Chiefs Draft Day Possible Trades

Are you saying the Eagles would give the Chiefs something to move up two slots to get Kendricks? Why wouldn't he be available at #20 unless they think the Chiefs want him at #18? Maybe I'm missing your whole idea.

They would trade us only if #19 team wanted Kendricks. They wouldn't trade only if we wanted the guy, in fact, it would be less likely if we did.

Mychal Kendricks plays ILB for the Eagles, he was taken in the draft by Andy Reid and he's only 24 years old, his brother Eric Kendricks is in this years draft.

My mistake.  The rumor is that MYCHAL Kendricks could be going to Green Bay but if the Chiefs got him, I'd not be disappointed.  The question is why would the Eagles trade away their best defender.

My mistake. The rumor is that MYCHAL Kendricks could be going to Green Bay but if the Chiefs got him, I'd not be disappointed. The question is why would the Eagles trade away their best defender.

probably the same reason they traded away their best rb

Baltimore and Dallas fight each move up to 18 in order to select the remaining running back after Todd Gurley is picked. Baltimore, desperate to add a running back, exchanges their #26 for KC # 18, #90, and #125, plus exchanging their  #158 for KC #193. 

KC begins the draft with #26, and surprises all by drafting DT Malcom Brown. Heads spin.

Day two, the Chiefs have #49, #80, #90, and #98, but mystify experts by trading Knile Davis to Cleveland for their #77. 

49 - Ronald Darby - cb

77 - Duke Johnson - rb

80 - D'Joun Smith -  cb,  

90 - Cedric Ogbuehi - rt  (injured)

98 - Josh Shaw - fs

Day 3, and no wr worries some KC fans, but not to worry. Also, Donald Stephenson is traded for a player in the 2016 draft

118 Trey McBride - wr

125 Ramik Wilson - ilb

158 Daren Waller - wr

172 Blake Bell - te

173 Nick Marshall - cb

193 Xavier Williams - nt

217 Greg Mancz - c

233 Malcom Agnew - rb

I still think Mariotta could fall. If he does, we are in prime position to trade #18 picking ahead of Cleveland (2nd pick) and Philadelphia. However, I really don't think Dorsey is ever that interested in moving back.

Back to the OP. 

It's nearly impossible to predict trades, especially outside of the top ten where a few teams telegraph their desires.  I think trading down is usually a good thing since more picks means greater odds of getting usable players.  If the Chiefs have their sights set of La el Collins and he drops to 18, they would be foolish to trade but if it's some of the other players some posters have selected, then they could trade down and still get their man.  Mock drafts that include trades might be fun to contemplate, but they're seldom predictive.

I wanna send 18 to New Orleans for 31 and 44. They probably want as many bodies as possible after this hellacious offseason though so it's not especially likely.

That's one to look at too. There should be some opportunities to find trading partners. Of course, other teams may desire to trade back as well. 

I decided to entertain some of Terez Paylor's ideas. He posted a mock whereby the Chiefs went with Malcom Brown at 18. I looked at the draft, and it seemed to me if he got by a couple of teams he would still be there at 26 or 27. 

Reasons to draft Malcom Brown are not initially apparent. However, Paylor points out it would be in line with how Dorsey drafts for the future instead of now. Dorsey has made several off season moves that enable him to go get the best player available. Will Brown be available at 18 or even at 26? I don't know, but it is possible. 

The reasons not to draft Brown are that there is not an immediate need for a DT/DE. True. However, as Paylor pointed out DeVito is not likely to be renewed past this season. Also, the Chiefs have given Allen Bailey a boat load of money, so they will not want to spend too much at LDE for 2016. It takes a year for guys like this to adjust themselves to the NFL. That is probably the main reason Dorsey used his first round pick to draft Dee Ford. Ford is a rush line backer, similar to Houston. This was interesting to me since everyone thought he would be groomed to replace Hali. However, Houston has made himself into more than merely a rush linebacker. Similar to Dee Ford, Malcom Brown has tons of potential, but needs some seasoning. 

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article18866343.html

Second round selection, Ronald Darby. Darby lacks some ideal height, but he is close enough at 5'10 5/8". He needs to put on some bulk, and he will do that during the season. Similar to Malcom Brown, Darby has nice measurables, but needs to be developed. One thing you cannot teach is 4.37 speed, and a 41.5" vertical jump. He is supremely athletic, but is susceptible to inside moves. What is wrong with Darby can be fixed. He is probably never going to be a tremendous tackler, but I give corners a break when it comes to tackling as long as they can shut down the opposing receiver. If a corner is called on to tackle a running back, then someone else has done something wrong. If a corner can shut down a receiver, there is no need for him to tackle. 

Looking at corner backs in this draft with the necessary tools to play at a high level, Darby represents the best value in the draft. He has the potential to be a good replacement for Sean Smith next year when Smith leaves for free agency. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived