Move into Top 10?

Do you think we could move into the top 10 to get Cooper or White?

Rumor has it the Falcons will lose their second round pick for pumping crowd noise through their speaker system over the past two seasons. They are hurting for talent on defense. Rumor has it they really want Randy Gregory. He is the Bruce Irvin type of player that Dan Quinn is looking for. Will he be there at #18 after the failed drug test?

Would you give our first and second to move up to #8 and draft a WR?

Is there another position we would move into the top 10 for? Pass rusher? Nose Tackle?

Would a first a second be enough to move to #8? Would we have to give our 3rd too?

Thoughts?

If it's for a wide receiver that they would move up, the answer is: The Chiefs should not do that.

One of the advantages of having a smart and accurate quarterback is that you don't need to pay a premium for freakish athletes at wideout that can wrestle away bad passes and snare the jump balls and have on top of that top-notch speed. You can get each skill set for far less money and far less draft pick capital if you look for it in two separate players. The Chiefs have Jeremy Maclin, which in turn has given them a substantial amount of flexibility at the position.

The opening post actually serves as a warning to the Chiefs:

Do you think we could move into the top 10 to get Cooper or White?

Rumor has it the Falcons will lose their second round pick for pumping crowd noise through their speaker system over the past two seasons. They are hurting for talent on defense. Rumor has it they really want Randy Gregory. He is the Bruce Irvin type of player that Dan Quinn is looking for.

Why have the Falcons hurting for talent on defense to the tune of the worst-ranked defense by yardage in 2014, 27th-ranked defense by yardage in 2013, and the 24th-ranked defense by yardage in 2012 (three consecutive bottom-ten finishes)? Because in 2011, the Falcons made a huge splash to bring in talented wide receiver Julio Jones at the sixth-overall pick in exchange for the Falcons' later 27th-overall pick, their second- and fourth-round 2011 picks, as well as their 2012 first- and fourth-round picks.

With the acceptance of any opportunity comes opportunity cost. The Falcons' defense quickly degenerated into one of the league's worst units because of the lack of cost-effective high-end defensive talent to replace aging and pricey defenders.

The Chiefs do not need to become the Falcons. Julio Jones has been great, but his replacement and what the Falcons could have gotten with those other picks might have been much better together.

It doesn't seem like something Dorsey would do but, Andy Reid moved down and got the guy he wanted something like 75% of the time. We have a ton of draft picks and I think we are in a position to go for quality over quantity. However, I doubt we do it but, you never know?

If it doesn't take the moon to land Amari Cooper, I'd go bananas. He's Reggie Wayne. The kid is super polished already and looks like he will have an extremely steady career.

That said, I don't think we're in a position where ONE PLAYER makes the difference... unless we're talking about Jameis.

If it doesn't take the moon to land Amari Cooper, I'd go bananas. He's Reggie Wayne. The kid is super polished already and looks like he will have an extremely steady career.

That said, I don't think we're in a position where ONE PLAYER makes the difference... unless we're talking about Jameis.

Ugh. He hasn't played an NFL snap, and the transition curve for that position from the NCAA level to the NFL is steeper than any other.

If Alex Smith could help a 49ers team (with a substandard pass-blocking offensive line and weak receiver complement offset only by a great defense and great coaching) outscore drive-for-drive a Super Bowl-winning Giants team in an NFC Conference Championship game, Alex Smith can help a 2015 Chiefs team with a shored-up offensive line and receiving corps be a Super Bowl contender.

Anyone thinking they need to replace Smith at this point in his career ought to read Aesop's The Dog and Its Reflection.

That wasn't meant to be a statement about Jameis being able to do more than Alex Smith RIGHT NOW... rather that he looks like an NFL caliber QB moreso than anyone coming out of college recently not named Luck.

He's Eli Manning, basically. He throws a bunch of stupid balls but there are few guys I'd rather have in the 4th quarter.

Earliest reference to a similar deal is in 2013 when the Rams traded with the Bills to move from 16 to 8.

That trade was:

Traded 2013 first round pick (#16-E.J. Manuel), 2013 second round pick (#46-Kiko Alonso), 2013 third round pick (#78-Marquise Goodwin), 2013 seventh round pick (#222-Chris Gragg) to Bills for 2013 first round pick (#8-Tavon Austin), 2013 third round pick (#71-T.J. McDonald) on 2013-04-25

If I had to guess, a starting point would be 1-8 for 1-18, 2-49, and 4-118.

Would I do it? I don't think so. The Chiefs don't need to go up and get a number 1 after signing Maclin. It would be great to have Maclin and Cooper, but I'd rather have three darts to throw at the board instead of 1. The Chiefs do have other holes and it'd be much better in my mind to get 2 potential starters and a role player than 1 starter.

I think Parker could be better than Cooper at receiver. It isn't always the most obvious choice that turns out to be the best player in the draft. There are intangible items that cannot be accounted until it becomes obvious in the pros. Look at guys like Randall Cobb, who was a 2nd round draft selection. Most people didn't think he would go that high. 

I think Parker could be better than Cooper at receiver. It isn't always the most obvious choice that turns out to be the best player in the draft. There are intangible items that cannot be accounted until it becomes obvious in the pros. Look at guys like Randall Cobb, who was a 2nd round draft selection. Most people didn't think he would go that high. 

Parker won't be good for us. He really sucks at comebacks, curls, and hooks. We run A LOT of those. He is a crappy route runner unless it's a post or a go route. He also uses the same exact release every single time. That's not going to work in the NFL. He is nothing like Cooper imo.

Cooper is polished. He's like Issac Bruce.

Parker is like Mike Wallace. Those are their ceilings imo. 

Parker won't be good for us. He really sucks at comebacks, curls, and hooks. We run A LOT of those. He is a crappy route runner unless it's a post or a go route. He also uses the same exact release every single time. That's not going to work in the NFL. He is nothing like Cooper imo.

Cooper is polished. He's like Issac Bruce.

Parker is like Mike Wallace. Those are their ceilings imo. 

I guess being in Kentucky, I see things differently. I think Parker can run good routes, and he has an intangible characteristic that could put him over the top. 

Cooper would be an awesome choice, but it will never happen. 

I love the thought of getting Cooper. I wouldn't give up 3 2015 picks, but maybe there's a team that needs a QB.

Our 1st, a 3rd (we still have a comp. pick in the 3rd), and Chase Daniel (we gotta dump that salary), and sweeten the pot with a 3rd in 2016.

I love the thought of getting Cooper. I wouldn't give up 3 2015 picks, but maybe there's a team that needs a QB.

Our 1st, a 3rd (we still have a comp. pick in the 3rd), and Chase Daniel (we gotta dump that salary), and sweeten the pot with a 3rd in 2016.

He's so polished. Just like Julio jones.

I hate to see Cooper go the Oakland. He looked like a grown man playing with the neighborhood kids in the SEC. Wow.

Oakland always seems to get the best talent, but wastes it like fruit left to spoil in the back of a hot car in the sun. I've seen several mocks, and most seem to have Cooper headed to the Raiders. The important thing to remember is that bad teams always draft the better talent, but good teams learn to do more with less. 

Archived