Most obvious first-round draft need

There's an article up on NFL.com entitled "Seven teams with most obvious first-round draft need".

I am certainly no authority on needs of teams, even the Chiefs, much less the rest of the NFL. However, I found it encouraging that of the seven teams discussed, all of the other three teams in the AFC West were included, except the Chiefs.

I realize that it is one guy's opinion and I realize that the need only encompasses one position, but it's still encouraging to me. How long has it been since the Chiefs fielded a team with no glaring holes, so that they were not part of such a discussion?

Chiefs really don't have a specific position they NEED to draft. Dorsey has done a damn fine job of getting stop gaps in place for the holes we currently have. 

We can really go anywhere we want in the draft and it can truly be best player available. CB or OL is the most logical, but Dorsey is going to stay true to the board. 

Maybe it's not "obvious", but the Chiefs need a RT and ILB.  Sure, they have people penciled in but they need to get better in pass protection and rush defense.  WR and CB are needs as well.  Guess it depends on how one defines "obvious".

RT imo is down to 3 guys. Jeff Allen, Donald Stephenson, and Derek Sherrod. Allen and Stephenson are in contract years and Sherrod is a former 1st round pick who wants to get back into the fold, he played well but an injury derailed him(actually happened in the Chiefs/Packers game when Orton took us to victory)

It will be an interesting camp battle but I don't see it as a top need so to speak. ILB or CB is something we need to address. DJ isn't getting any younger and Muaga isn't the answer. Sean Smith is probably gone after this year, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Dorsey draft his replacement in round 1 as he has done in the past 2 drafts (Fisher/Albert Ford/Hali)

We gotta get a back up NT at some point. If Shelton falls to us, we better take him.

What about Agholor, WR, USC? Would you take him at #18? He has great hands and runs perfect routes. His stock is rising.

Would not take Agholor in round 1. I am going to be taking a WR in round 1 in my "what I want mock," but he ain't the one. :D

That should also tell you that I still, personally, feel like WR remains the number one need early in the draft for KC. In fact, WR remains a position I feel should be visited multiple times early.

The Chiefs have Jeremy Maclin. They have potential in Albert Wilson. Who else do the Chiefs actually have that shows promise yet?

I don't think the Chiefs have any desperate needs. John Dorsey has done a good job at filling all positions of need in free agency. 

The Chiefs will pick the best player available in the draft. Now, that may not be the player we think is the BPA. It may not be the BPA all the talking heads, and so called experts think it should be. What matters is who John Dorsey believes is the BPA for this team, this year. That is it. That is why Dorsey dumbfounded others by picking Dee Ford first in his draft last season. I thought it was a horrible pick. However, I don't get the right to make those selections. Dee Ford was NOT picked to fill a position of need. On John Dorsey's chart at 18, there remained one player, and Dorsey took him. If that happened last year, then why in the world would it not happen this time around? It Will!

Would not take Agholor in round 1. I am going to be taking a WR in round 1 in my "what I want mock," but he ain't the one. :D

That should also tell you that I still, personally, feel like WR remains the number one need early in the draft for KC. In fact, WR remains a position I feel should be visited multiple times early.

The Chiefs have Jeremy Maclin. They have potential in Albert Wilson. Who else do the Chiefs actually have that shows promise yet?

I agree Crow.., I wouldn't complain at all if we took the best available WR at 18.., Even DGB.., Another first rate WR would kick start the offense like nobody's business..,

Probably gonna be OL thought..,

I agree Crow.., I wouldn't complain at all if we took the best available WR at 18.., Even DGB.., Another first rate WR would kick start the offense like nobody's business..,

Probably gonna be OL thought..,

My current thought is something similar to what Reid had in Philadelphia with Maclin and Jackson as the starting duo and there are a couple really good fits for that type of player in this draft.

I just don't see Dorsey going WR in the first unless somebody falls. It is just not a high priority with AS as the QB and already having Maclin.

Another stud TE would be more plausible. There is probably not one with a 1st round ranking, outside of Williams. Watch out for Walford in the 2nd.

Of those probably available at 18, I would pick:

Malcolm Brown

Eric Flowers

Kevin Johnson

Yep. WR is a must

Kelce and DAT are basically WR's in my mind. I don't see Dorsey jumping at a WR early for that reason.

