is free to not participate.  If you don't like this board, you are free to avoid it. 

A few observations of my own:  Kansas City is a wonderful city. I grew up here.  We are competing against 31 other cities for a limited base of talent in players and coaches. If all were really equal, other than the salary cap, each team would win a championship once every 32 years. The majority of those cities are bigger, and they have more opportunities for high paying jobs for the players' spouses and schools for their kids.  A lot of them have oceans and warm winters.  Others have mountains with skiing.  Many others are more demographically balanced, and those  players who have developed excellence and are at the end of their contracts and have some kids or a talented spouse see more job opportunities and educational opportunities and recreational opportunities for their young families elsewhere, or more nightlife, or whatever, so they hold out and stress our cap and ask for more than we can afford, simply because they have wanderlust because they are young, see the grass as greener on the other side, and decide to bring their pro-bowl level skills to a bigger or more attractive city. So, we lose them to a team from the mountains or ocean or West coast or Atlantic seaboard, where the "action" is.    Remember, these are 28-29 year olds, the majority black, and they enjoy cities that meet their interests and comfort level more than KC or has a racial mix more to their comfort level.  That means that we can get great coaches and have the same cap rules and have a good owner and still win that championship maybe once every 40 or 50 years instead instead of once every 32 years. It may be that Justin Houston, for example, is simply not going to sign a contract with us, because he wants to live in a big city or loves the ocean or the mountains, etc.  Because he can.  He is a very young man.   And he will be gone.

I want to enjoy having an NFL team and competing and having seasons where we win more than we lose and being excited and watching the games.  That'f fine with me.  And I love this board.  But if you are too non-accepting to be anything but grumpy and negative and harsh everyone's mellow to aggrandize yourself or remove your own frustrations, then others will call you out on it.  If that is unacceptable to you, you are free to leave the board, just like any of us are. No one is forceing you to stay around here.

Maybe I should have highlighted that I was speaking facetiously when I said starting the board was a mistake.  I thought you'd know that.  I just grow tired of the people who say "you aren't qualified to say anything critical since you don't work for the NFL."  This is always in response to something critical.  Nobody tells me IDK what I'm talking about if I say Eric Berry is a top 5 safety, that's for sure.

And while I appreciate the fact you love KC, my post was not a rip on the city.  It was a counter to your proposal that because Dandy Andy says we're going to be good, we should swallow it like honey.  

32 teams do compete, but isn't it odd how it's the same few winning and competing for SB over and over again.  Kansas City is never one of those teams.  

Review my thoughts on the last game.  It's a mixed bag of good and bad.  Unfortunately, the bad outweighs the good, as it should when your QB makes two terrible INT, there's no running game, the secondary is getting beat deep by a QB with a rubber arm, and the OL gets beaten like a rented mule.  Well, er, um Mike Garrett did a nice job banging the drum.  Satisfied? 

No, I don't have the stats, West.  Just going by painful experience over the last 20 years, reading about similar losses on other teams, and remembering published comments by the players afterwards.  So, it is just a cumulatve impression, but I firmly believe it to be so.  It is also quite true, that being competitors, these older guys want to win NOW and will often choose winning and being part of a championship to be more important than money oftentimes.  That, I believe, contributes to teams getting in long cycles of frustration like the Chiefs.  I think the same dynamic will help us in the next several years if we break out in 2015 or 2016.

I doesn't change anything for me.  I know that championships are rare but being competitive and contending is not.  I will hate the losing years but always be a Chiefs fan.  I like the color of the uniforms, the city, the intensity of the fans, and the memories.

Maybe I should have highlighted that I was speaking facetiously when I said starting the board was a mistake.  I thought you'd know that.  I just grow tired of the people who say "you aren't qualified to say anything critical since you don't work for the NFL."  This is always in response to something critical.  Nobody tells me IDK what I'm talking about if I say Eric Berry is a top 5 safety, that's for sure.

And while I appreciate the fact you love KC, my post was not a rip on the city.  It was a counter to your proposal that because Dandy Andy says we're going to be good, we should swallow it like honey.  

32 teams do compete, but isn't it odd how it's the same few winning and competing for SB over and over again.  Kansas City is never one of those teams.  

Review my thoughts on the last game.  It's a mixed bag of good and bad.  Unfortunately, the bad outweighs the good, as it should when your QB makes two terrible INT, there's no running game, the secondary is getting beat deep by a QB with a rubber arm, and the OL gets beaten like a rented mule.  Well, er, um Mike Garrett did a nice job banging the drum.  Satisfied? 

I wasn't even really referring to you specifically, just the disparaging remarks by others who pointed out the cycle of not quite making it, then having to rebuild over and over and over.  All teams do that.  Once in a while, it is important to be grateful, count our blessings, our great stadium and fan base, our coach who is a proven winner who players love to play for, our GM who was very successful in Green Bay for a long time, and financial rules that give us as much of a chance to pay the money to the established players as much as anyone.  I just feel that we lose more top FA's than we gain, and some of it is the demographics of the city.  KC is a great town, but it is small compared with a majority of the towns that contend more often than we do, and  lot of players  want to live the exciting life of the biggest cities.  I have lived in New Orleans for four years and was part of the Saints organization (albeit as a musician :lol:).  I lived in Atlanta for five years.  I came back here and like it better.  But no one can tell me that Westport is anything like Bourbon St. or that our best restaurants compare with Commander's Palace or Antoine's and the like. We are not a tourist destination city. No one can tell me that the many huge wealthy neighborhoods of Atlanta and cities like that that have a large black upper class is not a socially preferable place to live for a highly paid  yoiung black star NFL player and his young family.   So, I believe we lose more than our share of good FA's.  And winning it all is self-perpetuating, because these players want to experience that. 

The truth is that, from a strictly football standpoint, I rarely disagree with any of your assessments.  We see things the same way.  The difference is that I accept it as normal and a challenge and something interesting to observe, and you express it in a way that sounds like an indictment or put-down of the entire franchise or the validity of even being a fan, which pisses everyone off.   Winning a championship is great but not the sole definition of why we are fans.

Archived