How Good is this Defense Today?

Lets just look at how it stands today without the draft. Ford, Hali, Houston pressure and Johson back. I think it is a top 5-10 assuming Johnson returns to form. Ford should contribute more. Johnson should greatly improve the run defense.

Agree that we can't expect DJ to return to his form of two years ago.  That's why the Chiefs should draft an ILB on the second day.  The secondary could be better with a more experienced CB opposite Smith and anything from DeVito is a bonus.  Overall, the defense has a good chance of being a little better against the pass and a good deal better against the run than last fall.

I am not a professional athlete but I had the same injury. Long after the surgery and rehab there is still this mental thing to overcome. It was 2 years before I trusted it again. DJ will be in an environment where he has to come and contribute right now. Very tough to do. He is obviously better suited to make a full recovery. Hope I am wrong.

Even if DJ is not back to 2013 level (which a year off alone would suggest even without injury) he is still a huge boost over every other ILB on the team. He with help Mauga be better as well. He is a leader out there that was sorely missed.

I think we need to get better in coverage because Houston will not get 20+ sacks again most likely. but Gaines has more experience that last year.

I expect very similar overall. Weaker on pass and stronger on run.

I am not a professional athlete but I had the same injury. Long after the surgery and rehab there is still this mental thing to overcome. It was 2 years before I trusted it again. DJ will be in an environment where he has to come and contribute right now. Very tough to do. He is obviously better suited to make a full recovery. Hope I am wrong.

Wilkie, I would assume that DJ, being an athlete, would be more prepared to handle coming back from this kind of injury than someone like you and me. I say this with no intent to slander or cause an argument, but I believe pro athletes are better prepared to come back from these types of situations, especially now a days.

I saw a video of DJ practicing his footwork at high speed and dodging obstacles.  Very impressive performance. Not only is he a driven type of player, but orthopedic medicine and rehab science has advanced greatly in the last few years.  To compare his recovery with that of players from even five years ago would be a mistake.  I think he will be back, he will be very good, and he won't be tentative.

Archived