Top CB's in the Draft and how they fit KC

My buddy Craig has an amazing mind for the game defensively and he put a ton of work into this post. Good notes on all the top guys and how they would fit into Sutton's scheme.

http://www.footballsavages.com/2015-draft-cornerbacks-kc-chiefs-edition/

Thanks. Nice article. Much to like. Do not give up on Sanders Commings. The question on him has always been about his inability to stay away from the freak injury. Some guys never get over that curse. If Commings can, he will provide some nice depth. Huge props for Gaines. I expect for him to be much improved this year. Also, Cooper had the sophomore jinx. I still believe he has the ability to be something special. Looking at his size / speed ratio, there is no one in this years field of draft picks that can match those marks. 

One thing I do disagree with is there must be a high draft round selection at CB this year to be any good. I beg to differ. There are some sleepers in this draft. Nick Marshall is raw, but has the size, speed, and athleticism to be good. He will need developing, but the Chiefs have time to work on this. Darryl Roberts will be a late draft selection, perhaps an UDFA. Teams could develop this kid, and he could be effective in the NFL. Quinten Dark Shadows Collins is another sleeper. He had a slow 40, but he has some good size, and he is much quicker than he ran. 

Thanks. Nice article. Much to like. Do not give up on Sanders Commings. The question on him has always been about his inability to stay away from the freak injury. Some guys never get over that curse. If Commings can, he will provide some nice depth. Huge props for Gaines. I expect for him to be much improved this year. Also, Cooper had the sophomore jinx. I still believe he has the ability to be something special. Looking at his size / speed ratio, there is no one in this years field of draft picks that can match those marks. 

One thing I do disagree with is there must be a high draft round selection at CB this year to be any good. I beg to differ. There are some sleepers in this draft. Nick Marshall is raw, but has the size, speed, and athleticism to be good. He will need developing, but the Chiefs have time to work on this. Darryl Roberts will be a late draft selection, perhaps an UDFA. Teams could develop this kid, and he could be effective in the NFL. Quinten Dark Shadows Collins is another sleeper. He had a slow 40, but he has some good size, and he is much quicker than he ran. 

You must be reading my stuff elsewhere haha. I just picked Roberts in the 6th round for the Pats in a mock draft. Here's what I said on 4/3:

CB Darryl Roberts, Marshall

Tall, lanky kid, but he's very sticky, good in press, tackles great, and plays the ball well by disrupting throws. He could stick on special teams immediately. He could stand to put on about 10 more pounds of good weight but he's fearless. He's got a linebacker's demeanor in a corner frame.

I'll mention some more guys that make a bunch of sense as that Mock ends, but I don't want to give them all away just yet.

You must be reading my stuff elsewhere haha. I just picked Roberts in the 6th round for the Pats in a mock draft. Here's what I said on 4/3:

CB Darryl Roberts, Marshall

Tall, lanky kid, but he's very sticky, good in press, tackles great, and plays the ball well by disrupting throws. He could stick on special teams immediately. He could stand to put on about 10 more pounds of good weight but he's fearless. He's got a linebacker's demeanor in a corner frame.

I'll mention some more guys that make a bunch of sense as that Mock ends, but I don't want to give them all away just yet.

Crow, you know I respect you for your deep knowledge of football, and the way you constantly bring value to this forum. Of course we agree on this, and a number of other areas. There are a few areas where we have disagreed, but that is just the honest way things go when you try to articulate a position. I respect your opinions, and the opinions of many others in this forum. Thank you for the efforts you put forth. 

Crow, you know I respect you for your deep knowledge of football, and the way you constantly bring value to this forum. Of course we agree on this, and a number of other areas. There are a few areas where we have disagreed, but that is just the honest way things go when you try to articulate a position. I respect your opinions, and the opinions of many others in this forum. Thank you for the efforts you put forth. 

Thanks, I was just giving you a little crap given you brought him up. :)

What are your thoughts on Ron Fields out of Texas A&M Commerce? I, admittedly haven't seen this kid play. I've heard he's kind of a diamond in the rough kind of player. Long but kind of thin.

Finally got around to reading this and it was good. Thanks for posting. 

I think we will take a CB and I think it will specifically be one to fill the role of nickel back. This regime likes the smaller quicker types like Flowers and Owens and both of those guys are gone. They prefer not to have a big CB on the inside imo. I really don't think we'll go for a big CB in the first two rounds. These are the guys that I think would really fit the mold of what we'll be looking for.

Kevin Johnson Wake Forest (1st - 2nd)

Ronald Darby Florida State (2nd - 3rd)

Doran Grant Ohio State (3-4)

If you really think they'll specifically be looking for a big CB, I would look in the later rounds.

Archived