Kansas City Chiefs visiting with veteran free agent center

ESPN's Todd McShay mocked a center to the Kansas City Chiefs in his latest 2015 NFL mock draft but the Chiefs could sign a veteran center before the draft comes. That veteran center could be free agent Tim Barnes, who is visiting the Chiefs today.

If you're familiar with that name, it's probably because you're familiar with Missouri, where Barnes went to school. Or you saw this from the Star's Terez Paylor earlier this month.

Barnes played college football at Missouri until he went undrafted in 2011. He was briefly with the Baltimore Ravens before joining the St. Louis Rams for the last three seasons. The Chiefs need for a center is an obvious one after Rodney Hudson left for the Oakland Raiders in free agency. Eric Kush is the remaining center on the roster. We've talked plenty about whether the Chiefs should roll with Kush -- GM John Dorsey says he has confidence in Kush -- or whether they'll bring in a center to compete with him.

Because Kush is unproven after being selected in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft, it makes sense to bring in a veteran to compete with him. We'll see if the Chiefs end up signing Barnes.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/3/30/8312701/kansas-city-chiefs-veteran-free-agent-center

I think Barnes would be a nice addition. The Chiefs have no one besides Kush at Center. Many people have the Chiefs taking Cameron Erving because of their doubts or lack of knowledge about Kush. I say lack of knowledge, because we just do not know, and that includes me. We hear good things, but in the end, this is a small college athlete, who has never really done anything on the NFL level. He played decently his rookie game when the Chiefs sat just about every starter, but he was far from spectacular. Last season, Kush played even less. I feel he can do it, but I just don't know. At least with Barnes, there is a player who has demonstrated he can play at an NFL level. Also, if there is an injury at Center, the Chiefs have absolutely no one who can fill in. 

Erving may still be their pick. I will leave that to Dorsey. I believe it is best for the team if Dorsey can pick the BPA, and not have to worry about settling for a guy who can fill a spot. I think Dorsey will pick the BPA anyway, but this way, the team covers its bases. 

I predict the Chiefs will continue to try to sign a veteran Center. If they do not, they will not deviate from their plan to draft the BPA. 

Chief Woodenhead, meet Chief Paducke fd0fe90d-fabb-49a8-96ce-86a4402e6640.JPG

Sculpture commemorates Chief Paduke, for whom the city was named. It was commissioned by the Paducah Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution for $3,000, at the suggestion of the Paducah chapter's regent, Mrs. E. G. Boone. Chief Paduke was reported to be either from a Chickasaw tribe or a Comanche tribe. The sculpture was created by Lorado Taft in 1909. The sculpture was originally titled "Paducah Fountain" and was originally placed on the northwest corner of Broadway and 5th Street, in front of the Paducah Post Office and was moved to its current location at 19th and Jefferson Streets on June 3, 1937 following the Ohio River Flood of 1937.

cp4.JPG

Photo13953o.jpg

Archived