The Beard wanted to come back, the chiefs said no thanks

We need a TE that can block.

Kelce and Harris are more pass catching TE's. (although Kelce is a beast blocking, but is better suited going out for passes)

The Beard was a horrible blocker, he is another pass catching TE and with the emergence of Kelce and Harris, is no longer needed. 

Also, he probably burned some bridges, and how could the coaching staff/front office have any trust that he won't retire again.

You give a guy a chance and then he bails on you in July?  I mean, that is very flaky and you just can't count on a guy like that.  If you are going to retire, don't wait until after the draft and after June 1 cuts are all signed to do it.  Good riddens.

You give a guy a chance and then he bails on you in July?  I mean, that is very flaky and you just can't count on a guy like that.  If you are going to retire, don't wait until after the draft and after June 1 cuts are all signed to do it.  Good riddens.

Bingo, Chiefs could of really screwed him by not cutting him til the final cut downs. They did him a favor by cutting him immediately

Bingo, Chiefs could of really screwed him by not cutting him til the final cut downs. They did him a favor by cutting him immediately

Great point. They actually did him a favor. The problem for the Beard is he is barely good enough to play in this league. I like Shawn McGrath. I think there is plenty of room for quirky personalities, and I happen to like nonconformists. However, there are unwritten rules in the NFL, and it looks as if McGrath broke one. Leaving the game for a passion other than football is entirely alright with me. However, I am not his General Manager. In the NFL you have to be dedicated to the sport, and to your teammates. 

The problem for McGrath is he went through waivers without a single team taking him. He is now a free agent in search of a team. It may not be fair, but teams will look at what happened with KC, and probably determine Shawn lacks a love for the game. They may even determine he is not loyal to his teammates. Although I feel this is unfair, there are ample cases where a player who had a chance blew it, and never got another shot. 

I hope McGrath gets another shot if that is what he wants. If he really wants to play football, I hope he get to. It may not happen. 

On blocking ability... yes, he was not a great blocker. McGrath had an unusual ability to find the open space. He had good hands, and decent athleticism. He was a good player, and he helped the Chiefs win a few games. He was a nice character on an interesting team, but may forever be nothing more than a footnote. 

I largely agree E. Rolando McClain did the same thing. I do think someone will swing a vet minimum deal for the guy for a season and see what happens. He has enough talent to play at least as a #3 TE in this league and it isn't like TE is a position that is overstocked in the NFL with talent. I can't blame the Chiefs for saying no thanks, I would have too. Let another team take a chance on his commitment.

I got the impression he wanted to come back to the game but not in Kansas City. Wish him the best.

Could be, but I don't think he has a choice either way. It is not going to be easy for him to just pop back into the league. Maybe a team will add him mid-season as injuries mount. 

On blocking ability... yes, he was not a great blocker. McGrath had an unusual ability to find the open space. He had good hands, and decent athleticism. He was a good player, and he helped the Chiefs win a few games. He was a nice character on an interesting team, but may forever be nothing more than a footnote. 

I really liked Sean McGrath at a time when Anthony Fasano had just missed half of a season and Travis Kelce had missed all of it. Now we know that Kelce is better than Fasano by a large margin, and that Demetrius Harris may be a capable TE2. I really wanted McGrath back for 2014, but in 2015 and with a year away from football he would have trouble making the roster even without the question of whether or not he had 'a love for the game'. The Chiefs lose little by releasing McGrath. If depth proves to be an issue at tight end, McGrath could realistically become a mid-season acquisition.

I really liked Sean McGrath at a time when Anthony Fasano had just missed half of a season and Travis Kelce had missed all of it. Now we know that Kelce is better than Fasano by a large margin, and that Demetrius Harris may be a capable TE2. I really wanted McGrath back for 2014, but in 2015 and with a year away from football he would have trouble making the roster even without the question of whether or not he had 'a love for the game'. The Chiefs lose little by releasing McGrath. If depth proves to be an issue at tight end, McGrath could realistically become a mid-season acquisition.

I hope Harris is ready to step it up. The Chiefs need him to be the other TE. I want the Chiefs to go after a TE in the draft, just not in the first three rounds. I actually think Blake Bell could become a decent TE. I know he is far below the curve right now, but you have to look at guys like that through a different prism. He has shown the ability to run the ball, and is tough. He can catch the ball. However, he is not smooth. Well, Bell has only been at TE for a year. He is bound to be robotic. Draft Bell in the 4th or 5th. If he doesn't work out, then you haven't lost much. If he learns how to smooth out his patterns, he could be a nice compliment to T K.  

yes those 3 TE could be nearly unstoppable. And Alex smith can work that scheme..

wouldn't be enraged if they go for a guy like maxx willams in the 2nd or that fast kid they worked out in the

4th or so ....

Travis Kelce is the only professional TE we have on the roster. You gotta kidding me thinking Harris or Gordon are better than McGrath.

Yep, that's the truth. We've been waiting for something to happen in those three TE sets for years imo. Just get a solid back up who's decent all around and a third stringer who can really block.

Travis Kelce is the only professional TE we have on the roster. You gotta kidding me thinking Harris or Gordon are better than McGrath.

If it weren't for the fact that McGrath unexpectedly retired from the NFL in 2014, Gordon's roster spot would probably have been at risk back in 2014. I'm not sure that anyone is arguing that Gordon is a better tight end than McGrath.

The problem here has been that you need a tie-breaking system when trying to resolve which players will be on your 53-man roster, and while ability is an important measure of a player's value relative to his roster spot, it's not the lone consideration. Gordon has more upside than McGrath, and he hasn't spent a year away from football.

I really liked McGrath, because he coiuld get open and catch the ball, and that beard was crazy.  But the fact is that he is not big enough to block effectively as a TE.  We only saw him on passing plays, and that was for a reason.

Sean McGrath ran a 4.78 40, which is not great, but would be considered good this year in the draft. That may highlight the problems at TE in the draft this year. Other than a few players at TE, their times are rather pedestrian. McGrath was regarded as a LS by scouts rather than primarily a TE. He is big enough to play TE, but entirely too soft to be in at any other time than passing situations. 

I do think the Chiefs will consider taking a TE. Some guys I like are Walford (3rd rd), Blake Bell (5th rd), and maybe Tyler Kroft  (5th rd or later). I also like Maxx Williams, but just not well enough for where he is likely to fall in the draft. 

Richard Gordon is seldom spoken of, but just remind me, why is he not considered better than some of those in the current draft? He gets overlooked. Gordon has decent size, and can block well. If Harris develops, then I don't foresee a real need at TE other than finding a guy to develop. 

Archived