Chiefs Defense: I Just Noticed Something Amazing!

Chiefs have had a top 5 scoring defense the past two years under Reid and Sutton. The last time KC had a top 5 scoring defense in consecutive years?

1968-1969!!!!!!

Pretty Impressive especially in this era of offensive firepower. Do you agree?

It is very impressive; has anyone compared length of Chiefs' offensive drives or number of opponent's possessions to see if slow and methodical offenses have helped, been similar factors, or not? I don't mean it would be "the cause of" just whether it played a significant factor. It rests the defense, doesn't put them in bad positions, and takes away possessions theoretically.

Good offense and good defense often play hand-in-hand. I don't see it as a "because of" situation.

Good defense equates to the offense getting the ball more frequently and/or having to score less points, correct?

Good offense equates to the opposition getting the ball less frequently and/or having to score more points, correct?

Funny how that works. Throw in special teams while you're at it as it can help both the offense and defense. Better coverage units cause longer fields for the opposition, making it more likely the defense can make a stop. Better return units make it easier for the offense to score. It's all relative.

That's why extremely well balanced teams tend to win more than those that are not that well balanced.

The Chiefs, under Reid and Co, have become a more balanced football team. They have good special teams units, they have a good defense, and the offense is fairly respectable. I really think that if the passing offense (ranked 29th in ypg) and rush defense (ranked 28th in ypg) is just a bit better in 2015, the Chiefs will be a playoff contender. You're looking at a team that was 7th in defense yards per game (2nd against the pass), 25th in offense yards per game (10th in rushing), 2nd in kickoff return average, 4th in punt return average, 17th in average yards per opponent kick return, and 6th in average yards per opponent punt return.

Good stuff. I just thought with all the negative stats we hear about KC (by the way...did anyone realize that not a single Chiefs wide receiver caught a TD pass last year?)...it would be nice to throw out a positive one that somehow the analysts let slip through the cracks.

Archived