First Round: If the Chiefs draft a.....I'll have a breakdown.

I meant in regards to fisher progressing.

Grubbs next to him will help big.

Absolutely.  Grubbs is true pro.  He will make Fisher's job a lot easier.  Plus, Fisher himself will finally have a season in his natural postion and an offseason in which he is allowed to weight train to strengthen the upper body needed to play that position. He has had neither of those things yet since he was drafted.  Finally he will get his real chance, and we will be able to evaluate it fairly for the very first time.  If his detractors think back, they will admit he already was twice the LT the second half of last season than he was the first half.

I predict that the next real controversy on this forum about Fisher is whether or not the Chiefs can even afford to give him a new contract when his rookie contract is up.  There will be a lot of competitors for his services out there after this coming season, just like there will be with Sean Smith. 

I'm 99.999% confident that Kush will be the Chiefs' starting center in 2015. He moves extremely well and is smart. That makes me confident that the only thing the Chiefs will do is draft his backup. I'd look at Georgia's David Andrews, Harvard's Nick Easton, or Toledo's Greg Mancz as the type Reid will want - late round, mobile, smart, gets the job done.

Taking a center in round 1 goes against every ounce of history Reid and Dorsey have. Taking a first round center doesn't correlate well with team success either. Its nice, its also stupid. I wouldn't bitch half as much about the Chiefs taking Hroniss Grasu in round 2 as I would taking a guy like Cam Erving in round 1, but I still wouldn't be happy. As much as a center "matters," they are arguably one of the easiest positions to fill on the roster. A short right guard that is relatively smart and can snap a football? You have a center. If they can move like a left guard, great if you're a zone team. By the way, Reid typically uses zone type centers.

I'm not devaluing the position into obscurity, but there are positions with much more overall value for early in the draft. The Chiefs had an upper echelon center and let him walk, further proof that I don't think the position is that valuable to Andy Reid.

So, if somehow the Chiefs

A: Let an upper echelon center walk

and

B: Ignored solid veteran options in free agency

and

C: Have little confidence in their groomed backup

as well as

D: Go against history of both the head coach and GM,

only to

E: Waste a 1st round pick to replace the center position

I will

F: Be pissed off.

And that F is the grade I will give that pick for all of eternity.

E: Waste a 1st round pick to replace the center position

Not too long ago, I was arguing against the Chiefs retaining Rodney Hudson because his salary was going to end up out of line with his actual ability.

That should in no way be understood to indicate that I don't highly esteem a quality center. Do you think that Alex Mack, Nick Mangold, or Maurkice Pouncey were 'wasted first round picks'?

QB - I really don't think they need one and this is a poor draft for QBs. I'd be OK with one in the 6th or 7th rounds though.

S - Take Landon Collins or don't take one at all. 

FB - We have a pro bowl FB that just got a new contract. I'd be pissed if they waste a pick on FB.

Not too long ago, I was arguing against the Chiefs retaining Rodney Hudson because his salary was going to end up out of line with his actual ability.

That should in no way be understood to indicate that I don't highly esteem a quality center. Do you think that Alex Mack, Nick Mangold, or Maurkice Pouncey were 'wasted first round picks'?

Have any of those teams won a Super Bowl with those players? The Steelers did make the Super Bowl in Pouncey's rookie year and lost, but the question remains the same. You're putting a high value draft pick into a position that, quite frankly, doesn't require it. Spending a 4th or 5th rounder is usually adequate to get a starting caliber center in the NFL. Many teams start 6th or 7th round picks and even UDFAs. I do not, will not, advocate drafting a center in round 1. It is damn near as sacrificial as drafting a kicker or punter in the 1st round.

I wish the Chiefs had drafted a kicker in 1995.   :lol:

bwahahah. to be fair to KC, after their pick there were quite a few busts. Not too many good players at that point. Yes, a few but not what I'd call a talent laden draft. 

Allen has never played Center, as far as I can tell. I do think it would be wise for him to try to learn the position in order to stay in the league. He is a better RT than LG, and now that Grubbs is here, he really has no choice. He is a man without a position. 

Kush is beginning his third season. He has yet to play much, but there is a chance the Chiefs feel Kush is good enough. Watching his performance, he gets mixed reviews, but most of those come his rookie season on one game. Kush looked to be overwhelmed at times at Center. He is very quick off the snap, and moves very well. It is important to say Kush came from a small college, and it usually takes large school athletes at least two full seasons to beef up. Kush beefed up last season. I understand he has gotten even bigger, and stronger. This was from his neighbor, so I don't know how accurate the report is. Its hard to determine since the observation was from reported novice. 

If the Chiefs felt vulnerable at Center, they did not act it with their negotiations with Hudson. They could have kept Hudson. Obviously Oakland gave his a tremendous deal, but the Chiefs could have matched it, as evidence by recent signings. They could have aggressively approached Wisniewski, but the Chiefs have been noticeably tepid. I have also heard the Chiefs considered moving Hudson to LG at the beginning of the season, but decided against it because Hudson was in his contract season. 

My thoughts... Kush could be good enough for the role. The Chiefs probably do not want to draft a Center this season. One, they would not want to rely on a rookie to run the offensive line. This is why I do not believe Erving is a match. Also, Erving has very little experience at the position, and most guys take a period of time to adjust. Even Frederick, who was a much better draft candidate, and he was a reach at 31, by the Cowboys. I believe the Chiefs need a tested veteran, who will be a back up on the offensive line, and play center, if needed. If they draft a Center, it will be a player who can play multiple positions, and probably not until later in the draft. 

QB - I really don't think they need one and this is a poor draft for QBs. I'd be OK with one in the 6th or 7th rounds though.

S - Take Landon Collins or don't take one at all.

FB - We have a pro bowl FB that just got a new contract. I'd be pissed if they waste a pick on FB.

Re: Safety

Is that your opinion of the entire class or just of the first round talent? A lot of people are low on the DB's as a whole, but I have to disagree.

Ultimately though, it's unnecessary to draft a Safety especially high. We have a very solid group of four without even counting Berry. My only question is about Branch but I feel like they probably wouldn't have given him the deal if he wasn't healthy. Plus, successful one-year deals at Safety? It's the John Dorsey Special!!!

As for the draft class of safeties, I think guys like Ibraheim Campbell and Kurtis Drummond that can be had in the middle rounds would be excellent additions.

We do have to keep in mind that Berry, Abdullah, Branch and McCray all have one year contracts basically. Ron Parker is the only Safety signed long-term. Same reason I think CB has to be a major priority - Gaines is the only tangible asset we have signed long-term there.

Lastly, I'm really not a fan of Landon Collins. Another box-Safety from Alabama? Snooooooze.

Winston. He's the only one I'd be pissed about. Other than that, just get a good player.

I'm not one who believes all 1st round picks have to be all pro's immediately. that's microwave thinking at its best. He does need to develop into a good player.

I like ozzie Newsome's draft philosophy... it's ok to hit doubles in the first, just don't strike out.

Archived