LeVeon Bell's Suspension and Sean Smith

I posted this a long time ago, and just did in another thread.

But Sean Smith is going to get a similar suspension that Bell just got. Bell was arrested after Smith last off-season and got a DUI and also a weed charge. 

If you all remember, Sean Smith got a DUI last off-season. I don't remember hearing anything about his case being resolved. But according to the new DUI policy, players arrested in the off-season had until Nov 1 of last year to resolve their case with no penalty. If Smith did not do this, he WILL BE SUSPENDED AT-LEAST 2 games (that is 1st time DUI policy suspension)

People may wonder why we didn't offer him an sort of extension, this is your answer. 

CB with our 1st round pick is looking more and more like the way to go. 

THE NFL has become a ridiculous , almost police state mentality, organization. Suddenly judge and jury. Compared to baseball? No wonder more talent is choosing other sports. I not saying a DUI or Smoking Pot is a good thing. I am saying the NFL is way to dictatorship focused. These penalties don't just hurt the player. It hurts the fans.

THE NFL has become a ridiculous , almost police state mentality, organization. Suddenly judge and jury. Compared to baseball? No wonder more talent is choosing other sports. I not saying a DUI or Smoking Pot is a good thing. I am saying the NFL is way to dictatorship focused. These penalties don't just hurt the player. It hurts the fans.

I gotta disagree on this. 

The NFL is a job. If I got a DUI, I would be fired from my job. Smith gets a DUI, crashes his car into a tree or light pole and is still making millions of dollars and is about to get an even bigger contract next year. I don't think a 2 game suspension is enough for a DUI. 

The last two posters are correct.  In my profession, either a DUI or illegal drugs would result in my never working again.  Getting a minor suspension is nothing and the players won't suffer any significant financial hardship.  Why should the standards be so low just because they're professional athletes?

So fine the guy the salary of two games, give that money to charity , but let him play. Not playing hurts fans and team mates that had nothing to do with that. Its a 16 game season. One loss is too costly. Fine his but what he is losing. That's huge. We have a legal system to handle the rest.

So fine the guy the salary of two games, give that money to charity , but let him play. Not playing hurts fans and team mates that had nothing to do with that. Its a 16 game season. One loss is too costly. Fine his but what he is losing. That's huge. We have a legal system to handle the rest.

The NFLPA would never go for that.

So fine the guy the salary of two games, give that money to charity , but let him play. Not playing hurts fans and team mates that had nothing to do with that. Its a 16 game season. One loss is too costly. Fine his but what he is losing. That's huge. We have a legal system to handle the rest.

Fines and penalties for breaking the law should be based only on the law and the nature of the crime, not on how important the person is to some organization or to ticket buyers.  Driving while intoxicated risks the life and health of anyone else in the vicinity, including your own loved ones, innocent children, etc.  If your wife or child were crippled or killed in an accident by someone driving while intoxicated, would you feel that leniency was in order because the driver was an "important" person.  I know the answer.  Now be honest and answer that question honestly.

So fine the guy the salary of two games, give that money to charity , but let him play. Not playing hurts fans and team mates that had nothing to do with that. Its a 16 game season. One loss is too costly. Fine his but what he is losing. That's huge. We have a legal system to handle the rest.

I see your point, but there are a few things at play. The NFL has to do something and a few thousand dollars is so little for them. A team has to sign people that won't miss games. A player has to care about the team in order to avoid missed games. Now, I'm not convinced on the deterrent values of suspensions, but if it stops a few DUI's that could be lives saved. Not giving the NFL a Nobel Peace Prize for it, but it's something. Money is not a detterent, games maybe, but probably not specifically.

It's a shame that if the legal system isn't being administered in a thoroughly unfair way, it is often ploddingly slow, even in instances where guilt is easily proven. It is for that reason that the NFL is compelled to administer its own form of law.

This isn't complicated, and it's a bigger issue than some individual's fandom or some team's playoff opportunities. Any position that advocates leniency in behalf of people who drive motor vehicles or other machinery while impaired is indefensible and unjustifiable. Sean Smith didn't merely disappoint his fans or his team if he is guilty of what he was accused of: He spat in the face of human society. Whether that ought to be forgiven is another matter entirely, and that's really not in the scope of this discussion.