I agree man. I would like to see us take two with our first four picks. 

However, I don't think the plan is to throw it down the field like Reid did when he had Maclin and Jackson. Reid didn't have as much success with that. He also had big armed gun slinging QBs. I think we will continue to be much more in line with the early to mid 00's offenses. Charles will continue to catch balls out of the backfield like Westbrook. That will remain the focal point imo.

Alex just isn't going to let it rip very often. They know that and they resigned him. A vertical offense is not what they have in mind imo.

I don't think the plan is to throw it down the field like Reid did when he had Maclin and Jackson. Reid didn't have as much success with that. He also had big armed gun slinging QBs. I think we will continue to be much more in line with the early to mid 00's offenses. Charles will continue to catch balls out of the backfield like Westbrook. That will remain the focal point imo.

Alex just isn't going to let it rip very often. They know that and they resigned him. A vertical offense is not what they have in mind imo.

Between 2001 and 2004 Andy Reid's Eagles had four Conference Championship Game appearances and one Super Bowl appearance. He also won the Coach of the Year award in 2002. Those teams are what Reid wants to build the Chiefs into.

Between 2001 and 2004 Andy Reid's Eagles had four Conference Championship Game appearances and one Super Bowl appearance. He also won the Coach of the Year award in 2002. Those teams are what Reid wants to build the Chiefs into.

Exactly and the offense he used during those years is very similar to what we are seeing in KC. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paulie

Andy will always want to run a vertical offense.

That's why he had the talk with Alex during the bye in 2013 and wanted him to throw deep in the opener in 2014. It's also why they have targeted guys with elite wheels since the regime change.

Thomas

Maclin

Wilson

Davis

Harris

Etc

Guest Paulie

You know why we didn't throw deep a lot last year?

We lost 3 defensive starters right away (lessening the margin for error) we lost Bowe and Stephenson to suspension...Avery and Allen to injury...

Who was supposed to hold a block long enough to let a play develop?

Who was supposed to beat his coverage to get open deep?

I just heard from another well placed source that says Kush is the real deal, and verified to me what I heard about the Chiefs wanting to start Kush at Center, but decided to keep Hudson there due to that being his contract year. Hudson was a better option at LG, an Kush was the better option at Center. 

We do not need a Center if this is true. We need a backup. 

There are no huge needs at this point. Allen and Stephenson will compete for RT. If the Chiefs decide neither is good enough, then we will draft a RT. However, the Chiefs did also pick up a T from GB, who was pretty good before suffering a serious injury. Also, LDT has a year under his belt. He is back at school in Canada, so he's probably not been able to dedicated himself as we would hope. However, there is a reason why the Chiefs were willing to put up with the guy, who is balancing medical school with the NFL. Right now, Med School is the driving force. However, that will be over next year. After that, we get LDT full time. I expect to see good things. He's raw, but has the size, smarts, and athleticism to be exceptional. 

You know why we didn't throw deep a lot last year?

We lost 3 defensive starters right away (lessening the margin for error) we lost Bowe and Stephenson to suspension...Avery and Allen to injury...

Who was supposed to hold a block long enough to let a play develop?

Who was supposed to beat his coverage to get open deep?

And that's why the Chiefs need to strengthen the O-line more than they need a #1 WR from the draft.  Give Smith another .5 seconds of fewer line breakdowns and the offense will be much better.  The Chiefs do need another WR, hopefully one that can contribute this fall, but they can wait until the second day to get one.  I'm sticking to O-line, ILB, WR, and CB with the order of the last two depending on availability.

I really don't think it will be o-line. Green Bay never has a great o-line and that's where Dorsey learned. They don't put a lot of money in their o-line and we won't either. We have a mobile QB, our offense is based around a RB, and we've won 20 games with what we've had. Plus, we let Albert and Hudson walk. Jeff Allen will be back and Stephenson won't get suspended. We traded for a pro bowl guard and signed another one. I really don't think is as much of priority to Dorsey as some of you think. Hell, our WRs didn't even score a TD last year and we still won nine games. We don't throw the ball down the field. Who needs serious pass blocking? It's about running the ball, a short passing game, and playing good defense. 

Archived