Chiefs' Eric Berry 'doing really good' with cancer treatment

Chiefs' Eric Berry 'doing really good' with cancer treatment

Chiefs All-Pro safety Eric Berry was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in December. His brother, Evan Berry, told The Kansas City Star on Tuesday that Eric is "doing really good" as he undergoes treatment.

"I think he has three more treatments left," Evan Berry told The Star. "To be honest, I don't really see it affecting him. He's a very strong person, and he's continued to keep strong."

314001-330-0.jpg

Evan Berry, a sophomore defensive back at Tennessee, said his brother's strength at the time of the diagnosis is what kept him confident.

"It was scary," Evan Berry said. "But he wasn't worried, so I wasn't worried."

Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt and GM John Dorsey reportedly receive monthly updates on Eric Berry’s health. Dorsey said on SiriusXM radio last month that Eric Berry was in "good spirits."

"Well, anybody who knows Eric Berry knows that if there's a challenge presented to him, he will attack it with a vengeance," Dorsey said. "And he will do that. Everything that I have gotten back has been very positive. I have not spoken with him on the phone for probably six weeks, but I have texts."

Chiefs coach Andy Reid added to the good vibes, saying his Pro Bowl safety was "positive and upbeat."

He's not your average man. Dude is a warrior and he'll be back. Might have to move to FS if he loses muscle mass but, he'll be back. 

I would have to assume he has loss some muscle mass. Chemo would also effect his immune system and infections are a risk. Not sure how long that last, but I would bet he is done with Chemo by the end of April (assuming he is a 1 per week schedule). The more I think about it he may end up on the PUP list or the IR designated to return list. This will give him time to get his strength back up. 

Also have to note he has 3 treatments left, but that doesn't mean he wont need more. They will have to scan the area again to see if the chemo did its job, there is always the possibility he will need more treatments. 

On a personal note, a good friend of mine has been battling cancer and he has continued to play basketball with us 1 night a week.  He has a "mass" in his chest-stomach area that has not metastasized to his stomach, liver, lungs of other organs.  He is doing chemo every other week and is making progress.

I have noticed that he gets tired after about 20 minutes of playing but really enjoys being out messing around with the guys.

If things progress to plan, he will not need radiation.  We will all know in about 3 weeks.

w

Archived