Most obvious first-round draft need

I think we didn't have protection enough for a deep game. Plus I don't think the deep game wins championships. Balance wins championships. Philly was the best (and most balanced) team in football and didn't win one so who knows. With the parity we have. Any top 15 team has a legit shot at a title IMHO.

I like that Andy has a respect for both.

O-line was awful. For some reason some think this collection of injury prone below avg guys are suddenly going to change. Get me two starters in the draft and these journeymen become reserves. More time tp pass opens the run game. More clock control makes the defense better. Play with the lead and attack their QB. O-line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't think it will be o-line. Green Bay never has a great o-line and that's where Dorsey learned. They don't put a lot of money in their o-line and we won't either. We have a mobile QB, our offense is based around a RB, and we've won 20 games with what we've had. Plus, we let Albert and Hudson walk. Jeff Allen will be back and Stephenson won't get suspended. We traded for a pro bowl guard and signed another one. I really don't think is as much of priority to Dorsey as some of you think. Hell, our WRs didn't even score a TD last year and we still won nine games. We don't throw the ball down the field. Who needs serious pass blocking? It's about running the ball, a short passing game, and playing good defense. 

The running game starts with the line.  Keeping possession after a third and ten starts with the line.  Dinking and dunking down the field works sometimes, but the Chiefs need at least a threat in all aspects of offense.  Finally, Smith got hit way too many times last season.  I don't care who or how touchdowns are scored, but as long as the blocking is there, the offense won't be a drag.  Who knows what kind of RT Allen will be or if Stephenson will crawl out of the dog house?  The FA RG isn't one to inspire a ton of confidence and I consider him as holding the position only until the Chiefs draft someone better.  La'el Collins could play either position and I just hope he's still there at #18.  If the Chiefs don't go line in the first, I'd rather see a CB ahead of WR.

Reid and Dorsey have made it clear again that they are in a position to draft BPA, and I think they will, at least through round 3.  I agree with those who say they have no glaring holes to fill.  With 10 picks, Reid and Dorsey are studied up and primed to determine the face of the franchise for years to come.  I like that they are studying character as much as talent and ability.  That will result in some surprises.  If we pick O-line or CB, or WR or safety in the early rounds, it will simply be coincidence.  They will be BPA's (unless they are lying to keep other teams confused...and there is something to be said for that).  But they have done their homework and have 150 players rated top to bottom.  There won't be any hesitation.  They will quickly pick whoever the next BPA player that is available on their chart when their turn comes around.

Another reason they can do that, is that many feel they have the best position coaches in all of football.  Whoever they pick will be taught by the best.

Reid and Dorsey have made it clear again that they are in a position to draft BPA, and I think they will, at least through round 3.  I agree with those who say they have no glaring holes to fill.  With 10 picks, Reid and Dorsey are studied up and primed to determine the face of the franchise for years to come.  I like that they are studying character as much as talent and ability.  That will result in some surprises.  If we pick O-line or CB, or WR or safety in the early rounds, it will simply be coincidence.  They will be BPA's (unless they are lying to keep other teams confused...and there is something to be said for that).  But they have done their homework and have 150 players rated top to bottom.  There won't be any hesitation.  They will quickly pick whoever the next BPA player that is available on their chart when their turn comes around.

Another reason they can do that, is that many feel they have the best position coaches in all of football.  Whoever they pick will be taught by the best.

I like the "best player available at a position of need" philosophy.  Crow addressed that very well in another thread.

I am in agreement with the "BPA at a Position of Need" and I am NOT sold on Kush at this point.  Why did he never see the field last year?  The Chiefs should have at least let the guy take some snaps.

Damn, I am agreeing with Wilkie.....very dangerous ground. :D

w

Kush didn't see the field last season because Hudson was playing very well and was the only lineman who was above average.  The Chiefs couldn't afford to insert Kush just to get experience if it meant taking out their best lineman.  Same for Dee Ford although he did get in a few times.  It's hard to break in if they're playing behind pro bowl quality regulars.  That doesn't mean they aren't or will be good players in their own right when their time comes.

Kush didn't see the field last season because Hudson was playing very well and was the only lineman who was above average. The Chiefs couldn't afford to insert Kush just to get experience if it meant taking out their best lineman. Same for Dee Ford although he did get in a few times. It's hard to break in if they're playing behind pro bowl quality regulars. That doesn't mean they aren't or will be good players in their own right when their time comes.

Well said. People were down on Ford. When the hell was he going to play!? Tamba, Houston, Baily,

Etc... That was our strength.

Guest Bilyous2

Well said. People were down on Ford. When the hell was he going to play!? Tamba, Houston, Baily,

Etc... That was our strength.

Yes. Well said.  And you know what else?  I think it supports the argument that Dorsey and Reid draft what they think is BPA, because that was NOT a position of need.  It was looking ahead to when Hali retires or Houston gets away, which they thought was a real possibility.  It certainly was not a position of need at the time.

Yes. Well said. And you know what else? I think it supports the argument that Dorsey and Reid draft what they think is BPA, because that was NOT a position of need. It was looking ahead to when Hali retires or Houston gets away, which they thought was a real possibility. It certainly was not a position of need at the time.

And that's why I'm now convinced we go cb.

Archived