If Not Now...When?

Quarterbacks miss receivers. It happens every game. I've never seen anyone show evidence that Smith misses open receivers at a much greater rate than that of the quarterbacks that are considered among the best.

Get separation, and you get to catch passes. It's not a stretch for the quarterback to ask for that.

Ha - I'm not convinced you watched the games. j/k

I would love it if he "missed" a downfield receiver as it would indicate he actually tried to hit one. Instead, he either didn't see them, checked down (chronically), scrambled and/or took a sack on way too many occasions.

If he needs a WR to be wide-the-fuck open to throw it, he better throw it to them when they are. You can't have it both ways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad Rodgers said it: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/21092/play-calling-for-aaron-rodgers-peyton-manning-doesnt-and-neither-will-he

I hate that stupid notion that Manning calls his own plays. He doesn't call his own plays out there, the OC gives him a few plays or a play and he executes it. He audibles and I'm sure he's called some plays before or had strong input, but come on. 

Smith is a Good QB....

Smith needs to play MUCH better in 2015 if KC hopes to compete for a SB.

Both can be true.

w

Agreed. I find myself defending him, but that doesn't mean I am happy with his play. Eliminate the excuses and I will not be able to defend him. I have a feeling he will be as good as his cast.

Agreed. I find myself defending him, but that doesn't mean I am happy with his play. Eliminate the excuses and I will not be able to defend him. I have a feeling he will be as good as his cast.

I have heard people ask if he is holding the team back. I think there's a difference between holding a team back and elevating everyone around him. First, I think elevating everyone around him is subjective and overstated and can be driven by the media to greater lengths than it should be.

Case in point, people still think that Peyton Manning call his own plays on offense. Manning has an offensive coordinator who gives him plays and sometimes he audibles and ocassionally in a no huddle may call a play or two. Aaron Rodgers vouched for the fact that nobody calls their own plays exclusively nor to the extent of people think Manning does.

Second, any successful quarterback who has started as long as Smith has, obviously make some players better, some players less effective, and most players the same. Vernon Davis is good but he hasn't done as well with other quarterbacks. Jamaal Charles had his career years in the passing game with Alex Smith. Now, Vernon Davis and Jamall Charles are good to great players, but their numbers went up with Smith and Reid. We all know about the receivers, but there are considerations coming from the receiver side and by the system.

I think Smith will go as far as his cast but it doesn't mean he's being carried. I think it means that he will elevate some and some of that will be at an expense of others. But ultimately as the team rises, so will he. I don't think he would be the one to disappoint if everyone around him were average. Again, I think it is exaggerated how much other quarterbacks could or may elevate others.

To clarify, I'm not saying that Smith is elite nor that there aren't other better quarterbacks that are elite. I'm just saying a lot of it is media garbage.

There is an existence proof with his play on the 49ers the year before he was hurt...and the year he was hurt. He played them into a Super Bowl Game and had it in the bag until some guys started fumbling punts...

Jim Harbaugh screwed the pooch trading Smith, it was his downfall.

Smith can get it done.

w

I have heard people ask if he is holding the team back. I think there's a difference between holding a team back and elevating everyone around him. First, I think elevating everyone around him is subjective and overstated and can be driven by the media to greater lengths than it should be.

'Holding a team back' may not directly correlate with the statistical outputs associated with weaker quarterbacks. Kaepernick was the sort of player that could put up gaudy individual stat lines against defenses, but he didn't make the players around him better. A lot of people thought Smith was holding back Crabtree, and that Crabtree's chemistry with Kaepernick in 2012 was proof of that, but with time Crabtree's numbers regressed to the mean, and that wasn't as much because of Crabtree's achilles injury as it was because defenses learned how to stop Kaepernick from connecting on his passes to Crabtree. Not many have bothered to note that aside from Crabtree, not one of the offensive supporting cast that played for both Smith and Kaepernick ever was made 'better' by Kaepernick.

Smith doesn't put up Kaepernick's numbers, but his teams win, and not merely in games where the defense puts a choke-hold on opposing offenses. Smith, by virtue of his football mind, is capable of making certain players more valuable than they would be in other situations. He's not able to break any records held by Manning, Brady, or Brees, but his style of play lends itself to something far more important: Putting his teammates in the best position to play their brand of football. His primary weakness demonstrated in 2014 was that he was horrible when asked to block for himself.

Almost, but at least it means that they are further away from getting their new guy real experience. Maybe Manning knew their belief in Osweiller and that's why he kept playing not only through injury but also when up by multiple TDs that one time he refused to get taken out until way late? He felt he'd get Kaepernick'd by someone who may or may not be worse than Kaepernick. Just kidding. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/23/report-broncos-tried-to-trade-peyton-manning-to-texans/

Almost, but at least it means that they are further away from getting their new guy real experience. Maybe Manning knew their belief in Osweiller and that's why he kept playing not only through injury but also when up by multiple TDs that one time he refused to get taken out until way late? He felt he'd get Kaepernick'd by someone who may or may not be worse than Kaepernick. Just kidding. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/23/report-broncos-tried-to-trade-peyton-manning-to-texans/

THATS SO DAMN FUNNY!!

I HATE DENVER!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Archived