Chiefs owner: We’re going to get Justin Houston signed

Chiefs outside linebacker Justin Houston wouldlove to leave Kansas City in free agency, but the franchise tag makes that a long shot. Which might be why Chiefs owner Clark Hunt is confident that in the end, Houston will stay where he is.

“He knows, and his agent knows, how much we want him back,” Hunt said. “We just all have to be patient, and eventually, we’re going to get him signed to a long-term deal.”

If Houston doesn’t want to play for the Chiefs, he can try to work something out with another team, although that would be hard to do because the Chiefs would have the right to match any offer, and would receive two first-round draft picks from Houston’s new team if they don’t match the offer. Houston could also sit out all of training camp and the preseason and then sign the franchise tender just before Week One and still make his full $13.1 million salary. And if Houston really doesn’t want to play for the Chiefs, he could wait until Week 10 to sign the franchise tag and play just six games while still accruing enough service to become a free agent again next year.

But Chiefs General Manager John Dorsey said the team thinks things will work outwith some patience, and Hunt echoed that.

“I’ve been very consistent in saying that we not only value Justin as a football player, that we not only value Justin as a person and leader, and we want him to be a Chief for life,” Hunt said. “And the negotiating process in these type of situations, as John has said, takes some patience. You just have to have patience. It will work out.”

The only question is whether Houston agrees. It takes two to sign a contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/27/chiefs-owner-were-going-to-get-justin-houston-signed/

What's he supposed to say?

"No, we're gonna play hard ball because we hold the cards so screw him if he doesn't want to play with us..."

Yes.

Seriously though, I believe them.

1. Of course, they want him.

2. Of course, they want the right price or lower.

3. Yes, they have the leverage.

4. An offer by another team is not likely, at least before this draft.

5. Long term creates more flexibility for us.

6. It does take patience.

I sure wish we knew what he wanted. At least then I would know which side to be frustrated with. Worst case, Franchise him again.

If he doesn't play, you don't have to pay him. But does he still count against the cap? Just curious.

I wouldn't think so. If he doesn't play that means he didn't sign the contract. If he's not under contract you would think it doesn't count under the cap.

i would like to know why a lot of the talking heads say that JH hates KC and wants to go somewhere else. I don't recall that i have ever seen any indication that would validate these statements, but i know that this type of shock crap sells. Also i am fairly sure that if a team was going to try to sign him then someone would have made the attempt by now

i would like to know why a lot of the talking heads say that JH hates KC and wants to go somewhere else. I don't recall that i have ever seen any indication that would validate these statements, but i know that this type of shock crap sells. Also i am fairly sure that if a team was going to try to sign him then someone would have made the attempt by now

Agree with the first part but the only reason I don't agree with the second part is because it is easier for a GM to give up 2016 and 2017 first round picks than 2015 and 2016. They could be waiting for Houston to come and worsten the draft pick they give us by bringing them wins. Future draft picks are worth less than current picks.

Houston wants to play for Atlanta. That is where he is from. However, that is not going to happen. I believe it will come down to the final day, and Houston will sign a long term deal. Atlanta cannot afford to give him what he wants, and all they would have to give KC in return. It doesn't hurt Houston if he holds out until the deadline. It doesn't hurt KC if Houston holds out until the final day. Houston would risk accepting the franchise pay for one year if he waits too late, and also risk losing a lot of money in fines. 

Hunt knows all the Chiefs have to do is to stand pat. They obviously offered Houston a reasonable deal. Houston and KC will go through this dance until the final day, and then Houston will have a six year deal worth about $100 M. It will all work out. The only caveat is if Atlanta or some other team does something really stupid. If that happens, the Chiefs will have a chance to match. If they cannot, they will have two first round picks in 2016, and two first round picks in 2017. The chances of that happening are almost as good as AlGore losing weight. 

Why on earth do you think he wants to play for Atlanta? You keep saying this but there is no connection other than he is from there. I believe he wants to be a Chief. He just wants to be paid.

As he should. Hopefully this gets done.

I'm new to Chiefs ball but Houston seems like the centerpiece of he defense. 22 sack guys don't grow on trees so he should be their top priority. Poe needs a new deal soon after. Would have been nice to extend them before Suh.

That's a fact.

Why on earth do you think he wants to play for Atlanta? You keep saying this but there is no connection other than he is from there. I believe he wants to be a Chief. He just wants to be paid.

Pioli is basically running things there are he drafted him. Atlanta makes a lot of sense, but I have never seen anything that says Houston wants to play there. 

I lived in GA when he attended UGA and I can tell you he is loved down there. 

Pioli is basically running things there are he drafted him. Atlanta makes a lot of sense, but I have never seen anything that says Houston wants to play there.

I lived in GA when he attended UGA and I can tell you he is loved down there.

That's nice, but the Chiefs own Houston. We can once again own him next year too with a tag once again, regardless of what he wants.

Im not a Big Hunt fan however its good to see him getting into the public dialogue. I think Houston will retire a Chief.

Hunt and company must make this happen.  If they don't they failed, plain and simple.  Hunt can talk all he wants, actions speak...I have faith it will happen. 

Archived