Why boo hoo the penalty? If I smoke weed and test positive I LOSE my job, I don't just get a suspension.

If I get a DUI and it affects my work, I lose my job.

Fuck em. They deserve the suspension at the very least.

Fines and penalties for breaking the law should be based only on the law and the nature of the crime, not on how important the person is to some organization or to ticket buyers. Driving while intoxicated risks the life and health of anyone else in the vicinity, including your own loved ones, innocent children, etc. If your wife or child were crippled or killed in an accident by someone driving while intoxicated, would you feel that leniency was in order because the driver was an "important" person. I know the answer. Now be honest and answer that question honestly.

Some people think that the legal system shouldn't give them a pass because they are important but the league should. Or they feel that the league penalty is like double penalty, but any other job responds to these things in addition to the legal system by firing the offender or bigger affects financially.

Personally, I don't think the first DUI or the first bust for weed merits a suspension.., Unless it was part of the contract..,

Company policy in most places has discipline for testing positive for illegal substances.., If you have a CDL and get it suspended because of a DUI or weed then you can't meet the standards required to do your job..,

But NFL players don't require a valid drivers license to do their job, and unless their contract stipulates that a DUI would result in suspension they should stay the fuck out of it unless there was personal injury involved..,, I believe the NFL has a policy already in place for weed and PEDs which, being part of collective bargaining mandates that all union members adhere to that policy..,

The problem is that the NFL is so shell shocked from the media bashing they got over Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson last year that their first reaction is to show their ass every time there is a controversy.., My opinion is they need to grow a new set of nuts to replace the ones they lost last year..,

The NFL is in the Entertainment business. If not for the league, the players would not have the ability to make what they earn. Who would want to pay Aaron Rodgers $110 M over five years, unless he is part of a team that competes within the framework of the NFL.  Without a team, and without a league, Mr. Rodgers isn't worth diddly squat. He might as well pump gas for a living. 

Yes, I can agree that players do not harm their teams by taking drugs, or getting arrested for DUI. The most trouble they cause for their teams is the loss of playing time, which the team should be allowed to deduct anyway. However, most of the time the courtroom appearances, and time served is during a time when the player is not performing. So, there is often no direct affect on the team or league. However, there is a thing called Goodwill. Goodwill is a commodity.

Businesses can attach an economic worth to their brand for the Goodwill they generate. Let's use Microsoft for example. A simple program that runs independently may be worth a certain amount of money. Even though it is better than other products it competes with, the price it can derive from the sale of its product is substantially limited by its brand. Lets say a company such as Microsoft snatches up the smaller company. The product that company produced is not worth one penny more because of what it can do. It is worth many times more than it used to be worth because it is under a brand that is identifiable, and one in which people are willing to pay substantially more for. So, the product improvements did not cause the program to generate more money. No, it was the Goodwill that was attributed to it by its new association with Microsoft. 

How does that work or does that work with the NFL? First, does it work for the NFL?  YES! Emphatically YES! The NFL is a great product, but it generates many more dollars than it did when it was new to the marketplace. The growth of the popularity of the product causes the NFL to generate more money than ever before. This is why businesses are willing to pay premium dollars to advertise at the Super Bowl. It is why business pay money to serve XYZ beer or XYZ cola at the games. This is why an official NFL product can sell for 2 to 3 times the price of another product without the merchandising license. 

What does one DUI or one reefer cost the NFL? It is sooo big, could one event affect the product?  No, probably not. However, it is not one, but the culmination of negative events that conspire to decrease the market value of the end product. If one violation to the law brought a scant amount of negative publicity, the accumulation of negative press brings much more. So, why should the league penalize the individual with a single issue that probably did not hurt the league all that much? The reason goes back to the theory of the straw that broke the camel's back. Which straw actually broke the camel's back if there were ten thousand straws? The answer is all of them. They all took equal share in breaking the camel's back. So, we could very easily put a price on the damage of one straw on the back of a camel. The first part of this problem is determining the cost of the camel. Let's say the cost of the camel was $10,000. That seems to be a lot of money, but camels are scarce in western Kentucky, and I suppose the same is true in Kansas City. Now, if there were 10,000 straws on the camel, then each straw cost the owner of the camel $1. The owner could say straw number 10,000 broke the back of the camel, and therefore, that straw should be penalized the amount of a camel.... $10,000. However, that would be unfair. As stated, on its own, that straw had no effect on camel. So, the answer is all violating straws attributed $1 damage apiece. 

Back to the NFL, and smoking weed. Does one event cost the NFL its goodwill? Probably not. However, it has been shown that enough negative events can carry a hefty price on the league. Look at what happened to Hockey when the players all went on strike. The league almost did not recover. The product lost much of its prominence, and took a long time to recover. So, there has to be a judgement somewhere that the cost of an individual act is worth X in money or time off. 

Do I sympathize with the players, especially those who live in a state where MJ is decriminalized? Sure thing. However, they all count equally in helping build up the goodwill of the NFL, and tearing it down. 

NFL players don't require a valid drivers license to do their job, and unless their contract stipulates that a DUI would result in suspension they should stay the ---- out of it unless there was personal injury involved.

Should Driving Under the Influence be decriminalized except in instances where someone is hurt or killed?

Remember, DUI is not just used for folks who have been drinking. DUI is driving under the influence so if he was ticketed for for being under the influence of pot then the NFL has all the right in the world to go after anyone within the NFL sinc they have a 0 use policy for drugs. Too many people are looking at the DUI as a drinking only thing.

Goodwill is generally derived from acquisitions of smaller companies by a larger brand. The goodwill is not obtained because the purchasing company is seen as "more valuable." It is usually derived from the value paid by the purchasing company over and above the real market value of the acquired firm's assets because of the perceived value of that acquired company's brand. When a company like Yahoo! purchases Tumblr, for instance, the real value of Tumblr may only be $500 million dollars. However, Yahoo! paid $1.1 billion. The extra $600 million dollars is largely for brand name recognition, which are largely intangible assets (aside from any patents and copyrights). This is where goodwill comes from. Goodwill cannot be created out of thin air and has nothing to do with the purchasing company.

Should Driving Under the Influence be decriminalized except in instances where someone is hurt or killed?

If it violates the collective bargaining agreement then they should be disciplined.., If not, its none of the NFLs fucking business..,

You can what if this shit to death.., But you make the rules and you follow them.., You don't go changing shit up every time a special interest pisses and moans.., The NFL needs to reclaim their eggs in my opinion..,

If it violates the collective bargaining agreement then they should be disciplined.., If not, its none of the NFLs fucking business..,

You can what if this shit to death.., But you make the rules and you follow them.., You don't go changing shit up every time a special interest pisses and moans.., The NFL needs to reclaim their eggs in my opinion..,

To answer your initial question, It is the NFL's business per their Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse (2010), which is specifically referred to for such incidents in the CBA in Article 42 (Club Discipline), Section 6 (NFL Drug and Steroid Policies). Part III, Section B of that document specifically addresses Alcohol-Related Offenses.

If its what you signed up for, then  that's what it is..,

What happens in anyone else's work environment is irrelevant I would assume..,

Only reason I brought up "my" environment would be to press the fact that most of us would be terminated immediately for the same acts. I favor the fact that the NFL has these policies. They are fair, to be quite honest, given what any other normal working adult would face under similar circumstances.

I happen to especially approve disciplinary measures taken by individual clubs that go beyond the mere slap-on-the-wrist censures handed down by the NFL. If you think that the league disciplines for flagrant DUI/DWI violation convictions and No Contest pleas are somehow severe, you've fundamentally lost your moral compass by any reasonable definition.

This is not intended as a personal attack. Rather, it is a plea for anyone who doesn't understand the societal costs of operating machinery while mentally impaired by a substance of any kind to become educated on the subject. The life such information could save, when applied, could be your own.

Archived